Kabsal's Jam

patdizzy

5 minutes ago, RShara said:

Jasnah thought the poison was in the jam, so she tried to Soulcast it away. Instead, she accidentally soulcast away the antidote, so eating it had no effect.

But she would've done the same thing with Shallan, right? So she would've died as well. 

Just now, patdizzy said:

But she would've done the same thing with Shallan, right? So she would've died as well. 

Yes, that's why Jasnah had to soulcast Shallan's blood multiple times, and why Shallan woke up in a hospital room. Shallan had eaten the bread (where the poison was) and hadn't eaten the antidote since it was gone. So she got poisoned and Jasnah had to fix her blood to save her.

1 minute ago, RShara said:

Yes, that's why Jasnah had to soulcast Shallan's blood multiple times, and why Shallan woke up in a hospital room. Shallan had eaten the bread (where the poison was) and hadn't eaten the antidote since it was gone. So she got poisoned and Jasnah had to fix her blood to save her.

Oh, I see. Thank you for clearing that up. That part was confusing for me. :)

Kabsal poisoned the bread knowing Shallan was fond of jam and Jasnah was not, so he was confident Shallan would be unharmed if she had the poisoned bread because she was likely to have jam, and Jasnah would refuse the jam. So that was his plan to kill Jasnah without harming Shallan. 

Jasnah soulcast the jam thinking it was the poison, but she doesn't know what strawberry tastes like, since she never has sweets, which is why Shallan thought it was spoiled and smelled off, since Jasnah had soulcast it to her guess of what poison free jam would be. But Shallan didn't want to eat any because it smelled wrong, and Kabsal was insisting on eating the jam and having Shallan eat it regardless of the taste/smell, since he thought it was still the antidote. Shallan didn't have any antidote, so Jasnah had to purity her blood directly. 

Edited by cfphelps

5 hours ago, Karger said:

Wait what?  How did I miss this detail?  Women's food is sweet. 

Sorry I may have combined jam into all sweets in my head, knowing that Jasnah upsets the expectations so much, as I do recall women's food being sweet. It does seem like she doesn't indulge in desserts/sweets from the way she refuses the jams, but I might be miss-remembering those scenes to fit my head cannon! 

Edited by cfphelps

• Chaos locked this topic