Atium’s alloys

Koloss17

So we know that there can be at least 16 alloys of atium, maybe 18 if you include god metals, that we know of so far. We know the allomantic use of gold+Atium is, but I wonder: is there a patter to the alloying? Because malatium is basically gold, but on someone else, which makes me think there would be a correlation of allomantic abilities.

if there is a pattern, I see two possibilities:

1) atium alloys give the allomantic ability of the alloyed metal, but targeting someone other than yourself. This would explain the gold ability but on someone else that malatium has. This would make chromium and aluminum be able to be long range, and copper be able to give mental allomancy protection to others more easily.

2) it gives an allomantic ability that merges the two metals. This would also explain the gold, but on someone else, because it would give the person the ability to see a shadow of another peson, but see their past and potential self instead. This would allow you to possibly be able to see someone about to burn a metal with a bronze alloy. 

I don’t know if this is the case, but I love exploring the theoretical, so it’s worth a shot!

4 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

So we know that there can be at least 16 alloys of atium, maybe 18 if you include god metals, that we know of so far. We know the allomantic use of gold+Atium is, but I wonder: is there a patter to the alloying? Because malatium is basically gold, but on someone else, which makes me think there would be a correlation of allomantic abilities.

Atium alloys always give mental and temporal abilities.

Tor.com Q&A with Brandon Sanderson (Jan. 10, 2011)
#9 Share Copy

Maru Nui

What would an atium-electrum alloy do in Allomancy?

Brandon Sanderson

The alloys of atium have various temporal effects.

Footnote: The Allomancy chart poster reveals that atium alloys have various temporal and mental effects.

Edited by Karger

The only one I can think of is maybe an electrum alloy that allows you to see a future version of yourself similar to how gold lets you see a past version of yourself. It's also possible that Bleeder was using an alloy of Atium to communicate with Wax while he had his Hemalurgic spike in similar to how Ruin would talk to people in Era 1. That could also be related to the new metal her spikes were made of or something completely unrelated that she learned in TLR's service, so I'm less sure of that one. 

One of my favorite theoretical alloy effects is using Atium+Brass to Soothe all of your own emotions, like Guilt or Regret, and basically become a sociopath/psychopath who is also heavily dependent on that alloy to avoid having "withdrawal" symptoms (i.e. the resurgence of guilt and regret from doing whatever they do that required them to use Brass+Atium in the first place). Effectively a weird hybrid of a drug addict and a psychopath. Would be a TREMENDOUSLY fascinating character to read about if Brandon ever wrote it out.

What I'm more curious about is what other Human Attributes you could steal with god metal alloys in Hemalurgy. More abstract stuff, like compassion or willpower, for example.

On 25/01/2020 at 3:13 AM, Halyo_Alex said:

One of my favorite theoretical alloy effects is using Atium+Brass to Soothe all of your own emotions, like Guilt or Regret, and basically become a sociopath/psychopath who is also heavily dependent on that alloy to avoid having "withdrawal" symptoms (i.e. the resurgence of guilt and regret from doing whatever they do that required them to use Brass+Atium in the first place). Effectively a weird hybrid of a drug addict and a psychopath. Would be a TREMENDOUSLY fascinating character to read about if Brandon ever wrote it out.

What I'm more curious about is what other Human Attributes you could steal with god metal alloys in Hemalurgy. More abstract stuff, like compassion or willpower, for example.

I don't think it could work like that, because all alloys also have temporal effects.
I honestly have a hard time trying to guess 14 more Temporal And Mental abilities for the other alloys.

Edited by Raphaborn

2 hours ago, Raphaborn said:

I don't think it could work like that, because all alloys also have temporal effects.

Are you sure they're both mental and temporal? I don't think Malatium also does mental stuff, if showing a past version of someone is considered "temporal" like normal gold.

I could be forgetting something, sure, but cmon, you KNOW it would be fascinating to have Brass Malatium do that and have a misting of that metal, or something.

5 hours ago, Halyo_Alex said:

Are you sure they're both mental and temporal? I don't think Malatium also does mental stuff, if showing a past version of someone is considered "temporal" like normal gold.

I could be forgetting something, sure, but cmon, you KNOW it would be fascinating to have Brass Malatium do that and have a misting of that metal, or something.

Well, we don't have enough information about gold and malatium to know the difference between the use of the two, and what the mental component of the latter would be. But Word of Sanderson and the allomantic table establish that all alloys have Mental and Temporal components.

2 hours ago, Raphaborn said:

Well, we don't have enough information about gold and malatium to know the difference between the use of the two, and what the mental component of the latter would be. But Word of Sanderson and the allomantic table establish that all alloys have Mental and Temporal components.

I always took it to mean that there aren't Physical/Enhancement quadrants on the Atium Alloy chart, and things like Iron or Chromium would do mental or temporal things instead.

10 hours ago, Raphaborn said:

I honestly have a hard time trying to guess 14 more Temporal And Mental abilities for the other alloys.

Don't double post.  Also What about ones that show the past for objects?  What about ones that show other people in your own past.  You can do this all day.

23 minutes ago, Karger said:

Don't double post.  Also What about ones that show the past for objects?  What about ones that show other people in your own past.  You can do this all day.

It makes me wonder how strange it is for Malatium not to affect objects, whereas Atium does. It probably has something to do with the fact that it is just an Alloy, and not exactly the opposite pair of Atium (since it has 15 other combinations).