Aluminum

On 3/2/2020 at 4:45 PM, DiePie said:

Hoid 2020

A true man of the people, willing to do whatever it takes to do what needs to be done. Associated with the radiants and with an incredible history in politics, he would be the best president for our beautiful nation... Much better than Kaladin, a man who's in league with the voidbringers. He reportedly spent weeks with one of their many bands "learning their culture" *scoffs*, how do we know he isn't secretly being paid off by the enemy? I tell you, he is trying to divide us and sell us to the enemy! I tell you!

Vote Hoid, and you won't be disappointed!

Mr Hoid, what are your thoughts on the bombshell recording that was recently made public? Your opponents claim that it proves you don't have our nation's best interests at heart, do you have any answer for that?
[plays recording]

"You must not trust yourself with me. If I have to watch this world crumble and burn to get what I need, I will do so. With tears, yes, but I would let it happen."

Vote Passion today! 

He knows what it's like being imprisoned. He knows the pain of being misunderstood. He knows how to follow the spirit of the law, and not just the letter. With the Everstorm, Passion brought storm-equality to ALL. With the Everstorm, Passion helped end the rampant slavery of Rosharans. Passion knows that Hoid is not to be trusted, so don't vote for him! Those pesky rules that have been made? Consider them already Unmade!

Give him your pain, and he'll give you all the passion. 

Vote Passion 2020!

Edited by Use the Falchion

1 hour ago, Zennix said:

Vote Brandon Stark... (huh? Sorry, wrong universe). 

I am still confused as to why anyone supported him or why Greyworm did not just immediately kill Tyrion and Jon.   

On 3/5/2020 at 10:04 AM, WhiteEmporer said:

Mr Hoid, what are your thoughts on the bombshell recording that was recently made public? Your opponents claim that it proves you don't have our nation's best interests at heart, do you have any answer for that?
[plays recording]

At least he is willing to cry. You have to give him that name another politician who would shed a tear. 

1 minute ago, Booknerd said:

At least he is willing to cry. You have to give him that name another politician who would shed a tear. 

*Cough* Kaladin *cough*

Play recording:

Kaladin screamed, tears steaming from his eyes. He begged them to stop, to listen.

Just now, Nameless said:

*Cough* Kaladin *cough*

Play recording:

Hardly a politician. He's an emotionally unstable former surgeons assistant. Kaladin can't make the hard choices. And besides I would rather Kaladin kept his good name than get slathered by the media for his rocky history with former Secretary of defense Meridas Amaram. Many call his accusation a cry for attention and Dalinar giving him a Promotion has lead to further divide this country, best to play it safe for now.  

4 minutes ago, Booknerd said:

Hardly a politician. He's an emotionally unstable former surgeons assistant. Kaladin can't make the hard choices. And besides I would rather Kaladin kept his good name than get slathered by the media for his rocky history with former Secretary of defense Meridas Amaram. Many call his accusation a cry for attention and Dalinar giving him a Promotion has lead to further divide this country, best to play it safe for now.  

He may have some trouble with the press, but the common darkeyes see him for who he is. A Hero. A savior. A Legend. A Leader. A Protector. A man whom you can trust to lead honestly.

2 minutes ago, Nameless said:

He may have some trouble with the press, but the common darkeyes see him for who he is. A Hero. A savior. A Legend. A Leader. A Protector. A man whom you can trust to lead honestly.

But he has a serious problem with foresight, something Hoid is not just an expert in but exceptional at. Hoid also doesn't have to worry about any form of harm to himself, allowing him to go places more easily and lighten the cost of protecting the president from the budget.

2 hours ago, Booknerd said:

But he has a serious problem with foresight, something Hoid is not just an expert in but exceptional at. Hoid also doesn't have to worry about any form of harm to himself, allowing him to go places more easily and lighten the cost of protecting the president from the budget.

But Kaladin has been a professional bodyguard to not only a Highprince, but also the King of Alethkar. He understands their struggle.  As for Hoid's foresight, the common people know that Hoid can't physically harm anyone. That means he can't support wars, or even fight back against attempted kidnappers. He would be kidnapped within a week of taking office. Hoid also likes to go gallivanting off at a moments notice, while Kaladin stayed not only with a doomed bridge crew, but also several of groups of slaves, even when offered an easy escape. Hoid also likes to be behind the scenes. He's a perfect candidate for VP though, he can run with Kaladin.

Edited by Nameless

11 minutes ago, Nameless said:

But Kaladin has been a professional bodyguard to not only a Highprince, but also the King of Alethkar. He understands their struggle.  As for Hoid's foresight, the common people know that Hoid can't physically harm anyone. That means he can't support wars, or even fight back against attempted kidnappers. He would be kidnapped within a week of taking office. Hoid also likes to go gallivanting off at a moments notice, while Kaladin stayed not only with a doomed bridge crew, but also several of groups of slaves, even when offered an easy escape. Hoid also likes to be behind the scenes. He's a perfect candidate for VP though, he can run with Kaladin.

