RoW Chapter 6 Discussion

Jofwu

1 hour ago, Honorless said:

Kaladin thinks she's just testing him, but he learned all that maneuvering from copying, dueling & racing her

I smell something fishy here. Aren`t the Fused under Odium`s direct command? They wouldn`t do this, if Odium had not demanded it. Surely he is planning something. 

4 minutes ago, Diomedes said:

I smell something fishy here. Aren`t the Fused under Odium`s direct command? They wouldn`t do this, if Odium had not demanded it. Surely he is planning something. 

I don't think Odium micromanages them to that degree. This isn't a Ruin situation where he's mind controlled them all or anything. As we saw at the end of OB when some of them had a problem with following Dalinar, they're kept in line by the knowledge that Odium could yank away their immortality any time he wants. So they have free will as long as they don't annoy Odium enough to make him decide they're not worth keeping around, and presumably are allowed just do their own things most of time. 

14 minutes ago, Child of Hodor said:

I think 7 because he skipped some Shallan stuff in his reading of 7 & 8. Plus we need those epigraphs :) 

It should be ch 7 next week. I also was really hoping that we were going to get the cover today.  But I guess not cant wait to see it. 

4 minutes ago, Gilphon said:

I don't think Odium micromanages them to that degree. This isn't a Ruin situation where he's mind controlled them all or anything. As we saw at the end of OB when some of them had a problem with following Dalinar, they're kept in line by the knowledge that Odium could yank away their immortality any time he wants. So they have free will as long as they don't annoy Odium enough to make him decide they're not worth keeping around, and presumably are allowed just do their own things most of time. 

So my question is does Odium yanking away their immortality kill them? Also, Odium assumes that he can yank away their immortality, but that was perhaps before the Everstorm. Yes, it is Odium's storm, but it is now also a force on Roshar. Does a contest of champions limit what Odium can do? If Fused can continue to be reborn against the will of Odium then he may lose his hold on them. Another alternative that  might lead to a massive defection of the heavenly ones, is if they can some how become of Honor again. The Singers have provided the body, the Heavenly Ones provide the mind and replace the Singers soul, that should mean that there is still one spot left for another spren, unless they are called the fused because they Ancient Singer soul has already fused with an ancient spren. The point I'm trying to make is maybe they will end up like Venli. Having Honor Spren capture the voidish spren that allows them to have that form (and perhaps that is why Kalidin can't find more Honor spren). 

What I'm hoping for is a massive defection of the Heavenly Ones, who become the army of the reminant of the Listeners, with Venli and Relain, Leshwi, and a couple others on the Listener Council. They then become allies of the humans and keep half of Alethkar and the Shattered plains. And since this has become a wild theory, Because of this Listener/Singer kingdom, Nale and they Sky Breaker join them, thus fulfilling Nale's oath to serve the Singers, but fight Odium. 

Since everyone is shipping Kaladin with Leshwi, I feel it is my duty to ship Kaladin with any and all female characters, starting with the ardent Rushu.

Poor Rushu, who everyone thinks is a pretty face hiding a dun brain, but it clearly smarter than Navani gives her credit for. A little heavy-handed there, Brandon, but I'll allow it.

1 hour ago, bdoble97 said:

I think Leshwi and Kaladin are going to team up at some point. Probably to Kill Moash.

Why would Leshwi want to kill Moash? There would have to be some serious factionalism in the Fused ranks for the human endowed with an Honorblade and entrusted to kill Jezrien to be betrayed by those who took him in and gave him that power.

The Moash hate-fantasies have gone too far, methinks.

13 minutes ago, bdoble97 said:

Why do you say that. Are we not getting ch 7 next week. If not then pleas give us the cover 

Yeah, I really want to see the U.S. cover. Just to see it really. I don't expect it to reveal a ton about the plot. I'm tired of looking at that generic Stormlight 4 placeholder they use. :) 

4 minutes ago, Rainier said:

Since everyone is shipping Kaladin with Leshwi, I feel it is my duty to ship Kaladin with any and all female characters, starting with the ardent Rushu.

Poor Rushu, who everyone thinks is a pretty face hiding a dun brain, but it clearly smarter than Navani gives her credit for. A little heavy-handed there, Brandon, but I'll allow it.

Why would Leshwi want to kill Moash? There would have to be some serious factionalism in the Fused ranks for the human endowed with an Honorblade and entrusted to kill Jezrien to be betrayed by those who took him in and gave him that power.

The Moash hate-fantasies have gone too far, methinks.

I think he is going to go insain. And they will have to kill him bc he becomes to much of an issue for them 

8 minutes ago, Master Silver said:

So my question is does Odium yanking away their immortality kill them?

I would assume that it does not, that it would just stop them from coming back when killed. I feel like if Odium could just smite somebody with a thought, that would be a big deal and would be worth calling out directly. Even if it was limited to Voidspren-esque beings like the Fused. 

I don't think the Everstorm changes the picture much tough; he seems to have pretty direct control over the Everstorm. Indeed the Everstorm seems to be the only thing on Roshar he has direct control over; everything else he does is accomplished by working through his various minions.

11 minutes ago, bdoble97 said:

Oh I see I have not listen to ch 7 and 8. What about the cover when you think that will come out

Hopefully soon! Also, I may have overestimated how much of 7 and 8 he read. There's probably a lot he left out in his reading. We'll likely still have a lot to discuss about those chapters. I'm excited about the fabrial information for starters. 

1 hour ago, Pagerunner said:

The glowing orbs aren't an end to themselves; they would do something else when he used them, but he's dismissing these precursors before performing the real magic because he doesn't know any better.

My working theory is that they are buoys to something in the spiritual realm.  Possibly fortune. 

1 hour ago, Honorless said:

Did Dalinar, Bonded to the Stormfather, the shadow of Honor, ("the parent", on whose orders the Oathgate spren stopped allowing transition between the Realms), convince the Oathgate spren to allow it again?

Seems the most reasonable solution.  I am a bit worried as to why the gates were locked in the first place.

53 minutes ago, Diomedes said:

They seem to have some autonomy.  Otherwise Odium could probably design spren for this purpose rather then use once living singers.

19 minutes ago, Rainier said:

I am pretty sure she is gay.  She wanted to get away from men not women.

Edited by Karger

Different metals affect the captured spren in different ways?!?!?!  Allomancy cross-over into Fabrial tech?!?!?  Yes please.

Now to go read the actual chapter.  I didn't make it further than the epigraph before my gibbering commenced.

31 minutes ago, The Ryshadium said:

Hopefully soon! Also, I may have overestimated how much of 7 and 8 he read. There's probably a lot he left out in his reading. We'll likely still have a lot to discuss about those chapters. I'm excited about the fabrial information for starters. 

I am just excited for everything. There truly are  no other books like the Storm lights book in my opinion 

Indeed, she smiled, then—her off hand still pressed to her bleeding wound—she held out her own spear and pointed the tip downward. A draw, the gesture seemed to say.

Wait, was this a small mistake? Why is Leshwi bleeding when all her wounds were inflicted by Syl? Do shardblades interact differently with Fused?