metalminds

Hoid the Former Drifter

37 minutes ago, Hoid the Drifter said:

The books often mention full metalminds, but it seems like you can alway fill them more, based on a few accounts. (wax, wayne, sazed) so do they ever become full?

There is an upper limit.  However our main character use their powers so often that they have trouble reaching it.

Even though there is an upper limit, that upper limit seems to be pretty high. Sazed was able to store enough Speed for a weeks worth of running in just a couple Steelminds. I also personally think the skill of the Feruchemist might also affect the efficiency of the storage.

17 minutes ago, Hoid the Drifter said:

but even the bands of mourning weren't completely full (at least I don't think so, wax was able to sense them after all.)

Wax was using Bands after Marasi used them. In the begining, Wax wasnt able to sense them.

13 minutes ago, StanLemon said:

Even though there is an upper limit, that upper limit seems to be pretty high. Sazed was able to store enough Speed for a weeks worth of running in just a couple Steelminds. I also personally think the skill of the Feruchemist might also affect the efficiency of the storage.

I've wondered out this. If you had a given gold bracelet, would two feruchemist with different levels fill them to different extents? I've also wondered if you can gain more storage capacity simply by having a physically larger bracelet (or bracer or whatever). Like could Wayne sore more healing if he had a bigger bracers (or more or them). 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/6/2020 at 1:35 PM, PleatherDuster said:

I've wondered out this. If you had a given gold bracelet, would two feruchemist with different levels fill them to different extents? I've also wondered if you can gain more storage capacity simply by having a physically larger bracelet (or bracer or whatever). Like could Wayne sore more healing if he had a bigger bracers (or more or them). 

It's definitely what's been implied, but I don't know if it's ever been officially confirmed. Bracers and the like seem really impractical if it's the case.

On 8/6/2020 at 10:35 AM, PleatherDuster said:

I've also wondered if you can gain more storage capacity simply by having a physically larger bracelet (or bracer or whatever). Like could Wayne sore more healing if he had a bigger bracers (or more or them). 

Yes, which is part of why Miles carried so many goldminds at all times; he needed somewhere to store all that heath he had saved up through compounding. There's not a direct correlation between mass/volume and capacity but more metal generally means you can store more of an attribute in it.

Questioner

I was wondering if the size of a piece of metal determines the amount of Feruchemical charge that can be stored in it.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Questioner

So how does that scale, like, in terms of the volume or mass of the metal or...

Brandon Sanderson

It-- So I've talked about this before, I'm trying to remember exactly what I've told people-- It does not scale as logically as you think it does. How about that? It's more like certain thresholds. You can have a-- You can store a Hemalurgic or Feruchemical charge even in very small pieces of metal, but larger pieces of metal will let you get more.

Questioner

So it's kind of like there are different classes of sizes?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, kind of like that.

JordanCon 2016 (April 23, 2016)

Edited by Weltall

23 hours ago, StanLemon said:

I'm sure the skill of the Feruchemist must also play a part as well. The Bands were able to hold a ludicrous amount of Investiture despite their relatively small size.

Perception also probably plays a role, since most people think of Fueruchemical metalminds in terms of physical storage space, so the limits of what can be stored stay the same. Someone with more Realmatic knowledge might be able to store more despite never having used Feruchemy before.