Anyone see polyamory as an option for shallan and adolin

Adolin was said to have wandering eyes and seems open-minded.

Shallan has fancied how many characters now? Kabsal, Jasnah, Kaladin, Adolin... And that's just in the (year?) we know her. 

With the apocalypse upon them, propriety is falling apart. I can see them...experimenting.

The only reason I'm skeptical is because Brandon's focus is never on sex — he's deliberately stated so multiple times and I think he'll stand in keeping relationships vague. But who knows. Perhaps he'll surprise me.

Anyone think this is possible, in canon or just as a real-world hypothetical?

I'm not gonna judge about whether or not it would be good for them, but I doubt it will happen anyway, for reasons you provided.

I personally wouldn't mind reading something like this though.

I think that would be a bad idea for Shallan. She needs to put herself back together, not tear herself further apart for each new person. I don't have anything against, I like wheel of time after all, but not the best idea for the story.

Nah, this would be really weird.  I could maybe see it if they weren't married, but given that they are I just don't see it happening.  First of all, they're both way too insecure -- it would be a disaster for their relationship at a time when they really need the relationship to be strong.  Second, it seems rather out of character -- if neither of these characters were sleeping around when they were single, why on earth would they start once they were married?

5 hours ago, The Night Watcher said:

Adolin was said to have wandering eyes and seems open-minded.

Shallan has fancied how many characters now? Kabsal, Jasnah, Kaladin, Adolin... And that's just in the (year?) we know her. 

With the apocalypse upon them, propriety is falling apart. I can see them...experimenting.

The only reason I'm skeptical is because Brandon's focus is never on sex — he's deliberately stated so multiple times and I think he'll stand in keeping relationships vague. But who knows. Perhaps he'll surprise me.

Anyone think this is possible, in canon or just as a real-world hypothetical?

When did Shallan show an attraction to Jasnah?

1 hour ago, Sudzy6 said:

When did Shallan show an attraction to Jasnah?

They're referring to this, and much speculation that followed. 

Silverstars

Every time Shallan thinks about Jasnah it's so gay which is #relatable, @BrandSanderson did you realize how bi you wrote her?? Either way, thank you.

Brandon Sanderson

This wasn't directly on my mind while writing, but looking back, I think it was in my subconscious. I'm flattered to hear it.

General Twitter 2016 (Sept. 26, 2016)

It's definitely not explicit. 

I understand why some people like this idea, but I don't think it fits the culture that Brandon has established. This is something that irritated me tremendously in Wheel of Time... Minor spoilers:

Spoiler

Rand's harem didn't work at all in my opinion. Just incredibly awkward and unbelievable. While some of that is because Jordan didn't sell me on the characters' emotions very well, it's also largely because it doesn't fit the culture.

Rand-Aviendha-Elayne could have worked, because Aviendha brings the Aiel culture and the girls have a unique relationship. Throwing Min into the picture just made it seem... Forced? Unbelievable?

So I'm not saying it couldn't have been done. But at this point. I just don't see how it could be done without looking... crude.

Also, people (particularly young people) showing romantic interest in several people in a short timespan seems like a very week basis to assume they're polyamorous. And the apocalypse seems like the absolute WORST time to experiment...

21 minutes ago, Jofwu said:

I understand why some people like this idea, but I don't think it fits the culture that Brandon has established. This is something that irritated me tremendously in Wheel of Time... Minor spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

Rand's harem didn't work at all in my opinion. Just incredibly awkward and unbelievable. While some of that is because Jordan didn't sell me on the characters' emotions very well, it's also largely because it doesn't fit the culture.

Rand-Aviendha-Elayne could have worked, because Aviendha brings the Aiel culture and the girls have a unique relationship. Throwing Min into the picture just made it seem... Forced? Unbelievable?

So I'm not saying it couldn't have been done. But at this point. I just don't see how it could be done without looking... crude.

Also, people (particularly young people) showing romantic interest in several people in a short timespan seems like a very week basis to assume they're polyamorous. And the apocalypse seems like the absolute WORST time to experiment...

Agreed on all points. Especially about Rand and company.

Wheel of Time spoilers I guess.

Spoiler

All three of his relationships with them were forced in really weird ways.

His relationship with Avienda feels the most natural to me. Forcing two young, attractive, powerful people to spend that much time around each other will probably end with them in the sack. The Wise Ones know this all to well and were obviously hoping for that outcome. The weird part is Avienda's guilt about it, though this probably just comes down to Aiel nonsense.

Elaine's relationship with him feels like it only exists because plot.

I hate how Min basically changes everything about herself to try and catch Rand's eye. Their dialogue feels really awkward too.

Back to Stormlight, I really hope book four brings some closure to all of the relationship shenanigans.

Edited by SwordNimiForPresident

Just would like to point out that Shallan would not have to get worse in order to be polyamorous. She could still reintergrate the other personas into herself, and realize as herself Shallan, that she is polyamorous. Not saying whether there is evidence or not, nor am I saying whether or not Brandon would write it (which I do not think is a valid point as he has written other instances contrary to his own beliefs such as atheism and homosexuality). I am just saying that Shallan could be a completely mentally healthy Shallan and be polyamorous. There doesn't need to be multiple "Shallans" to accomplish that. 

