Not all Shards were human

Renarin Kholin

Sorry if someone has suggested this theory before. In Arcanum Unbounded: The Cosmere Collection, in "The Scadrian System," it says,

Yes, the Shards undoubtedly used humans from Yolen as a model (indeed, both of the Vessels for these Shards were human before their Ascensions) in creating life.

That seems to imply that not all Vessels for the Shards were human; otherwise it would be unnecessary for Khriss to state this. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this, but Yolen is where Dragonsteel takes place, so I think that it is likely that the Vessels of some of the Shards may have been dragons, not humans.

I really like the idea that some of the Shards were dragons, but what do you think? Is this theory plausible?

8 minutes ago, Renarin Kholin said:

Sorry if someone has suggested this theory before. In Arcanum Unbounded: The Cosmere Collection, in "The Scadrian System," it says,

That seems to imply that not all Vessels for the Shards were human; otherwise it would be unnecessary for Khriss to state this. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this, but Yolen is where Dragonsteel takes place, so I think that it is likely that the Vessels of some of the Shards may have been dragons, not humans.

I really like the idea that some of the Shards were dragons, but what do you think? Is this theory plausible?

It has been speculated that Endowment is a dragon.

They were not.  As far as we know all of the shards were of the 3 species of Yolen.  Human, Dragon or Sho Del.

Just now, Nathrangking said:

Yeah and that Ambition was Sho Del.

Edited by Ookla the Prolific

On 12/31/2019 at 0:18 AM, Nathrangking said:

For those who might be confused why some speculate that Endowment's Vessel Edgli is a dragon. There's a line in Warbreaker, where Dedelin refers to the Hallandren capital, T'Telir as a Dragon's Nest.

These quotes from Brandon have further fuelled the speculation:

Russ LeBar

Is "dragon's nest" a Nalthis to English translation or are dragons part of their culture? Is Edgli a dragon?

Peter Ahlstrom

I don't know the answer to that.

Brandon Sanderson

Dragons are mythological on Nalthis, but there is a reason that the stories exist. It's not a translation quirk.

General Twitter 2016 (Aug. 12, 2016)

INTERVIEW: Mar 21st, 2014

WOR Signing Table Q&A (Verbatim)

NUTIKETAIEL

Were the original sixteen Shardholders after the shattering all human?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Uh … RAFO. There are three races on Yolen. Three sentient races.

Questioner

In the Scadrial essay, it says specifically that the Shardholders were humans. Does that imply that there can be nonhuman Shardholders?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes

Questioner

Are any of the Shards we have seen nonhuman?

Brandon Sanderson

The Shards you have seen? I will RAFO that.

Questioner

And that doesn't just count the way that Shards twist people.

Brandon Sanderson

No, no, no. There were three races on Yolen.

Questioner

And all the Shards we've seen, you're not gonna answer?

Brandon Sanderson

I'm not gonna answer, but there are three races on Yolen. There's humans, there's Sho Del, and there's dragons.

Questioner

So, kandra and koloss are considered different races?

Brandon Sanderson

They are considered different races, but they did not exist when Adonalsium was Splintered.

Arcanum Unbounded release party (Nov. 22, 2016)

Brandon talks about Dragons a lot: https://wob.coppermind.net/adv_search/?query=dragon

There have been multiple threads discussing Edgli's race:

Edited by Dreamer

• Chaos locked this topic