Hoid Powers

Chinkoln

Hoid is arguably the most powerful non-Shardic being in the Cosmere.

He was on Sel and almost became an Elantrian.

He was on Roshar and stole a bead of Lerasium, making him one of the most powerful Mistborn ever. He may have access to unkeyed metal minds. He now has knowledge of Hemalurgy, but will most likely not make use of this power do to its more gruesome qualities.

He was on Taldain where he got a jar of sand and the expertise to use it.

He was on Roshar where he is now bonding a cryptic.

He was on Nalthis where he bought enough breaths to get him to at least the 5th heightening, maybe more.

He is from Yolen where he has access to a kind of Lightweaving native to that planet.

He was at the shattering of Adonalsium, where he became functionally immortal.

To recap, he is the 5th heightening, a full Mistborn, has access to 3 forms of Lightweaving, owns some unkeyed metal minds, can use Hemalurgy, is functionally immortal.

Am I missing anything?

4 minutes ago, Chinkoln said:

Hoid is arguably the most powerful non-Shardic being in the Cosmere.

He was on Sel and almost became an Elantrian.

He was on Roshar and stole a bead of Lerasium, making him one of the most powerful Mistborn ever. He may have access to unkeyed metal minds. He now has knowledge of Hemalurgy, but will most likely not make use of this power do to its more gruesome qualities.

He was on Taldain where he got a jar of sand and the expertise to use it.

He was on Roshar where he is now bonding a cryptic.

He was on Nalthis where he bought enough breaths to get him to at least the 5th heightening, maybe more.

He is from Yolen where he has access to a kind of Lightweaving native to that planet.

He was at the shattering of Adonalsium, where he became functionally immortal.

To recap, he is the 5th heightening, a full Mistborn, has access to 3 forms of Lightweaving, owns some unkeyed metal minds, can use Hemalurgy, is functionally immortal.

Am I missing anything?

Hoid is not a Sand Master mind you. He just has a jar of White Sand, which he seems to use as magic usage detection system.

2 kinds of Lightweaving, not 3

He also has access to Fortune, to know when & where he's needed

He also has access to some method of time dilation

I think that the fortune and time dilation comes from the shattering of Adonalsium. During that time, even if he didn't take a shard, there would have been stray power flowing everywhere, assuming there were 16 little boxes with labels like Odium, Preservation, Dominion. I have also heard that whatever weapon they used to kill Adonalsium used extreme power, and Hoid is now harnessing part of that to achieve his own goals.

14 minutes ago, Chinkoln said:

I think that the fortune and time dilation comes from the shattering of Adonalsium. During that time, even if he didn't take a shard, there would have been stray power flowing everywhere, assuming there were 16 little boxes with labels like Odium, Preservation, Dominion. I have also heard that whatever weapon they used to kill Adonalsium used extreme power, and Hoid is now harnessing part of that to achieve his own goals.

"stray power"? The moment Adonalsium was Shattered, all existing Investiture in the Cosmere got assigned to the Shards.

Questioner

I asked if there was there a pure form of Investiture that is not tied to any Shard, and you said that my question had some false premises. Can you elaborate on what I had wrong there?

Brandon Sanderson

The false premise, the main one, is that other Investiture is not pure. Investiture, by its definition, comes from a certain place. That's like saying, "Is there water that doesn't have hydrogen in it? Is there pure water without hydrogen? Can you take the hydrogen out, and make purer water?" That's the problem there. This idea that Investiture is impure because it's tied to a Shard is a false premise. That is pure Investiture.

Questioner

Is there Investiture that is not related to any Shard, then?

Brandon Sanderson

There can't be, because the Shards were what the original... it's like saying, "I've got four pieces of a cookie. Are there any pieces that didn't come from the original cookie." You just said, "There's four pieces of this cookie." What you really wanna be saying is, "Is there non-Adonalsium-origin power like Investiture in the cosmere?" Is that what you're getting at? Or are you getting at, "Is there one of the Shards that is not held by a sapient entity?" Like, you could be asking so many questions from these things that I don't know how to answer what you're looking for. So, think about those, and ask me some of those questions next time.

Arcanum Unbounded release party (Nov. 22, 2016)

While Brandon has confirmed that Hoid's immortality and regeneration comes from the weapon against Adonalsium, we don't have any information regarding the access to Fortune or the time dilation, though the latter can apparently often be found among Worldhoppers.

Oh, he also has Connection, which he uses to communicate on other worlds.

8 minutes ago, Honorless said:

"stray power"? The moment Adonalsium was Shattered, all existing Investiture in the Cosmere got assigned to the Shards.

It could have been power that did not divide.  That would make it of all the shards equally.

4 hours ago, Honorless said:

See above WoB

If you got an equal amount of cookie from each of the four pieces of a cookie then you could accurately say that it came from the OG cookie rather then from any of the pieces.