Draining color from wood and stone

nobodyinparticular

Hi Folks!

Not sure if this is necessary, but spoilers possibly.......

I was just wondering if anyone knows/asked B.S. about how color could be drained from wood and stone for Awakening? I go under the assumption that the colors people have come from the Tears of Edgli which "drink" the investiture from the Perpendicularity that then provides the necessary addition to Investiture when performing Awakenings. Now that might be ENTIRELY wrong. But if that assumption is at all accurate, does anybody know how draining wood and stone of color would provide that since they are not "drinking" the Investiture like the Tears do? This whole thing might be entirely out of bounds, but I have been thinking enough about it to ask. Thanks!

Welcome to the Shard!

So for your question, I found the answer here (note that the site contains spoilers if you haven't read other things by Brandon Sanderson)

So, what I got from that was that the richer color (from the tears of Edgli) help with the Awakening process, and make the awakened thing stronger, but it doesn't have to be color from the flower. 

on another note:

What is your favorite magic system, and why?

What other Cosmere books have you read?

Edited by GoWibble

Welcome to the Shard!

As mentioned, the Tears of Edgli are not required for Awakening but the vibrant (and lasting) colors produced by dyes made from the flowers are extremely potent fuel for the magic, which is why they're so valuable. But any color will do and we see people leeching it from things that have definitely not been dyed like that. Brandon even notes in several of the Warbreaker annotations that what the Idrians believe about Awakening and color is wrong and the browns, tans and especially the blacks that they wear are perfectly good sources of color as far as the magic is concerned. We also know for a fact that color can be leeched from stone because it happens at the end of the book, which also illustrates that black makes a very good color for Awakening.

1 hour ago, nobodyinparticular said:

Hi Folks!

Not sure if this is necessary, but spoilers possibly.......

I was just wondering if anyone knows/asked B.S. about how color could be drained from wood and stone for Awakening? I go under the assumption that the colors people have come from the Tears of Edgli which "drink" the investiture from the Perpendicularity that then provides the necessary addition to Investiture when performing Awakenings. Now that might be ENTIRELY wrong. But if that assumption is at all accurate, does anybody know how draining wood and stone of color would provide that since they are not "drinking" the Investiture like the Tears do? This whole thing might be entirely out of bounds, but I have been thinking enough about it to ask. Thanks!

Welcome to the Shard!

Yes, it's possible to drain color from sticks and stones. It actually happens in Warbreaker! The color drain appears to be a chemical change, where the Awakening draws energy from breaking the chemical bonds, perhaps? There's still a lot we don't know.

She eyed her clothes, which were now completely grey. Out of curiosity, she tried Awakening the rope again. Nothing happened. She picked up a stick, then Awakened the rope. It worked this time, the stick losing its color, though it took a lotmore breath. Perhaps this was because the stick wasn’t very colorful. The tree trunk didn’t work for color, though. Presumably, one couldn’t draw color from something that was itself alive.

Although it was dark, Vasher’s life sense was strong. He could just faintly feel the grass growing below and knew how far away it was. With more Breath, he might even have been able to sense the lichen growing on the palace stones. He knelt down, laying one hand on his trouser leg and one on the stone of the palace.

“Strengthen me,” he Commanded, Breathing. His trouser legs stiffened, and a patch of color bled from the black stone beside him. Black was a color. He’d never considered that before he’d become an Awakener. Tassels hanging at his cuffs stiffened, wrapping around his ankle. With him kneeling as he was, they could also twist around the bottoms of his feet.