Child of Tanavast

There's like 10,000 years between the shattering and Kaladins birth, so very unlikely. More likely is him being a Windrunner, or something else like that.

Spoiler

tisces

Do you keep a timeline for your Cosmere books? I'm assuming the events from books such as Elantris and Warbreaker happen before the Stormlight Archives but I'm curious about how much time has passed whether it is months/years/centuries.

Brandon Sanderson

Centuries have passed. I think we're closer to a thousand years covering events you could place on the line, with closer to ten thousand years since inciting incidents.

/r/books AMA 2015 (April 7, 2015)

30 minutes ago, Wandering Investor said:

There's like 10,000 years between the shattering and Kaladins birth, so very unlikely. More likely is him being a Windrunner, or something else like that.

Only about 2000 but yeah.

4 minutes ago, CleverCremling said:

The shattering of was 10,000ish years ago right? Honor died roughly 2000 years ago. Was he still able to copulate as a vessel? Or would the act have to have been done pre shattering? 

I believe we have a WoB that vessels can reproduce but don't ask me to look it up..

18 minutes ago, Karger said:

Only about 2000 but yeah.

2 minutes ago, CleverCremling said:

The shattering of was 10,000ish years ago right? Honor died roughly 2000 years ago. Was he still able to copulate as a vessel? Or would the act have to have been done pre shattering? 

Adonalsium's Shattering was 10,000, Tanavast's death/Honor's splintering was 1500-2500 ish as far as I know. Shard Vessels can apparently have children (no idea how that works), but that's at minimum 1500 years worth of generations, with thousands and thousands of descendants, and at that point any bloodline would be largely irrelevant.

Vessel Children WoB

Spoiler

Paladin Brewer (paraphrased)

Are Shard Vessels able to have children?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes they are.

Paladin Brewer (paraphrased)

Even Sazed, with his body being a eunuch?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes, though technically all of Scadrial are the children of Preservation and Ruin.

Librarypalooza (Feb. 27, 2016)

Autonomy's avatars are not necessarily conventionally physical and I suspect most of them are not.  The process of a Shard forming a physical form probably doesn't have much to do with avatars.

We saw Cultivation do something like that, though it wasn't a 'human' body.

Regardless I do agree with @Wandering Investor that it wouldn't necessarily matter at this point if he was descended from Tanavast, as presumably lots of people are if he had kids that long ago. Also Tanavast and Cultivation were romantically involved so I don't think he'd have been slumming around with some girl.

Edited by CrazyRioter

• Chaos locked this topic