Roshek - The Great Census of 1305

ZincAboutIt

8 minutes ago, Godhunter said:

At the barest hint of a possible confrontation inside the building, Janim hopped up from the feigned doze, becoming a sniffer hound and padding inside to hopefully head off a confrontation. "Did I hear you needed a bloodhound?" they asked.

"I don't think so."

Amara smiled at them.

"Give me a moment."

She walked over to Jürgen, placed a hand on his arm.

"Just leave him be? If he's feeling too important for us lowly humans, then he can leave."

She smiled at him, hoped to desescalate this somehow.

"Don't give him the satisfaction to provoke you."

Her eyes wandered to the Apex, turning cold.

"I feel like you should apologize, or maybe leave. There's enough bloodshed already with the disappearances."

@Steel Inquisitive

@Vargo Seldon

@Chasmfiend#1

@Godhunter

5 hours ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Aldred chuckled, then knelt down and scratched under the wolf's chin. When done, he continued up the stairs, calling back down to Chadwick.

"Did you get any breakfast? Liezl's likely helping the mage with his wagon, but I'm sure I could find you something in the back. Well, that is, if you like fish."  

Chadwick purred slightly, although it came out more like a growl, Chadwick shook as Aldred stood up

"fish is meat, and I like meat" Chadwick said as he joined Aldred at the top of the stairs.

3 minutes ago, Sorana said:

She smiled at him, hoped to desescalate this somehow.

"Don't give him the satisfaction to provoke you."

Her eyes wandered to the Apex, turning cold.

"I feel like you should apologize, or maybe leave. There's enough bloodshed already with the disappearances."

Janim, seeing that the conflicts centered around the Apex, turned to Algorath. "Perhaps we should talk outside, my friend."

@Vargo Seldon

11 hours ago, Steel Inquisitive said:

Jürgen laughed. "Do you mean to say it would be more helpful if I had a bloodhound instead of you here?" Jürgen's smile vanished when he heard Algorath's speech to the man.

Jürgen stepped up to him, nose to nose. "You. Are. Not. Superior. To. Anyone." He said in a quiet voice, as soft as a breeze, but with the force of a hurricane. He pronounced each word separately, intimately.

@Sorana @Chasmfiend#1 @Vargo Seldon

Algorath stared back into Jürgen's eyes with a gaze of steel.  "I was speaking logistically to the man who gave you these gloves," he growled holding up the gloves, "I am far superior to him physically.  It's a matter of logistics that I can run faster, jump higher, and kill more efficiently than him over there."  He turned to the girl and the bloodhound that had just wandered in, "Are you mocking me?  I could leave this all right now, but you would not find a better hunter than I."  The suggested discussing it outside, and Algorath snapped, "No, I will work this out where all can hear."

@Sorana

@Chasmfiend#1

@Steel Inquisitive

@Invocation

Are you all in the street or the tavern?

Aldred stood up from behind the counter, a large silvery fish in one hand, a wooden bowl in another. The low thrum of magic pulled at him from nearby. 

An argument, he thought, quickly setting the fish in the bowl and sliding it toward Chadwick. Excellent.

His headache had almost fully receded, and he felt energy singing it’s way through his blood. “Your food’s ready,” he said to the wolf, grinning. “Or, you could come help me make sure whoever’s our there doesn’t kill one another in front of Liezl’s lovely tavern.” 

@Turtle373 @Vargo Seldon

2 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Aldred stood up from behind the counter, a large silvery fish in one hand, a wooden bowl in another. The low thrum of magic pulled at him from nearby. 

An argument, he thought, quickly setting the fish in the bowl and sliding it toward Chadwick. Excellent.

His headache had almost fully receded, and he felt energy singing it’s way through his blood. “Your food’s ready,” he said to the wolf, grinning. “Or, you could come help me make sure whoever’s our there doesn’t kill one another in front of Liezl’s lovely tavern.” 

@Turtle373 @Vargo Seldon

In my head canon we're outside the census building, but from what I understand, the two are close.

