How would hemalurgy affect the Fused?

Proletariat

Question

I'm just curious as to what exactly people think would happen?

Given the Fused generally resurrect would this rip their soul to pieces and prevent a revival? Would they come back lacking the power ripped from them? Come back more insane due to a wrecked soul? Or would it not affect them at all and just target the Parshendi host? 

11 answers to this question

The Parshendi host is dead and the body itself transforms to develop characteristics of the Fused's body. If enough of their soul is torn using Hemalurgy they probably would go (even more) insane, among other possible additional side effects. Going by the WoBs regarding Hemalurgy almost anything can be stolen by Hemalurgy, I imagine including the various abilities of the Fused like their version of the Surges, resurrection, maybe even the capacity to listen to the Rhythms or have a Gemheart 

Edited by Honorless

They already get killed by shardblades, it's just another form of spiritual damage. Brandon has talked about healing shardblade wounds as regrowing sections of the spiritweb that have been sliced off. Most likely it does enough damage that it forces them out of the body and they go back to the Everstorm to get reborn after replacing that part of their soul with more investiture.

On 9/9/2020 at 9:47 AM, wildcard09 said:

They probably already use it. Remember that knife that killed Jezrien? 

Actually, that was more in line with the principles of Fabrial science than Hemalurgy. If you re-read that scene, when Moash kills Jezrien, the gemstone on the pommel of the knife starts glowing, much like when you capture a spren in a gemstone. If they used Hemalurgy, whatever they took from Jezrien would reside in the metal and would be losing power if they don't store it blood or a living host. 

As for the Fused, whoever is doing the Hemalurgy would need to do some serious experimentation to figure out how to steal the specific things they would want to steal(assuming they have a goal beyond killing the Fused). There are a lot of different bindpoints and metals that can only be used for specific purposes that one would need to know of to even begin figuring out how to steal a Fused's ability. Though access to Atium would obviously make this much easier to accomplish.  

On 9/9/2020 at 11:10 AM, Karger said:

Same as anyone else.  We do have confirmation from Mistborn the CS can be effected by hemalurgy.  In fact if it is probably one of the best way of dealing with the fused permanently.

Which element from Mistborn speaks to this? I only remember seeing hemalurgical changes seen as undone in the Cognitive Realm - in Secret History, when Ghost Kelsier sees former koloss appearing after being killed as humans again.

Just now, robardin said:

Which element from Mistborn speaks to this? I only remember seeing hemalurgical changes seen as undone in the Cognitive Realm - in Secret History, when Ghost Kelsier sees former koloss appearing after being killed as humans again.

Ghost Kel did hemalurgy on himself.

4 minutes ago, Karger said:

Ghost Kel did hemalurgy on himself.

When did he do this? I totally don't recall ... I remember him swallowing a bolt from a chair and trying to burn it, which had no effect, as the extent of him trying to use the Metallic Arts known to him while in a shadow in the CR. And at the end, he gets Spook to insert a spike in the Physical Realm to be able to appear/talk to him.

When does he spike himself, how and with what? I'll go back and find it

Just now, robardin said:

When did he do this? I totally don't recall ... I remember him swallowing a bolt from a chair and trying to burn it, which had no effect, as the extent of him trying to use the Metallic Arts known to him while in a shadow in the CR. And at the end, he gets Spook to insert a spike in the Physical Realm to be able to appear/talk to him.

When does he spike himself, how and with what? I'll go back and find it

It was implied in the end of BoM

2 minutes ago, Frustration said:

It was implied in the end of BoM

Ahhh that's what you mean.

I assume that was with some non-CR based help (i.e., Spook doing something in the Physical Realm). I can't see how a literal ghost in the CR could pull it off.

But we'll see, won't we!

2 minutes ago, robardin said:

I assume that was with some non-CR based help (i.e., Spook doing something in the Physical Realm). I can't see how a literal ghost in the CR could pull it off.

Regardless of who did the actual spiking Kelseir was clearly effected.

Questioner

In Bands of Mourning, we learned that the Sovereign, who they confused as being the Lord Ruler, came after the Catacendre. [He] was their god, was their king and god. And then Kelsier looking for a string. Is the spike somehow connecting Kelsier's soul to Spook's body.

Brandon Sanderson

No, good question. It is connecting his soul with his body, his current body, but it is not Spook's body. That's a great theory.

Arcanum Unbounded release party (Nov. 22, 2016)