Renarin Oaths

SanderFan69

In Oathbringer, the scene where Renarin tells Adolin how he figured out how to summon Glys as a shardblade was pretty much just him gong to Glys and asking him to become a shardblade. This did not really seem like how the rest of the radiants progressed. So, I was wondering, does being bonded to a corrupted spren mean that you do not have to say oaths to progress?

Short answer, I believe we have no clue.

Semi longish answer, Renarin could theoretically have sworn the first oath in Way of Kings. You do not have to speak the oaths out loud, just believe/think them to yourself. Renarin could have then said the second at the beginning of Words of Radiance, and said the third at the end of Words of Radiance, and still be able to summon a shardblade at the beginning of Oathbringer. But got nothing to back that up. Just like there is nothing saying that because his spren is corrupted, he could or could not go about advancing in a completely different way. 

Edited by Pathfinder

8 minutes ago, KandraAllomancer said:

We know that the Voidish part of Glys works in a kind of reversed way (he offers his pain to Renarin, not the other way around), so it is entirely possible that there will be something weird about the Oaths here

I always took that as just a quirk of how Glys talks. To me it was his way of saying he was sorry for Renarin. 

6 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

I always took that as just a quirk of how Glys talks. To me it was his way of saying he was sorry for Renarin. 

Hmm, maybe. It still strikes me as something rather weird to say, especially given the circumstances. Anyway, bonding Glys didn't require Renarin to give his pain to Odium (as far as I can tell), so the Initiation process is different in this case and it's quite reasonable to assume that the Oaths might be affected somehow

I interpreted it as a fancy way of saying that he will be sad.  Remember Glys does not seem to experience or understand time linearly or to really inhabit the present at all.  I am faily sure Renarin swears oaths though.  I actually think that Adolin talking to him at the time was conformation to him that the third ideal was morally right.

Edited by Karger

17 hours ago, SanderFan69 said:

In Oathbringer, the scene where Renarin tells Adolin how he figured out how to summon Glys as a shardblade was pretty much just him gong to Glys and asking him to become a shardblade. This did not really seem like how the rest of the radiants progressed. So, I was wondering, does being bonded to a corrupted spren mean that you do not have to say oaths to progress?

Occam's Razor answer is that he'd already sworn the Ideal but simply didnt himself realize that the 3rd was the Gate to a Blade, so it just didnt occur to him to ask until a real need arose. 

16 hours ago, KandraAllomancer said:

Hmm, maybe. It still strikes me as something rather weird to say, especially given the circumstances. Anyway, bonding Glys didn't require Renarin to give his pain to Odium (as far as I can tell), so the Initiation process is different in this case and it's quite reasonable to assume that the Oaths might be affected somehow

So first to clarify, I am not saying it is unreasonable to think Renarin's oaths were affected. Basically there is so little we know, I believe it could be any of the three. Either Renarin could swear oaths normally but his wording is different, or Renarin swears oaths but in a different manner, or Renarin doesn't swear oaths at all. I did not intend for you to think I was disagreeing with you on that matter. Totally agree it is reasonable.

What I was more commenting on, was in my opinion, the giving of pain was more of a quirk of Glys's speech than actual function. Totally respect your theory, and I wish you luck with it, just for myself I don't think it is the case. 

"She will hurt us! She will hurt us!"

"He will not be resisted" Glys said "My sorrow, Renarin. I will give you my sorrow"

"It will be....great....vast.....wonderful!" Glys said from within Renarin's heart "It will be beautiful, Renarin! Look!

"It will fear you!" Glys said from within Renarin "It will go. Make it so that it will go"

"Light. You will make it go with light"

"It will go!" Glys promised, excitable as ever.

"Ah.... what will come now?" Glys said, voice thrumming through Renarin "What emerges?"

So I take that all together as just the way Glys talks. Though what I do find very interesting is Glys seems to have a degree of foresight on all the time. In every instance Glys knows what is about to come. He was wrong twice, with Jasnah and Dalinar, but it seems he continually comments on things just prior to them actually occurring.

13 hours ago, Karger said:

I interpreted it as a fancy way of saying that he will be bad.  Remember Glys does not seem to experience or understand time linearly or to really inhabit the present at all.  I am faily sure Renarin swears oaths though.  I actually think that Adolin talking to him at the time was conformation to him that the third ideal was morally right.

Good catch regarding Glys not experiencing time the same as others. Lining up all the quotes he says really makes this apparent. 

Edited by Pathfinder

• Chaos locked this topic