Favorite Mistborn Quotes

Boomerang Guy

Favorite Quotes  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Kelsier Quote?

• “Every action we take has consequences, Vin,” Kelsier said. “I’ve found that in both Allomancy and life, the person who can best judge the consequences of their actions will be the most successful.”
    • “Being an annoyance is something that I am very good at. In fact, I’m far more than just a ‘mild’ annoyance--people tell me I can be downright frustrating. Might as well use this talent for the cause of good, eh?”
    • “There’s always another secret.”
    • “I’m not really sure why. But... do you stop loving someone just because they betray you? I don’t think so. That’s what makes the betrayal hurt so much - pain, frustration, anger... and I still loved her. I still do.”

What are some of your favorite Mistborn Quotes?

Here are some of mine-

“The right belief is like a good cloak, I think. If it fits you well, it keeps you warm and safe. The wrong fit however, can suffocate.”
-Sazed
“You should try not to talk so much, friend. You’ll sound far less stupid that way.”
-Breeze Ladrian
“Being an annoyance is something that I am very good at. In fact, I’m far more than just a ‘mild’ annoyance--people tell me I can be downright frustrating. Might as well use this talent for the cause of good, eh?”
-Kelsier

He he, those last two crack me up.

“At first glance, the key and the lock it fits may seem very different," Sazed said. "Different in shape, different in function, different in design. The man who looks at them without knowledge of their true nature might think them opposites, for one is meant to open, and the other to keep closed. Yet, upon closer examination he might see that without one, the other becomes useless. The wise man then sees that both lock and key were created for the same purpose.”

-Sazed

This both very wise and some amazing foreshadowing.

Edited by Karger

“You just told me you liked me how I am.”

“I do,” Elend said.

“But I’d like you however you were, Vin. I love you. The question is, how do you like yourself?”

-

“We assumed we could do a better job than the noblemen, but once we had the power, we put them back in charge. If we’d killed the whole lot, perhaps then we could have started fresh. Of course, that would have meant invading the other dominances—which would have meant sending Vin to take care of the most important, most problematic, noblemen. There would have been a slaughter like the Final Empire had never seen. And, if we’d done that…”
If we’d done that,” Dockson said quietly, “we’d have been no better than beasts.”

-

“Atium,” Elend whispered, tasting blood. “Where is the atium, Marsh? Where do you think we got the power to fight? You came for that atium? Well it’s gone. Tell your master that! You think my men and I expected to kill all of these koloss? There are tens of thousands of them! That wasn’t the point at all.”

Elend’s smile widened. “Ruin’s body is gone, Marsh. We burned it all away, the others and I. You might be able to kill me, but you’ll never get what you came for. And that is why we win.”

On 2/26/2020 at 8:36 PM, Raphaborn said:

“I do,” Elend said.

“But I’d like you however you were, Vin. I love you. The question is, how do you like yourself?”

-

“We assumed we could do a better job than the noblemen, but once we had the power, we put them back in charge. If we’d killed the whole lot, perhaps then we could have started fresh. Of course, that would have meant invading the other dominances—which would have meant sending Vin to take care of the most important, most problematic, noblemen. There would have been a slaughter like the Final Empire had never seen. And, if we’d done that…”
If we’d done that,” Dockson said quietly, “we’d have been no better than beasts.”

-

“Atium,” Elend whispered, tasting blood. “Where is the atium, Marsh? Where do you think we got the power to fight? You came for that atium? Well it’s gone. Tell your master that! You think my men and I expected to kill all of these koloss? There are tens of thousands of them! That wasn’t the point at all.”

Elend’s smile widened. “Ruin’s body is gone, Marsh. We burned it all away, the others and I. You might be able to kill me, but you’ll never get what you came for. And that is why we win.”

YES!!! I love All of those but the last one is just.... AWESOME!!! sorry its just i am remembering how awesome the end of that book was. the whole time i was like...:o....

That last quote was just like *mike drop* EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! *deep breath* sorry i am just such a NERD!!!! (or geek depending on what you think) I just love these books A LOT.

Edited by The Hero of Masks

On 2/24/2020 at 6:41 PM, Eternal Khol said:

"Let the executions begin."

-The Lord Ruler

The title is about "Mistborn Quotes", but the poll a selection of lines from Kelsier... Hmm.

My favorite Mistborn quotes of the moment are from Era 2. I always liked Sazed as a mortal in Era 1, and the way he interacts with Wax is amazing.

The first Pathian meditation/prayer we "see", from a Wax POV doing so in Alloy of Law:

How are things up there in the mists? he thought. He was never sure how to talk to Harmony. Life's good, I assume? What with you being God, and all?

In response, he felt a sense of... amusement. He could never tell if he created those sensations himself or not.

And no specific line or phrase, but when he gives Wax that red pill/blue pill kind of choice (left hand or right hand?) in The Bands of Mourning, that really hit me (paraphrasing, "It is not duty, though that is how you have seen it; it is but a different adventure" - and, bonus, "the understanding in His face was infuriating").