2 hours ago, Pathfinder said:

Just would like to point out that Shallan would not have to get worse in order to be polyamorous. She could still reintergrate the other personas into herself, and realize as herself Shallan, that she is polyamorous. Not saying whether there is evidence or not, nor am I saying whether or not Brandon would write it (which I do not think is a valid point as he has written other instances contrary to his own beliefs such as atheism and homosexuality). I am just saying that Shallan could be a completely mentally healthy Shallan and be polyamorous. There doesn't need to be multiple "Shallans" to accomplish that. 

That's how I always felt. I guess I always viewed her story as a child forced to grow up too fast. She feels young to me. Unlike Kaladin, who seems older than Dalinar sometimes, Shallan's narrative always felt like the musings of a woman new to adulthood, still clinging to childish ideas even while the world contradicts him. She suppresses her feelings in the hope that they will disappear. In the same way, she seems to deny truths because with them, reality will become too terrible to handle.

I see her secondary personas as a way to cope, different facets of her nature exaggerated into their own characters. The Shallan we see on screen has parts of Veil and parts of Radiant in her. She's either suppressed those parts over time in order to be the perfect daughter/ward/wife, or discarded them because they didn't serve her for the situation she was in. I think that Shallan is the main personality, yes, but the others are just as valid, and a healthy Shallan will find ways to incorporate all her parts into her life.

Edited by The Night Watcher

3 hours ago, Pathfinder said:

nor am I saying whether or not Brandon would write it (which I do not think is a valid point as he has written other instances contrary to his own beliefs such as atheism and homosexuality)

I'm disinclined to follow the polyamory line of thought, and in this instance, I think this is one Brandon would actually steer away from because of optics. As an LDS author, or for any member of the LDS faith really, polyamory (and polygamy) tends to have a fairly negative blowback, and I think Brandon's efforts to divorce his work from his own faith would suffer because of those optics.

If I were an author, I'd want to steer clear of that topic, even if I'm okay with writing homosexuality, atheism, or other contrary topics. But that's just my two cents. I know polyamory between Shallan, Adolin, and Kaladin is a pretty popular concept.

14 minutes ago, Alderant said:

I'm disinclined to follow the polyamory line of thought, and in this instance, I think this is one Brandon would actually steer away from because of optics. As an LDS author, or for any member of the LDS faith really, polyamory (and polygamy) tends to have a fairly negative blowback, and I think Brandon's efforts to divorce his work from his own faith would suffer because of those optics.

If I were an author, I'd want to steer clear of that topic, even if I'm okay with writing homosexuality, atheism, or other contrary topics. But that's just my two cents. I know polyamory between Shallan, Adolin, and Kaladin is a pretty popular concept.

I respect that you are disinclined towards polyamory line of thought, and as an author you would steer clear of the topic. I do not think Brandon would have the same experience as you, but as neither of us are in his head, I recognize this is pure conjecture. Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought polygamy was originally accepted in the LDS faith. Later on they changed it, though a sect still pursues it today. Is that correct? I think if Brandon chose to include it in his books, it would be unrelated to his faith and only portray it after much research like he has done with atheism and homosexuality. 

1 minute ago, Pathfinder said:

I respect that you are disinclined towards polyamory line of thought, and as an author you would steer clear of the topic. I do not think Brandon would have the same experience as you, but as neither of us are in his head, I recognize this is pure conjecture. Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought polygamy was originally accepted in the LDS faith. Later on they changed it, though a sect still pursues it today. Is that correct?

I really, really wish that it were as simple as a change, but honestly it's a topic that is still one we struggle with 160 years after its discontinuance--it's kind of a black mark a lot of us have difficulty understanding, kind of like you might consider the Crusades as a Catholic. And the "sect" you refer to is a splinter from a long time ago that is completely disavowed and not related to us at all. Members are excommunicated for being involved with it or polygamy, so it's definitely something we don't affiliate with.

5 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

I think if Brandon chose to include it in his books, it would be unrelated to his faith and only portray it after much research like he has done with atheism and homosexuality. 

The only reason I speculate on this is because it would inevitably be linked to his faith by the general public eye. "Mormon author writes novel about polygamy", even if it's an honest attempt to portray what a true polyamorous relationship might look like. But like I said, that's just my opinion.

20 minutes ago, Alderant said:

The only reason I speculate on this is because it would inevitably be linked to his faith by the general public eye. "Mormon author writes novel about polygamy", even if it's an honest attempt to portray what a true polyamorous relationship might look like. But like I said, that's just my opinion.

Agreed. This would have absolutely nothing to do with Brandon's intentions, and everything to do with the narrative that would be shaped by the public and media. 

I'm in no way religious, and it's such an obvious risk that even if Brandon did miss it, I'm sure there are plenty of people in his life who would be like "hold up a second and think about this." 

As far as I'm aware, the religious polygamy only went one way. One guy, multiple women. Writing a relationship with one girl and two men would be outside thr paradigm ascribed to Mormons. (I could be talking outta my butt at this point. If I'm offending anyone from the LDS community please let me know so that I can gain a better understanding).

That being said, while I find the idea intriguing I'm not sure it's the story Brandon wants to tell. I wouldn't hold out hope on seeing it come to fruition. YMMV of course.

• Chaos locked this topic