Dragons

ShadowLord_Lith

We know that dragons exist in the Cosmere, but what kind? I don't know if this was discussed already, but I'm curious. What kind of dragon would exist in the Cosmere? I mean, would they rely on spren or something similar, or do they have innate investiture? Also, why haven't they spread/been created like humans have? The template already existed, why not use it again? Additionally, why were dragons not included in the original shattering of Adonalsium? I highly doubt the dragons that we'll see will be the stereotypical fantasy dragons, so What do you think they will look like?

I'm curious, and I can't wait to hear what you guys have to say. Hopefully I haven't asked the same questions that have already been answered before elsewhere. Thanks for listening, and I hope this provides some interesting discussions. Cheers!:D

Dragons are literally the Cosmere's only "standard fantasy" race. 

Questioner #1 (in Mistborn cosplay)

I was wondering if we were ever going to see dragons in the Cosmere?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, Dragonsteel, which is one of the first books that I wrote in the Cosmere has dragons. It's also just one of the weaker books, so I can't publish it as is, but yea. Being a big fan of dragons, I did write them into the Cosmere. They are the one kind of generic- kind of the standard fantasy race in there.

Questioner #2

Are they ever going to infiltrate the other worlds kind of?

Brandon Sanderson

Well Hoid writes a letter to one, he calls him you old reptile. And that's in Words of Radiance. So that's a letter to one of the dragons. So they are referenced.

Questioner #3

I thought that was a general insult.

Brandon Sanderson

Nope, he's actually writing to Frost, an old reptile.

OdysseyCon 2016 (April 8, 2016)

So yeah. They're dragons. 

Frost is one. They still exist. They are functionally immortal. They can take human form... That's about all we know. 

There's also a possibility that one or more of the shards was a dragon at first. There were three races on Yolen, and we know at least one of the shards is non human(Ambition was a Sho Del, with a possibility of there being more.

Questioner

In the Scadrial essay, it says specifically that the Shardholders were humans. Does that imply that there can be nonhuman Shardholders?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes

Questioner

Are any of the Shards we have seen nonhuman?

Brandon Sanderson

The Shards you have seen? I will RAFO that.

Questioner

And that doesn't just count the way that Shards twist people.

Brandon Sanderson

No, no, no. There were three races on Yolen.

Questioner

And all the Shards we've seen, you're not gonna answer?

Brandon Sanderson

I'm not gonna answer, but there are three races on Yolen. There's humans, there's Sho Del, and there's dragons.

Questioner

So, kandra and koloss are considered different races?

Brandon Sanderson

They are considered different races, but they did not exist when Adonalsium was Splintered.

Arcanum Unbounded release party (Nov. 22, 2016)

Also, as Calderis pointed out, Dragons can take a human form, so we could have seen a whole bunch by now and not realized it. That, or they're on just chilling on Yolen.

Are Larkins possibly a mixed or artificial species? Because they are basically crab dragons with unique Stormlight (and I guess Investiture in general) absorbing powers. Or are they just a creature unique to Roshar that just happens to look a lot like a dragon? Maybe Honor (or Cultivation because feeding off Investiture sounds more like a power she would make use of) made them look like dragons on purpose since his vessel was originally from Yolen? Or it's possible they existed before the Shards got to Roshar.

Edited by Zurvanite

35 minutes ago, Zurvanite said:

Are Larkins possibly a mixed or artificial species? Because they are basically crab dragons with unique Stormlight (and I guess Investiture in general) absorbing powers. Or are they just a creature unique to Roshar that just happens to look a lot like a dragon? Maybe Honor (or Cultivation because feeding off Investiture sounds more like a power she would make use of) made them look like dragons on purpose since his vessel was originally from Yolen? Or it's possible they existed before the Shards got to Roshar.

There's actually an active thread in the Stormlight forum discussing this:

• Chaos locked this topic