I may have a problem

Shayolen

Hi,

Just to start off I want to say that I am an avid reader..gluttonous even. While my title may lead you to believe I have read all of Brandon's books I will admit, a little shamefully, that I have not. That being said, I have read a lot of his works and I could never name a favorite author when asked until I read "The Way of Kings." I pretty much fell head over heels in love with his writing from then on. 

I actually had not even heard of Brandon, again to my own shame, until he took on the final books of Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series. I had been reading Jordan's books and waiting for them to finish when he sadly passed away. One of the worst things a reader can ever go through is not having a story finished or it being finished poorly - not to diminish the loss of a great writer like Jordan which saddened my heart - so I was immediately skeptical when I heard that Brandon Sanderson was going to finish his books but also hopeful that he could do it well and finally draw the series to a good close. He far exceeded my expectations in "The Gathering Storm" and "Towers of Midnight", and so belatedly I decided to read his most recently published book at that time "The Way of Kings." 

I was instantly awed by Brandon's unique and original content. His worlds were fascinating, characters engrossing, and his use and approach to magic utterly unique. I knew I had stumbled upon a writer with a lot of depth which can be hard to come by in the overpopulated world of fantasy writers. As I began his "Mistborn" series he became the writer to which I began comparing all others to. 

There are some of his books I havent read yet, The Rithmatist, Warbreaker, White Sand series, Infinity Blade series,  Unfettered series, Alcatraz series, Dreamer, and some of his novellas . I have read Mistborn Series, Stormlight Archives, The Recokners Series (which really made me appreciate Brandon's versatility as a writer) Elantris, The Emperors Soul, Perfect State, Snapshot, Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell, and Skyward. I'm currently reading "Legion - The many lives of Steven Leeds."  

You may wonder why I havent read all of his books and yet say he is my favorite author but its just because I am a bit of a reading junkie. I really love reading, and really, really, REALLY love fantasy. Authors like Melissa McPhail (one of my favorite female authors), Jeff Wheeler, Tad William's (his Otherland series is in my top 3), Diana Wynne Jones (so love her), Christopher Paolini, Sara J Maas, Charlie N. Holmberg, Shae Ford, Michael G. Manning, James Islington....and so many more. So yeah I have a problem but there are worse addictions to have than reading right? 

So here I am, breaking away from reading to visit with other fans of Brandon and I'm also here to glean wisdom because I am also an aspiring novelist...I just have to learn to put the books down and focus. Look forward to getting to know everyone! 

2 hours ago, Gancho Libre said:

YAAAAAAY!!!! Welcome to the Shard!

Tell me, if you could choose one of Brandon's worlds to live in, which would you choose?

Hmmm, that's a tough one because if I had to choose a world it would have to include the opportunity to know and interact with the characters as well. I think for me it would have to be the latter half of the Mistborn trilogy and it's world caught between the old west and the cusp of a modern industrial world and a splash of brit. And who wouldn't love getting to run around with  Wax & Wayne solving mysteries?!?

1 hour ago, Taradiddle said:

What's your favorite number?

Ummm I dont know that I have one. I could say 7 because it is so often considered a holy number, but then so should 3. 21 could be the best of both worlds and marks the age we get the freedom to enjoy a nice drink with dinner. Excellent food and a drink that compliments my meal are one of the things I find nourishing to my soul. Let's go with that. 

Edited by Shayolen

12 minutes ago, Shayolen said:

I have it on good authority that the cookies are not to be trusted. I would however take a nice glass of wine or coffee. 

You can't trust the wine or coffee either, as sad as it is to say. Nothing is sacred anymore.

No shame in not having read everything Brandon's put out. What's your favorite magic system?

1 hour ago, Invocation said:

You can't trust the wine or coffee either, as sad as it is to say. Nothing is sacred anymore.

No shame in not having read everything Brandon's put out. What's your favorite magic system?

Coffee is most definitely sacred and should never be tainted with sugary confections of any kind. Anyone willing to sully coffee clearly consorts with voidspren.   I do however take mine with cream. 

That's a hard question. I like the concept of magic being drawn from the world around you, I like it intermixing with alchemical concepts, I like it being fantastical but grounded in logical processes, I like its connection to both the physical and spiritual, I like that it has rules and consequences but also endless possibilities. I think that's why I like Brandon's approach to magic in his books; they're very well thought out and I get to understand why it works the way it does. They're all pretty awesome.

14 minutes ago, Shayolen said:

That's a hard question. I like the concept of magic being drawn from the world around you, I like it intermixing with alchemical concepts, I like it being fantastical but grounded in logical processes, I like its connection to both the physical and spiritual, I like that it has rules and consequences but also endless possibilities. I think that's why I like Brandon's approach to magic in his books; they're very well thought out and I get to understand why it works the way it does. They're all pretty awesome.

That's fair, there are a lot of cool ones Sandman has come up with.

10 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

How about a glass of punch? ^_^

If you could have dinner with one of Brandon's characters, who would you choose?

Well, can I cheat and say Brandon (and his wife because that would be appropriate) so I could have dinner with them all? Lol

So many choices... I'm an artist, I love all forms and do many of them, sculpting, sketching, painting, photography, videography, singing, writing...so I would probably find a kindred spirit in Shallan, or waxilliam because hes both a scholar and an artist and observes the world around him intensely. It's been too long since I've read some of his other works, with too many other authors inbetween, to connect names and characters. I have read way of kings more than once so it sticks in my mind more than others, and Wax and Wayne are pretty much unforgettable.

19 minutes ago, Shayolen said:

Well, can I cheat and say Brandon (and his wife because that would be appropriate) so I could have dinner with them all? Lol

So many choices... I'm an artist, I love all forms and do many of them, sculpting, sketching, painting, photography, videography, singing, writing...so I would probably find a kindred spirit in Shallan, or waxilliam because hes both a scholar and an artist and observes the world around him intensely. It's been too long since I've read some of his other works, with too many other authors inbetween, to connect names and characters. I have read way of kings more than once so it sticks in my mind more than others, and Wax and Wayne are pretty much unforgettable.

Excellent choices all around! I actually don't know who I would have dinner with so I suppose that was a rather unfair question of me to ask. :P I suppose Hoid is an obvious choice, and I think it would also be fun to have dinner with Breeze. We'd drink wine and be snarky, and I'm sure he'd Soothe me into thinking I had the most excellent time.

Edited by ZincAboutIt

1 hour ago, Stampede said:

So you like Dianna Wynne Jones? Have you read Howl's Moving Castle? Is it worth the read?

Welcome!

I have only seen Miyazaki's movie of Howl's Moving Castle which happens to be my favorite Miyazaki movie followed closely by My Neighbor Totoro. However I just recently bought all 3 of the Howl Books so I will be reading them soon and let you know. I have read other works of hers that were excellent. I have read Fire & Hemlock, Dogsbody, and Charmed Life book 1, all were excellent. I'll let you know what I think of the Howl Books once I've read them. Currently reading Landmoor by Jeff Wheeler & the Legion books by Brandon Sanderson.

11 minutes ago, Scion of the Mists said:

Welcome to the Shard!

I would highly recommend The Rithmatist.  It's by far his best non-Cosmere book (although I do like The Reckoners and Legion as well).  The Rithmatist is only like $3 on Amazon - it's a steal!  

Thanks, I read a sample of it long ago, it looked good. I cycle through different types of books. Rithmatist is a YA book and while I liked what I read in the sample, at the time I was looking for a different kind of read. I will eventually cycle back to it. :)