Plate and emotional allomancy

Oltux72

Question

21 answers to this question

That's an interesting question. I would personally say that it would, as the Thrill is remarkably different than your average Allomancer. I would say (from what I remember of OB) that the Thrill goes into your soul and spiritweb, just like a regular spren. But who knows? I'll look for a WoB here in a bit.

I believe it would not, though with exceptions. Emotional Allomancy affects the soul or mind, and doesn't pass through the plate in a traditional fashion. With a knight radiant wearing their own personal plate it would be different- as the plate is- as far as I am aware- tied and bound to your soul, created from the spren who is part of your soul. It might block the power in that case. We don't really know enough about plate to say. 

9 hours ago, ShadowLord_Lith said:

I believe it would not, though with exceptions. Emotional Allomancy affects the soul or mind, and doesn't pass through the plate in a traditional fashion. With a knight radiant wearing their own personal plate it would be different- as the plate is- as far as I am aware- tied and bound to your soul, created from the spren who is part of your soul. It might block the power in that case. We don't really know enough about plate to say. 

It may go further than that, in fact.  If memory serves, Kaladin and Dalinar are both resistant to the Thrill, if not completely immune ot it.  That was a plot point for Dalinar in the first book, in fact; so it seems like something about the spren bond is shielding them from its effects.  and some of the effects we see from it are a lot stronger than most of the emotional allomancy we see in Mistborn.  on the other hand, there's Shallan's flashback with Hoid, and him possibly using some kind of emotional allomancy on her...

On 10/9/2019 at 10:40 AM, ShadowLord_Lith said:

Keep in mind that if you made aluminum/ralkalest armor, it would block the effect, so maybe it does "pass through". I think that only personal plate blocking it is a good thought, we'll have to see how it turns out as more crossovers happen.

I'm going to say no, simply because Copperclouds didn't seem to affect any Soothing or Rioting, though Shardplates are different.

As we go further along the timeline of the Cosmere stories, if Shardplate made you immune to so many things, while Allomancy continues to get weaker, Roshar would have too much of an edge (assuming it survives Odium), so I believe, emotional Allomancy will find a way to slip through. Then again, that might be just another narratively interesting thing to do for Brandon (as he says "limitations are more interesting")

Edited by Honorless

1 hour ago, Honorless said:

I'm going to say no, simply because Copperclouds didn't seem to affect any Soothing or Rioting, though Shardplates are different.

huh?  Pretty sure Copperclouds explicitly block emotional allomancy, at least to the user.

25 minutes ago, Dunkum said:

huh?  Pretty sure Copperclouds explicitly block emotional allomancy, at least to the user.

It does block it for the user (we only see this with the Mistborn though, not the Mistings. More Investiture would eventually solve everything)

I think unless the interference is detected and the Surgebinder decides to form Shardplate, it cannot be blocked. And even then Lerasium Mistborn or Lerasium and Zinc or Brass alloyed Mistings, can probably push past it. Others might need a Duralumin or Nicrosil burst though.

Edited by Honorless

Relevant WoB

Questioner (paraphrased)

Also speaking of continutiy...

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Uh oh. 

Questioner (paraphrased)

This is a very very minor spoiler. It's just a statement that was made in Alloy of Law, that Smokers could...

Oh yeah, that was just a typo

Questioner (paraphrased)

Is that going to change things?

Wait, go ahead and say it.

Questioner (paraphrased)

Can Copperclouds shield others' emotions?

Oh okay. Did we put that in Alloy of Law in the Ars Arcanum? Is that wwhere you read it?

Questioner (paraphrased)

I forget. I don't remember where it is.

I believe it’s in the Ars Arcanum, which in Alloy of Law was put together by Peter. And that’s mostly a mistake, though the thing is the Role Playing Game came to me and said “Is it feasible that this could happen?” And I said “It’s perhaps feasible, but only a very rare individual could make this work if they knew exactly what they were doing.” And so I said “Yeah, go ahead, but make it a power that someone really has to know what they’re doing to make it work.” And so they put it in, and so Peter assumed that it was canon, that anyone can do it, but that’s not what I intended.