Hoid captured. right.

Just now, Nameless said:

I believe Hoid specializes in insulting powerful world leaders, correct?

And yet he can talk them into position where they have to disengage or lose face. This is Hoid we're talking about he will not just insult you to the point of no return he will do it in such a way that you can't fight back no matter what you might think of.

1 minute ago, Booknerd said:

And yet he can talk them into position where they have to disengage or lose face. This is Hoid we're talking about he will not just insult you to the point of no return he will do it in such a way that you can't fight back no matter what you might think of.

What about his mysterious ties to the infamous murder of Adonalsium? the fact that he uses the weapon used to kill Adonalsium as an immortality device? Hoid is untrustworthy, being hunted by at least one multi-world organization, is scared of a sword whose guiding command is "destroy evil" and has even admitted that he would let an entire world burn to get what he wants. Kaladin on the other hand lives by one goal: protection. He has fought against oppression, slain murderers, and rescued slaves. He will not be cowed by the corrupt world leaders, and will fight for what is right to his last breath.

12 minutes ago, Nameless said:

What about his mysterious ties to the infamous murder of Adonalsium? the fact that he uses the weapon used to kill Adonalsium as an immortality device? Hoid is untrustworthy, being hunted by at least one multi-world organization, is scared of a sword whose guiding command is "destroy evil" and has even admitted that he would let an entire world burn to get what he wants. Kaladin on the other hand lives by one goal: protection. He has fought against oppression, slain murderers, and rescued slaves. He will not be cowed by the corrupt world leaders, and will fight for what is right to his last breath.

So my one thing is I tend to see people say Kaladin is the champion of the common man. Does he protect? Certainly. But Kaladin is far (in my opinion) from a force for societal change. He does whatever he can to protect in the moment. The order of knights that seem more concerned with the "common man" are the edgedancers. Remembering those that are forgetten. Listening to those who are ignored. The entire order was focused on helping the civilians displaced by the abandonment of Urithiru rather than leaving a message about themselves for posterity. Again, just want to stress, not saying Kaladin is a bad person, nor that he does not care. He clearly cares, and wants to protect. But other than trying to help slaves escape that he is protecting, or protecting the bridgemen under his command, or protecting the soldiers under his command, I do not recall Kaladin ever actually seeking to change society for the better, or work towards bettering "the common man's" lot in life. 

Edited by Pathfinder

17 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

So my one thing is I tend to see people say Kaladin is the champion of the common man. Does he protect? Certainly. But Kaladin is far (in my opinion) from a force for societal change. He does whatever he can to protect in the moment. The order of knights that seem more concerned with the "common man" are the edgedancers. Remembering those that are forgetten. Listening to those who are ignored. The entire order was focused on helping the civilians displaced by the abandonment of Urithiru rather than leaving a message about themselves for posterity. Again, just want to stress, not saying Kaladin is a bad person, nor that he does not care. He clearly cares, and wants to protect. But other than trying to help slaves escape that he is protecting, or protecting the bridgemen under his command, or protecting the soldiers under his command, I do not recall Kaladin ever actually seeking to change society for the better, or work towards bettering "the common man's" lot in life. 

Kaladin works to close the gap between the Parsh and the Humans! He aids those who have been oppressed for so long. All Parsh not only should, but must vote for Kaladin.

36 minutes ago, Nameless said:

Kaladin works to close the gap between the Parsh and the Humans! He aids those who have been oppressed for so long. All Parsh not only should, but must vote for Kaladin.

Well he did try to stop them from killing each other via protecting both sides, but again personally I don't see him actually making a real effort to bring the two parties together. During the meeting earlier in the novel where they discuss the parshendi and the fused, he does say they are not the enemy (since he got to know the small group, and wanted to protect them), but he didn't have any practical ideas on how to bring both parties together. 

Again, please do not take this as me criticizing Kaladin. Just my experience of him has more been a battlefield commander protecting and leading during combat. For individuals that seek to help the common man, and change society in a beneficial way, I think of truthwatchers (Ym) and edgedancers (Lift). I have seen/read of them helping the common man. Kaladin seems to befriend a group, and then does all he can to lead and protect them. That comes off different to me than being a champion of the common man. But totally respect if you see things differently. 

edit: side note, keeping in the spirit of the thread, he did not exactly succeed in closing that gap considering those parsh and humans did end up killing each other.......

Edited by Pathfinder

1 hour ago, Pathfinder said:

edit: side note, keeping in the spirit of the thread, he did not exactly succeed in closing that gap considering those parsh and humans did end up killing each other.......

Everyone has a choice, and Kaladin respected their choices to kill each other. That's totally why he did nothing.

15 minutes ago, Nameless said:

Everyone has a choice, and Kaladin respected their choices to kill each other. That's totally why he did nothing.

Sooooo the response to Kaladin being unable to stop two groups he pledged to protect from killing each other is "hey it was their own choice?" Something tells me people would be hesitant to vote for the political platform of "hey if you die, it was your own choice" lol.