Any updates on movies for the cosmere?

Dr. Seuss

So when I found out that someone bought movie rights for a couple of Brandon Sanderson's books I was in shock. Immediately, I looked online searching for information about it. That was about a year ago, and now I've checked again and from what I saw, there hasn't been any updates on it, does anybody know what's going on there, if they abandoned it, or what? I heard they were trying to make the Stormlight Archive in to a movie, and once upon a time someone bought Mistborn rights, but never did anything with it. Any help?

This is from what I have read and should not be treated as concrete information.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Seuss said:

Stormlight Archive in to a movie,

They had a screenplay but it was 400 pages long(each page is about a minute).

Stealheart is going into development but the Fox buyout slowed everything down.  I have not herd anything about Mistborn but I believe someone is looking into Emporer's soul.

Film rights get bought all the time, but almost never make it to the big screen. Sometimes they are bought simply to prevent someone else from making a similar movie to one already in production so there will be less competition. The Cosmere rights are held by DMG who have someone working on pilots, but those are a long way off from being done (and a long shot to actually getting a green light). The closest thing to actually being completed right now is his short story Snapshot, but Dark One is showing progress; neither are cosmere.

3 minutes ago, John203 said:

Film rights get bought all the time, but almost never make it to the big screen. Sometimes they are bought simply to prevent someone else from making a similar movie to one already in production so there will be less competition. The Cosmere rights are held by DMG who have someone working on pilots, but those are a long way off from being done (and a long shot to actually getting a green light). The closest thing to actually being completed right now is his short story Snapshot, but Dark One is showing progress; neither are cosmere.

...well frick. I'm all hyped up for nothing. I was actually really excited to see one of his works become a movie. They could even change it up for all I care, I just want to see something. The more I think back on all his books, the more desperate I am to see one a movie. I mean, can't you just imagine how mistborn would look in a movie? 

7 minutes ago, Karger said:

This is from what I have read and should not be treated as concrete information.

They had a screenplay but it was 400 pages long(each page is about a minute).

Stealheart is going into development but the Fox buyout slowed everything down.  I have not herd anything about Mistborn but I believe someone is looking into Emporer's soul.

As far as Way of Kings, I heard rumors of it becoming a TV show, like Game of Thrones, but idk how true that is. Emperor's soul though? That would be an interesting movie, but the book's kinda small for a full movie, isn't it?

1 hour ago, Dr. Seuss said:

As far as Way of Kings, I heard rumors of it becoming a TV show, like Game of Thrones, but idk how true that is. Emperor's soul though? That would be an interesting movie, but the book's kinda small for a full movie, isn't it?

I believe it was an arts studio who wanted to include some more Asian actors in film.  Many fans want a Game of Thrones like TV show but I have yet to see any real proof that one is even in development.

• Chaos locked this topic