Questioner (paraphrased)

So would it be easier to say that somebody discovered they could do it and now they are training copperclouds to do it?

I would say that it is viable that someone could figure it out, but it would be a very difficult thing to train, and it is not a common Coppercloud—A common Coppercloud isn’t going to be able to be doing it, and almost no Mistborn will ever be capable of doing it, they just don’t focus on that metal enough to learn it. Of course, there aren’t Mistborn around anymore. So it is a possible power, it is plausible, but it is not the standard. Perhaps I will allow it to become the standard eventually, but it’s not right now. It would be much easier to wear a tinfoil hat. (laughter) Aluminum, aluminum. Which does work.

[\QUOTE] 

I personally don't think plate would for a couple of reasons. Emotional Allomancy still affects invested individuals and the only things we know that block it are Copperclouds and Aluminum. The argument can be made that the Investiture of a fully Invested "living" Shardplate could have an Investiture interference but that's something I doubt. We've seen emotional Allomancy clearly affect Invested individuals and Invested objects interfering with each other and powers so far has only been shown to apply in cases of physical manipulation.

On 10/20/2019 at 11:30 PM, Honorless said:

It does block it for the user (we only see this with the Mistborn though, not the Mistings. More Investiture would eventually solve everything)

I think unless the interference is detected and the Surgebinder decides to form Shardplate, it cannot be blocked. And even then Lerasium Mistborn or Lerasium and Zinc or Brass alloyed Mistings, can probably push past it. Others might need a Duralumin or Nicrosil burst though.

I would like to take the time to find the right WoB(or maybe a latter addition of BoM) but I belive that enough copperclouds can block emotional allomancy if you get a dense enough coppercloud(enough smokers in one place all flaring their metal).

On 10/20/2019 at 11:30 PM, Honorless said:

They might be able to at least resist it by sucking in stormlight.  WoBs indicate that a GodKing could shrug off TLRs soothing just by having a dense enough investiture.

3 hours ago, Karger said:

I would like to take the time to find the right WoB(or maybe a latter addition of BoM) but I belive that enough copperclouds can block emotional allomancy if you get a dense enough coppercloud(enough smokers in one place all flaring their metal).

No need, we do see Vin flare her copper against TLR's Soothing. It kinda works, except his Soothing, even passively, is too powerful

Edited by Honorless

8 hours ago, Karger said:

Not exactly what I meant.  I was thinking if you got 30 smokers togeather and had them all flare their metal while standing in a circle.  Someone in that circle would be immune to emotional alomancy.

Karger, what I gave, up there, was literally an instance from within the booksthat potentially supported your hypothesis

Edited by Honorless

34 minutes ago, Karger said:

I know and thank you however just because you are supporting my argument does not mean that I should encourage inaccuracy or inconstancy.  There is enough false or potentially false information in the world as is.  I agree that the example you provided might be relevant but we don't yet know.

If you spot an inaccuracy or inconsistency, please point it out.

While we're on that topic, if I may, your responses seem quite inconsistent themselves. What is your claim here? The hypothesis that you made further up this thread was supported by the evidence I dredged up, where is the inconsistency in my arguments when I haven't even made the claim you're pointing as being inconsistent.

And of course everything here "might be relevant but we don't know yet know". These encounters are hypothetical after all. These are all conjectures, including the responses put up by you.

But let's not clog this thread with arguments. @Oltux72 I'm really sorry for the completely unnecessary deviation. The answer is we don't know yet. But there's a high likelihood that your theory is correct and Shardplate could protect its user from emotional Allomancy.

Edited by Honorless

52 minutes ago, Karger said:

It was a point of clarity.  I was worried about making assumptions with incomplete data.  We don't actually know that the reason that Vin is immune to emotional alomancy when burning copper is that the coppercloud is denser at the source.  It does seem to be a reasonable conjecture but so did my Nightblood is a hemalurgically spiked divine breath theory.

