Malatium Feruchemy

Halyo_Alex

This has to bother more people than just me, right? I mean, the only info I could find on this is that Sazed, as Harmony, "couldn't get very far" when trying to use it. And that really confuses me. What could it store that makes it difficult for him, as a Vessel/Shardholder (whatever the proper term is)? The only thing I can really think of, after much deliberation and a very long stretch of the imagination, would be "Mortality", such that when you store it, you become more "Mortal" (more likely to die) and when tapping it, you become less likely to die. More "immortal". And even then, that seems really unsatisfying and weird to me. It almost works, because I imagine storing Mortality as a Shard Vessel would be very weird, but it just doesn't feel right.

Can anyone bring to my attention any WoBs or other info on Malatium Feruchemy? Or any personal theories with decent evidence, even. I just gotta know...

I'm not entirely sure it works at all. Alloys of atium are strange. They're patternless, which might mean they don't do anything in Feruchemy.

BrandonColevander

How come the base 8 abilities come in pairs by base metal & alloy, but the higher ability pairs are not related?

Peter Ahlstrom

Which book are you on? Things change after the first book. They don't understand things as well as they think.

BrandonColevander

I've read all 4 several times. Ex: electrum is a gold alloy yet it is opposite of atium & malatium opposite gold...>

Peter Ahlstrom

Alloys of atium can't be thought of as establishing any pattern.

BrandonColevander

@PeterAhlstrom there are alloyS (plural) of atium?! Any chance that atium or its alloys show up again in any of the upcoming novels?

Peter Ahlstrom

RAFO :)

General Twitter 2015 (Jan. 24, 2015)

If a metal is viable in Allomancy, it should be viable in the other two metallic arts as well. 

With the question being unanswered, and atium currently unavailable (not to mention full Feruchemists) it's unlikely we'll have an answer anytime soon, if ever. 

9 hours ago, Agent34 said:

When was it said Sazed experimented with it as Harmony? From what I understood he attempted to store in it offscreen in Era 1 but didn't get very far with it.

I literally mentioned that in my first post. But thanks. :)

27 minutes ago, Halyo_Alex said:

I literally mentioned that in my first post. But thanks. :)

That doesn't answer @Agent34's question. When is it ever mentioned that Sazed uses any Feruchemy whatsoever after ascending?

When he was unable to figure it out was as a normal, mortal, Feruchemist. Not as a Shard.

We're not infallible, and we miss things often. So if what your saying is correct, can you point us to the passage you're talking about? 

32 minutes ago, Calderis said:

That doesn't answer @Agent34's question. When is it ever mentioned that Sazed uses any Feruchemy whatsoever after ascending?

When he was unable to figure it out was as a normal, mortal, Feruchemist. Not as a Shard.

We're not infallible, and we miss things often. So if what your saying is correct, can you point us to the passage you're talking about? 

All right, all right. I found it for you guys.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/100-rbooks-ama-2015/#e3489

I guess, having looked at this directly, it is open to interpretation like that. I took it to mean he literally couldn't get far in it's usage due to it's Feruchemical effects.

1 hour ago, Halyo_Alex said:

All right, all right. I found it for you guys.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/100-rbooks-ama-2015/#e3489

I guess, having looked at this directly, it is open to interpretation like that. I took it to mean he literally couldn't get far in it's usage due to it's Feruchemical effects.

Brandon never said that harmony tried to use malatium... 

He says that sazed tried it during the first trilogy, and the only time sazed had access to it was(probably) during the first book, and he " couldn't get very far" because malatium probably stores one of those weird spiritual attributes that would have taken much more time to figure than he had. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2019 at 7:04 AM, Calderis said:

If a metal is viable in Allomancy, it should be viable in the other two metallic arts as well. 

With the question being unanswered, and atium currently unavailable (not to mention full Feruchemists) it's unlikely we'll have an answer anytime soon, if ever. 

Yes, but we can make some conclusions. We can know which things Sazed had no access to or which would be untypical for him.

1. Sazed was limited to Scadrial - anything connected to systems found on other planets was impossible
  2. Sazed lived in a technologically retarded environment - anything connected with electricity, advanced chemistry or nuclear forces is unavailable
  3. Sazed was a enuch - arousal or fertility wouldn't work for him. Little to store.
  4. Sazed was unlikely to get drunk or high (after all gold stores health, so some attribute related to health would make sense)
Edited by Oltux72
extremely stupid confusion in place names

2 hours ago, Aluminum said:

You could argue the reason he doesn't get far is that he doesn't know what malatium does. Isn't intent very important in Feruchemy.

He could just try and store.  Provided you are trying to store something I don't think it matters if you know the correct attribute or not.

7 hours ago, Karger said:

He could just try and store.  Provided you are trying to store something I don't think it matters if you know the correct attribute or not.

You have to chose what memory to store in a coppermind. You have to chose which type of Investiture you want to store in a nicrosilmind. You have to chose which sense to store in a tinmind.

1 hour ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

You have to chose what memory to store in a coppermind. You have to chose which type of Investiture you want to store in a nicrosilmind. You have to chose which sense to store in a tinmind.

Or you could just try storing and feal your sight fade and your memory stop working and only figure out the fine control latter.

8 minutes ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

So you think that the first time a copper Ferring stores something they dump their entire mind?

More like the default.  Whatever they happened to be thinking about at that moment or perhaps they just stored the memory that they were creating at the time.  Also no ferrings pre Sazed ascending so they probably figured out other powers first.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2019 at 4:11 AM, Oltux72 said:

Yes, but we can make some conclusions. We can know which things Sazed had no access to or which would be untypical for him.

1. Sazed was limited to Scadrial - anything connected to systems found on other planets was impossible
  2. Sazed lived in a technologically retarded environment - anything connected with electricity, advanced chemistry or nuclear forces is unavailable
  3. Sazed was a enuch - arousal or fertility wouldn't work for him. Little to store.
  4. Sazed was unlikely to get drunk or high (after all gold stores health, so some attribute related to health would make sense)

Fertility actually makes a lot of sense as a possibility - and fertility and health are often connected.

• Chaos locked this topic