Vin's rant about the way that Kelsier and his crew lived, even as they planned a "skaa uprising" against The Lord Ruler, was among the most memorable from Era 1, after Kelsier dismissed Elend from consideration as a good man because he was a nobleman: "So are you! What do you think this is, Kelsier? The life of a skaa? What do any of you know about skaa? Aristocratic suits, stalking your enemies in the night, full meals and nightcaps around the table with your friends? That's not the life of a skaa!"

It was exactly the slap in the face Kelsier needed and deserved. "You're no skaa - you're just noblemen without titles."

"...Maybe I need to spend a little less time worrying about which noblemen to kill, and a little more time worrying about which peasants to help." Words a lot of people could stand to  absorb, in a reality-adjusted context, in the real world.

Edited by robardin

5 hours ago, The Hero of Masks said:

YES!!! I love All of those but the last one is just.... AWESOME!!! sorry its just i am remembering how awesome the end of that book was. the whole time i was like...:o....

That last quote was just like *mike drop* EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! *deep breath* sorry i am just such a NERD!!!! (or geek depending on what you thingk) I just love these books A LOT.

After that scene I couldn't even cry, Elend simply had one of the greatest "Moment of Awesome" in fiction.

11 hours ago, Raphaborn said:

Elend simply had one of the greatest "Moment of Awesome" in fiction

I was sitting there with my mouth, just dumbstruck.

The only other moment like that in Mistborn was is BoM when I read Survive again. My friend was sitting right next to me and he just started laughing when he saw my face read Survive.

1 hour ago, The Deity said:

I was sitting there with my mouth, just dumbstruck.

The only other moment like that in Mistborn was is BoM when I read Survive again. My friend was sitting right next to me and he just started laughing when he saw my face read Survive.

Somehow I had the feeling that was coming, and wasn't so much shocked/surprised as nodding my head like, "oh yeah, of course, awesome!". Maybe because I read Mistborn: Secret History literally the day before I read Bands of Mourning, since the two books were released on the same day and I felt like reading them in in-world chronological order.

The first time I read Era 1, though... When Vin's body fell out from the mists and an disbelieving Sazed ran up to check, I still had no idea what was going to happen.

By the Forgotten Gods!

All the religions of the world that Sazed had so carefully and thoroughly preserved, to the best of his ability, then reviewed and rejected, one by one... They weren't all true. But they all had truth. Classical Scadrial geographical and star charts, anatomical and biological and color spectra, all encoded therein.

Never. Saw. That. Coming. I stopped reading for a few moments, then went back to re-read it immediately, kind of like when I was 8 years old and read Charlotte's Web for the first time and had to read it a second time to really believe it. (Except this time I wasn't crying, at least not for sadness.)

On the other hand, since his copperminds held verbally recited texts he learned via oral transmission from another, senior Keeper to store into his own copperminds while young, I'm never quite sure how that would give him the mental images necessary to project charts, or to see colors that no longer existed in nature. Maybe that part partly came from beginning to Ascend, as he could see "what had been done with the Power" by Rashek in modifying stuff.

Edited by robardin

1 hour ago, robardin said:

Somehow I had the feeling that was coming, and wasn't so much shocked/surprised as nodding my head like, "oh yeah, of course, awesome!". Maybe because I read Mistborn: Secret History literally the day before I read Bands of Mourning, since the two books were released on the same day and I felt like reading them in in-world chronological order.

The first time I read Era 1, though... When Vin's body fell out from the mists and an disbelieving Sazed ran up to check, I still had no idea what was going to happen.

By the Forgotten Gods!

All the religions of the world that Sazed had so carefully and thoroughly preserved, to the best of his ability, then reviewed and rejected, one by one... They weren't all true. But they all had truth. Classical Scadrial geographical and star charts, anatomical and biological and color spectra, all encoded therein.

Never. Saw. That. Coming. I stopped reading for a few moments, then went back to re-read it immediately, kind of like when I was 8 years old and read Charlotte's Web for the first time and had to read it a second time to really believe it. (Except this time I wasn't crying, at least not for sadness.)

On the other hand, since his copperminds held verbally recited texts he learned via oral transmission from another, senior Keeper to store into his own copperminds while young, I'm never quite sure how that would give him the mental images necessary to project charts, or to see colors that no longer existed in nature. Maybe that part partly came from beginning to Ascend, as he could see "what had been done with the Power" by Rashek in modifying stuff.

Sazed's Ascension really made me cry. Thinking about this Order that dedicated its life to seeking knowledge, understanding the world and respecting the traditions and beliefs of people in the past, was really beautiful. Although I am not religious, it touched me because it made me think about how people have always tried to see the truth of the universe and how it was shaped by their Gods. I think it was one of the biggest demonstrations of the beneficial side of religion that I have ever been able to read anywhere.
It is also a testament to the love of knowledge, and how to learn is never useless or irrelevant. Heroes, powers, secret organizations, hidden creatures and gods may have played a big role, but what saved Scadrial in the end was human dedication.

"The Hero will bear the future of the world on his arms."

On 2/26/2020 at 7:36 PM, Raphaborn said:

“I do,” Elend said.

-

-

It's been a while, but I still get chills reading that last one.

• 3 years later...