Casting Kaladan

There are some hints throughout the books that basically the majority of people in Alethkar (and possibly Jah Keved as well?) have an epicanthic fold on their eyes. This is why Shin eyes are described as so big-- they're basically white people eyes. There are hints that even many in Makabak share the epicanthic fold trait (since there is a remark that Ash's eyes looked Shin despite her dark skin). Shallan has skin on the lighter side for a Veden, but we don't get a description of her eyes. On Roshar, Caucasians would make up a minority.

The Herdazians and Reshi are described with features similar to Hispanic, Latin, or South American cultures.The Alethi are also very tanned-- similar in appearance possibly to Polynesians, northeast Indians, Brazilians, or possibly some vague similarities to some Himalayan cultures maybe? Brandon seems like he wanted the races to not exactly match earth, but white people are pretty rare on Roshar outside of Shinovar.

Shooting in the dark, the young man who played Aquaman as a late-years teenager might not be a terrible choice, but most likely, someone unknown would probably fit the role :).

Edited by Jellomancer

On 6/4/2019 at 4:52 PM, Kaladin's Girl said:

When I read the Way of Kings and Words of Radiance, I never pictured Kaladin as of Asian descent. I was surprised by the artwork in Oathbreaker. 

You mean Oathbringer, right? Also, what artwork are you talking about? I don't recall any images of Kaladin in OB.

Not going by races or ethnic similarities of the book to the real world, I feel that Keanu Reeves would be a pretty good actor to play Kaladin. His John Wick type long hair with that broken down but still fighting look would be perfect. I will agree that I do struggle with believing that he would be able to pull off the lighter moments with the Bridge Four but actors have surprised us with their range in the past.

4 hours ago, Kaladin-Stormblessed said:

Not going by races or ethnic similarities of the book to the real world, I feel that Keanu Reeves would be a pretty good actor to play Kaladin. His John Wick type long hair with that broken down but still fighting look would be perfect. I will agree that I do struggle with believing that he would be able to pull off the lighter moments with the Bridge Four but actors have surprised us with their range in the past.

I’m on the Keanu Reeves is awesome train, but the man is just too old to play a ~20 year old

Why not just get an Asian actor to play him? A young Ken Watanabe or similar?

There are plenty of young men in Korea, Japan, and China that can act and speak almost flawless English. Heck, there are loads of young men in the US that fit the bill.

Then the casting would make more sense

5 hours ago, Wintersu said:

I’m on the Keanu Reeves is awesome train, but the man is just too old to play a ~20 year old

Why not just get an Asian actor to play him? A young Ken Watanabe or similar?

There are plenty of young men in Korea, Japan, and China that can act and speak almost flawless English. Heck, there are loads of young men in the US that fit the bill.

Then the casting would make more sense

Thank you! Also, again, Keanu is a really nice guy, but he really doesn't have the acting ability to play Kaladin. He's good at looking stiff and expressionless, but Kaladin has a lot of nuance to him. Not to mention, as Wintersu said, he's about 20 years too old.

Godfrey Gao is my current pick, although there are a few others who would work. Or Alex Landi. Or Max Willems. Or, or, or...

45 minutes ago, RShara said:

Godfrey Gao is my current pick, although there are a few others who would work.

Too pretty.

45 minutes ago, RShara said:

Or Alex Landi. Or Max Willems. Or, or, or...

Both better choices.
Though Kaladin needs a certain air of brooding and despair. Coupled with a dose of violence.

21 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Kaladin needs a certain air of brooding and despair. Coupled with a dose of violence.

I guess he's maybe 10-15 years too old for the role now, though with some makeup or lighting effects he could probably still pass for younger... But seeing Tony Jaa do his parkour running and martial combat moves without wires or prop aids in a film like "Ong-Bak: Muay Thai Warrior" (from 2003) makes me think that he is, in fact, using Stormlight.

I like the guy who does Aladdin in the new movie. Can't remember his name and haven't actually seen the movie so no idea if he is a good actor or if he could do a depressed Kaladin but I think he looks the part in my mind

11 hours ago, AC12 said:

I like the guy who does Aladdin in the new movie. Can't remember his name and haven't actually seen the movie so no idea if he is a good actor or if he could do a depressed Kaladin but I think he looks the part in my mind

Mena Massoud. He was also in Watch Dogs 2!

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 0:03 AM, ILuvHats said:

You mean Oathbringer, right? Also, what artwork are you talking about? I don't recall any images of Kaladin in OB.

He meant that when reading the first two books he didn't picture it until he saw the artwork.

2 hours ago, Impact said:

He meant that when reading the first two books he didn't picture it until he saw the artwork.

Yeah, I get it now. When I made the post, I thought he meant an artwork OF Kaladin since he mentioned him explicitly. 

• Chaos locked this topic