My claim is thus.

Your evidence is thus.

My point of clarity is thus.

As we have never seen this be attempted.  I personally do not think you can conclude from Vin pushing against TRLs soothing that it is true.  You are free to disagree.  This argument is also rapidly approaching the point where one of us starts getting errorgent.

It is already mentioned by the OP that these are all conjectures, of course they are. "Errorgant", really?

I didn't conclude anything. Just provided some supporting claims to the conclusion you arrived at via your hypothetical scenario. You are selectively ignoring the things I've said.

@Karger please refrain from continuing this, this is not the thread for this. The OP asked for conjecture. So you gave it to him and I supported you there. Do not tag or quote me further on this thread. 

I apologize again @Oltux72. I won't derail your thread further. I promise that you won't see further continuation on this from my end.

Edited by Honorless

I would say Shardplate would have to be able to stop it because it can stop lashings. Maybe not the thrill, no defenately not. But if we stop and say an tin-foil hat could stop emotional Allomancy and shardplate is made of spren so...

On the point of spren, Could you do emotional Allomancy on them?? What about Seons? *GASPS* Nightblood?!?

1 hour ago, FictionSpren2019 said:

I would say Shardplate would have to be able to stop it because it can stop lashings. Maybe not the thrill, no defenately not. But if we stop and say an tin-foil hat could stop emotional Allomancy and shardplate is made of spren so...

On the point of spren, Could you do emotional Allomancy on them?? What about Seons? *GASPS* Nightblood?!?

Brandon has RAFOed whether Spen can be effected by emotional Allomancy.

AllomancerSam

Can spren be affected by emotional Allomancy?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO.

Mark Lindberg (paraphrased)

Would emotion spren react in any way if a Rioter or Soother were operating in the area?

Yes, you would be able to see that sort of change if you were paying attention.

He has said that Spren will react if a rioter or soother were burning there metal in a given area.

Edited by Dancer

1 hour ago, Honorless said:

No need, we do see Vin flare her copper against TLR's Soothing. It kinda works, except his Soothing, even passively, is too powerful

Not exactly what I meant.  I was thinking if you got 30 smokers togeather and had them all flare their metal while standing in a circle.  Someone in that circle would be immune to emotional alomancy.

8 hours ago, Honorless said:

Karger, what I gave, up there, was literally an instance from within the booksthat potentially supported your hypothesis

I know and thank you however just because you are supporting my argument does not mean that I should encourage inaccuracy or inconstancy.  There is enough false or potentially false information in the world as is.  I agree that the example you provided might be relevant but we don't yet know.

2 hours ago, Honorless said:

If you spot an inaccuracy or inconsistency, please point it out.

It was a point of clarity.  I was worried about making assumptions with incomplete data.  We don't actually know that the reason that Vin is immune to emotional alomancy when burning copper is that the coppercloud is denser at the source.  It does seem to be a reasonable conjecture but so did my Nightblood is a hemalurgically spiked divine breath theory.

2 hours ago, Honorless said:

While we're on that topic, if I may, your responses seem quite inconsistent themselves. What is your claim here?

My claim is thus.

16 hours ago, Karger said:

that enough copperclouds can block emotional allomancy if you get a dense enough coppercloud(enough smokers in one place all flaring their metal).

Your evidence is thus.

14 hours ago, Honorless said:

My point of clarity is thus.

12 hours ago, Karger said:

As we have never seen this be attempted.  I personally do not think you can conclude from Vin pushing against TRLs soothing that it is true.  You are free to disagree.  This argument is also rapidly approaching the point where one of us starts getting errorgent.

4 hours ago, Honorless said:

Errorgant", really?

It is one of my favorite WoK chapters.  It is also true.

4 hours ago, Honorless said:

I didn't conclude anything. Just provided some supporting claims to the conclusion you arrived at via your hypothetical scenario

I agree.  I just did not want someone else to misinterpret the statement and pop up some other theory using my speculation as a point of fact.