Ok, couldn't find a WoB on this.  Don't know if already asked, but was wondering.  If Dalinar walked into a room lined with aluminum, such as the one under the Windblade in Kholinar where the ardent was soulcasting food.  Would he be able to communicate with the Stormfather while he was in the room?

I don't think we have a WoB on this, but I assume that they would only be able to talk if both were inside the room. The way that spanreeds communicate is very similar to the Nahel bond because it works via Connection of a spren.

Edited by Ookla the Chicken

I'm actually not so sure about this one, because I mean, where is the Stormfather? At some level I feel like at least part of him is joined with Dalinar's soul, and we know aluminum doesn't block all connection period, or walking into an aluminum room would clear your accent and friendships as your spiritual connections are left behind. But at the same time, spren are mostly cognitive entities and so I imagine their communication is as well, so I can't say with certainty if Dalinar could be cut off from the Stormfather or not. And if he can, would he lose his powers? or are those too deeply a part of him? I have to say, you asked an excellent question, Wadehart.

The only relevant WoB is that the three great spren are "omnipresent" this could mean one of two things.

1. The stormfather is so great that he has an extended range with his human and as such aluminum could block it or

2. The stormfather is part of all roshar and as such aluminum could probably not block him.

We also know that Dalinar can currently sense the presence of his spren and always knows which way is east.

Well, I don't think that a perfect aluminum room has been constructed, so of course not.

Spren communication (to and from) should be blocked unless the spren got in somehow ("Come on, who just lets spren roam their aluminum lined room?")

Good luck getting a aluminum cube to stop the bondsmiths!

If being inside the room didnt prevent the realmic transitions and Investiture access and whatnot needed for Soulcasting, I dont think it would block the communication in the case of a Bondsmith.  The disclaimer is that Im basing that on the theory that the three Godspren exist in the Physical Realm more independently than normal Radiant Spren, which is why they do not require a Bond to maintain sapience but also do not manifest Blades.  If, by comparison, Syl was in blade form and got locked in an aluminum box, I dont think Kaladin would be able to talk to her.  

We have WoB that you could "steal" a Nahel Bond with Hemalurgy. And Hemalurgy only transplants part of the spiritweb. Therefore the Nahel Bond itself must also be part of the spirit web.  Aluminum blocks investiture, but it doesn't change your spiritweb, otherwise a Mistborn entering an Aluminum room or recovering from an aluminium-wound could cease being a mistborn. Furthermore, an Allomancer could still use his abilities inside the aluminium-room. The metal is just the key, and the actual investiture is locked inside the allomancer. Once you have unlocked the investiture, you can use it, and how depends on what kind of allomancer you are. That's also inside the spiritweb. Nahel bonds work almost the same, the only difference is that the investiture isn't inside the user but is taken from the environment. But the spiritweb still decides which spren and what abilities you get. Therefore, Surgebinding should still work within a room of Aluminium. Aluminium only blocks investiture, nothing else. So, I guess unless the "telepathy" itself involves an exchange of investiture of some kind, the aluminium shouldn't be able to block it. And I assume it doesn't, because Kaladin can talk to Syl even if he is out of Stormlight. And while what the spren do seems to be telepathic, IIRC, the human partners are just talking normally. For example, at one point, Dalinar curses and says "Stormfather!" If Spren could read minds, then the Stormfather would not have mistaken Dalinar's cursing for his name. So, communication isn't Stormlight or any other form of Investiture. Therefore, why should it be blocked?

(I am pretty sure that you wouldn't be able to call the blade through aluminium though, because that actually involves moving investiture).

3 hours ago, bxcnch said:

We have WoB that you could "steal" a Nahel Bond with Hemalurgy

By steeling the connection between man and spren.  If the bond was through the spiritual realm Syl would be able to move unlimited distance from Kaladin without loosing her mind.

• Chaos locked this topic