Cosmere mysteries, places, events, persons that you are obsessed with?

Elegy

As Brandon put it, „the Cosmere has always been full of secrets“. But are there any specific secrets, any places, events, persons, etc. that your thoughts keep returning to? Things you seem to have a soft spot for or that fascinate you for some reason or another? I’ll give an example of 3 things in the Cosmere that I continue to obsessively ponder about:

- The Threnody System: It’s one of, if not the most mysterious planetary system we know of, given the presence of the „Evil“, the Cognitive Shadows and one of the most Cosmere-centric events we know of, the battle between Odium and Ambition. I also just love Threnody‘s atmosphere and the concept of planets in a system (which is a place of tragic events) to be named after different types of dirges.

- Bavadin: The idea of a Shard claiming planets and spinning a web of them fascinates me. She seems to be the most influential Shard in the Cosmere that we know of at this point (influencing several worlds, with Odium trapped and Harmony apparently not active outside of Scadrial), and we still don’t quite know what she is up to … or rather, what they are up to … the letter in Oathbringer sure helped fuel my obsession with all things regarding this character.

- The False Desolation and all things Ba Ado Mishram: Theoretically, the Last Desolation was a much more important event in the history of Roshar. But there are so many mysteries surrounding the False Desolation, just how Ba Ado Mishram lead the singers into war, seemingly without the aid of Odium, the Radiants (the last of them for 2000 years, that is) trapping Unmade into gemstones for the first time … and also a lot of important things surrounding it, like the Recreance, the Radiants leaving Urithiru, the disappearing of the Sibling ... Considering the setup in Oathbringer’s epigraphs, I reckon the False Desolation will become an important topic in the next book. I sure hope so!

As a side-note, I still have a fascination for the War of Ash. There’s nothing mysterious about it anymore – since the release of Secret History, there aren’t any more things left to reveal about it, really –, but I’ll always have a fondness for this and I will keep returning to it because 1) the Mistborn trilogy was my first contact with the Cosmere and pulled me right in, so there’s a lot of nostalgia attached to the events, the characters and the way things unfolded, and 2) it was the first major event in the Cosmere that we got to witness „on-screen“, the first contact with Shards and the first conflict between two of them. Hero of Ages was such an important book for the development of the Cosmere as a franchise.

So what are your Cosmere obsessions?

1 hour ago, Truthless of Shinovar said:

Hmm... probably Sel, just because there's so much that we still don't know

Sel is so weird. There's all this mind-boggling stuff hinted at in Khriss' essay like sentient landscapes? But the Cosmere wasn't as fleshed out when Elantris was written and Emperor's Soul mostly takes place in one room. The eventual Elantris sequels will have a lot of additional world-building to do.

Edit:

HOID

Aren't we all?

Edited by Elegy

The Moons of Roshar: I keep getting a sneaking suspicion that they are FAR more important to the story then they appear.  They may be giant Stormlight batteries that feed the storm-light cycle of the Highstorms (Lunar Tides all that jazz), or I think they may have something to do with Honor's perpendicularity moving!

Dustbringer Spren:  I keep getting a sneaking suspicion that they may have a number of dissenters among them and may side with Odium's forces (Or at least a significant faction of them will and they may bring some of the other dissenting spren from different orders with them.)

The Fate of Ambition: We don't know a lot about what happened to Ambition after her 'grievous' wound in the Threnody system.  But Brandon has said what happened with Ambition has had ramifications across many places in the cosmere(WOB link).  I think once we find out what he means by this we will see it has touched upon many of the stories we have heard so far, especially the conflict in the Roshar system as I believe that the line "We Killed You!" from Odium may be referring to Ambition.

Here's one cosmere question that keeps me up at night. Can the entire structure of the cosmere be described mathematically (that is the PR, CR, and SR physical structure). If that is possible, and I imagine it is though I'm not nearly good enough at math to do so, is it possible that the cosmere exists as a computer simulation running on a computer capable of ancestry simulations. And if that is the case, is it possible for anyone within the simulation to break the rules of the system, not cheat them but outright break them. If all that is true and possible, can someone figure out how to bring back Ati and freaking explain Vax for a bit. 

The Shard behind the avatar on Obrodai, or Obrodai in general. Its hinted to be a water planet and if it is, I'd love to see the type of Investiture there.

The Dawnshards, and what really happened to Aimia. 

Is Kelsier alive?

Gonna have to agree with the others: HOID

The Shattering of course, and the weapon used to do it.

The nature of Adonalsium, The truth behind the creation of Nightblood (because seriously it is so epic and we know so little), Hoid (see previous parentheses),Truth of the diagram, Secrets of the royal locks, Ghostblood's true design.

Edited by Nathrangking

Scouring of Aimia, The Shattering, Dragons, What are the other Shards,

How did Odium get trapped and what exactly does he need to do to free himself? Killing Honor didn't do it, but a holder of Honor's remnants could just let him go, would killing Cultivation free him, the Shards powerr would still exist and there would be no vessel of either Shard to free him. Does he need to destroy all life on Roshar to free up his investiture? Literally do what was shown to Dalinar in the vision where the surface is wiped out.

I think at this point there are so many secrets it's almost easier to ask what you're not obsessed with. XD

Some of mine have been mentioned by other folks (Aimia, the Shattering, the nature of Odium's Intent, unknown Shards)

I'll throw in:  Historical truths tied in with Wit's stories.  Fiction?  Based on actual events?  Actual events that people assume as fiction?   Did Hoid participate in the events or the creation of the stories?

Silverlight is going to be so rad, spren cultures and civilizations seem fascinating, the Ire, Trell, Roshar's moons make me nervous, Endowment's long term plan should be interesting to uncover, and the fallout of the events around Ambition seem super important for everything. 

More than anything I guess I just want more stuff to happen on-page in Shadesmar, and I want it to get weird(er). 

Edited by pizzastrology