Trails of Cold Steel (and the Kiseki series in general)

Zurvanight

It certainly makes the theory that 

Spoiler

Everything is a simulation way more likely. Showing the events of the liberation mentioned at the end of CS4 on a computer and all. And Im going to bet that when I start the next chapter, the very first shot we get is going to be the shot from the trailers where Rufus beat the SSS and they're all on the ground in front of him. That would be peak

The livestream had some new footage for Kuro, with a bit of gameplay (still obviously demo stuff) and seamless transitions in towns from inside to outside and back. Since it was mainly about the partnership with CLE there was also stuff about how Kuro was going to get releases in Traditional Chinese and Korean text and some info on the Switch ports of other games.

The big 'reveals' of the livestream were confirming several expected characters, all of whom were already teased in last year's Hajimari postcard/calendar art. Cao and Kilika are returning faces, Jack and Halle are making their first proper onscreen appearance.

1 hour ago, Eluvianii said:

Rean just reminded me of David for an uncomfortable moment. "Thors is like a salty cookie and you're the salt“ Rean, no. 

If Rean is David then Jingo must be Mizzy, wanting to blow things up 'lots and lots'

Trails to Azure chapter 2:

My goodness, the music when Randy

tells his Uncle he won’t be the new War God. Just straight up glorious.

As someone playing this series through for the first time, the music in every single game has just been outstanding.

Edited by NattyBo

Just now, Briar King said:

Oh..never heard of being able to do that. Neat. And you can read Japanese or do they have subtitles?

There is a translation that you can download. You have to download the translation on your computer, use Playstation Remote Play to play the game, and use the application provided to overlay the translation onto the screen.

36 minutes ago, Briar King said:

Sure would be nice if they weren’t missing the last game then. Ugh

and boy the 2 on it are expensive for being so old

Still, those two games conform the arc. The third one is more like the gateway for future games. 

Finished Chapter 1 of Hajimari.  That was great. OP was great, and

Spoiler

C's route started out interestingly. Lloyd's part was my favorite but that's mostly due to pure hype. Rean's route was great. Seeing Kurt's father finally, and fighting him right away, was super cool. C's was a bit too short but what we got was great

CS3 ch 3 day 3 stuff

made a nice push today and I’m omw to catching up with the prologue. They went and pulled the same move as was CS1 by throwing in additional characters this time around. Kinda aggravating but whatever.

Im just happy Aurelia actually came along. This chapter started throwing some misleading hints and was starting to fear she was Lance Maiden. Phew she ain’t!

I’m at the start of Juno invasion and had to stop for the day. Screw waiting till my 4 pm session tomorrow to get back on. I’m getting on when I wake up in morning.

i really need to look into this PS4/5 suspension issue soon.

Just now, Briar King said:

CS3 ch 3 day 3 stuff

Hide contents

made a nice push today and I’m omw to catching up with the prologue. They went and pulled the same move as was CS1 by throwing in additional characters this time around. Kinda aggravating but whatever.

Im just happy Aurelia actually came along. This chapter started throwing some misleading hints and was starting to fear she was Lance Maiden. Phew she ain’t!

I’m at the start of Juno invasion and had to stop for the day. Screw waiting till my 4 pm session tomorrow to get back on. I’m getting on when I wake up in morning.

Spoiler

Nah Aurelia would never have been Arianrhod. Arianrhod and Aurelia look nothing alike and Aurelia was busy in the Civil War while Arianrhod was in Crossbell.

Chugging away in Hajimari. Made some progress in both Lloyd and C's routes. On Cs route, I am loving the characters. Swin and C are fun, but Nadia is fantastic and if anything happens to Lapis I will kill everyone and then myself, she is wonderful and adorable and I love her. Sadly got blocked off of C's route before anything interesting could happen. On Lloyd's route, 

Spoiler

Super excited for Lechter to finally be permanently playable. The characters seem to think that Cao has Ilya, but I don't think he does. I think he has Sully, and Ilya is brainwashed and is the dancer with Rufus. Speaking of Rufus, I was directed to the 3 and 9 section of the plot summaries and that added pictures that showed us Emperor. Lo and behold, Emperor is with Rufus. Now I have three theories about this. The first is that Emperor is somehow revived or else the events of 3 and 9 aren't necessarily true, a fair assumption. The second is that this isn't Emperor but is another leader from that organization. And the third and most wild is that none of the people who were with Rufus, except Ilya, are real. They're fake Dieter, Garcia, and Emperor. Maybe even Rufus himself isn't real. 

On 5/29/2021 at 7:55 PM, Briar King said:

CS3 ch 3 day 3 stuff

Reveal hidden contents

Just for the record, Arianrhod's identity has been an open secret since Trails to Azure when she first appears. ;)

18 minutes ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

Chugging away in Hajimari. Made some progress in both Lloyd and C's routes. On Cs route, I am loving the characters. Swin and C are fun, but Nadia is fantastic and if anything happens to Lapis I will kill everyone and then myself, she is wonderful and adorable and I love her. Sadly got blocked off of C's route before anything interesting could happen. On Lloyd's route, 

Reveal hidden contents

Super excited for Lechter to finally be permanently playable. The characters seem to think that Cao has Ilya, but I don't think he does. I think he has Sully, and Ilya is brainwashed and is the dancer with Rufus. Speaking of Rufus, I was directed to the 3 and 9 section of the plot summaries and that added pictures that showed us Emperor. Lo and behold, Emperor is with Rufus. Now I have three theories about this. The first is that Emperor is somehow revived or else the events of 3 and 9 aren't necessarily true, a fair assumption. The second is that this isn't Emperor but is another leader from that organization. And the third and most wild is that none of the people who were with Rufus, except Ilya, are real. They're fake Dieter, Garcia, and Emperor. Maybe even Rufus himself isn't real. 

The cast of C's route has an amazing dynamic and they all play brilliantly off each other. The fact that they do so well in their first game (Three and Nine notwithstanding) when they're up against characters with many games of appearances under their belts is a testament to how well they work. The route-switching thing has moments where you'll want to scream in frustration because you want to advance someone's plot but then it has moments of brilliance that make it all worthwhile.

And yes, 'that character' becoming a full-time ally was glorious. Especially since they got a new Craft that's pretty absurdly powerful, though one of their old ones finally got a good-bad bug fixed that makes it merely a very good skill and not a game-breaking one.

And to what you mentioned earlier about the OP, yeah, I think it worked really well and I wouldn't mind if Falcom kept doing that for future games. They've mentioned that it's become harder to do really good ones in-house and while the outsourcing worked great in Tokyo Xanadu and Ys VIII, the CS3/4 ones weren't anything special and Ys IX just dropped an OP entirely. So switching gears to something they can do in-house could be the way forward for them, guess we'll just have to wait and see. The fact that it's a good song doesn't hurt either.

<gets more popcorn ready>

Edited by Weltall

16 hours ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

Is the new absurdly powerful craft Heat Up or Spell Card?

Heat Up, which is  not only a nice STR/ATS buff but the CP restoration effect means you have a net gain of 30 (40 when it upgrades) and it's so cheap you'll almost never be unable to use it. It's almost literally a completely free buff.

Spell Card was overpowered when you drew the Spade previously but in Hajimari it doesn't work on bosses which makes it slightly less game-breaking.

Edited by Weltall