23 minutes ago, Vargo Seldon said:

Algorath stared back into Jürgen's eyes with a gaze of steel.  "I was speaking logistically to the man who gave you these gloves," he growled holding up the gloves, "I am far superior to him physically.  It's a matter of logistics that I can run faster, jump higher, and kill more efficiently than him over there."  He turned to the girl and the bloodhound that had just wandered in, "Are you mocking me?  I could leave this all right now, but you would not find a better hunter than I."  The suggested discussing it outside, and Algorath snapped, "No, I will work this out where all can hear."

@Sorana

@Chasmfiend#1

@Steel Inquisitive

@Invocation

Mutig actuly laughed, shaking his head in amusement.

"Ah your cute, impure."

When he got control again, he looked Algorath, starring in a level manner into his eyes.

"You said just yesterday you where different from your kind, but all I see is another impure trying to make himself look important. I personally, would be just fine if you left and was replaced by a bloodhound, at least they don't have the spine to think their the best. You claim that your senses are the best in this world, yet you missed not only me on the first night, but also a giant spider that's probably been here for awhile. Now you tell me how your the best here, because I think a dog would be better suited for these matters."

He said it calmly, but with a hint of anger. does he not realize that lowly human could kill him before he blinked? And that's not adding me if I chose to fight.

@Sorana

@Steel Inquisitive 

@Vargo Seldon 

@Invocation

Edited by Chasmfiend#1
I was assuming we where at the tavern.

9 minutes ago, Chasmfiend#1 said:

Mutig actuly laughed, shaking his head in amusement.

"Ah your cute, impure."

When he got control again, he looked Algorath, starring in a level manner into his eyes.

"You said just yesterday you where different from your kind, but all I see is another impure trying to make himself look important. I personally, would be just fine if you left and was replaced by a bloodhound, at least they don't have the spine to think their the best. You claim that your senses are the best in this world, yet you missed not only me on the first night, but also a giant spider that's probably been here for awhile. Now you tell me how your the best here, because I think a dog would be better suited for these matters."

He said it calmly, but with a hint of anger. does he not realize that lowly human could kill him before he blinked? And that's not adding me if I chose to fight.

@Sorana

@Steel Inquisitive 

@Vargo Seldon 

@Invocation

Algorath was surrounded on all sides.  "Look, that man called me an 'animal', and I said I was superior to him.  What's wrong with stating the truth?  I am superior in a physical sense."

50 minutes ago, Vargo Seldon said:

The suggested discussing it outside, and Algorath snapped, "No, I will work this out where all can hear."

"I do not argue against working it out in public, merely where we have less of a chance of drawing attention and interfering with what should be happening here."

49 minutes ago, Invocation said:

"I do not argue against working it out in public, merely where we have less of a chance of drawing attention and interfering with what should be happening here."

Algorath conceded.  "Yes, we should be looking for the missing person now, not arguing over my misstep of words."  He turned around, glove in hand, to head for the Fens where he had last smelled it.

@Chasmfiend#1

@Sorana

@Steel Inquisitive

Edited by Vargo Seldon

3 minutes ago, Vargo Seldon said:

Algorath conceded.  "Yes, we should be looking for the missing person now, not arguing over my misstep of words."  He turned around, glove in hand, to head for the Fens where he had last smelled it.

Janim inwardly sighed in relief over the lack of stubborn pride and followed.

51 minutes ago, Sorana said:

Amara looked questiongly at Jürgen and Mutig, silently asking them if they planed to follow Algorath. She had no intention to be alone with him.

@Chasmfiend#1

@Steel Inquisitive

He nodded at Amara. "Lead on," he called to Algorath. He paused, hoping the Sayer would join them. Faön help me, but I'm no leader.

@ZincAboutIt

25 minutes ago, Steel Inquisitive said:

He nodded at Amara. "Lead on," he called to Algorath. He paused, hoping the Sayer would join them. Faön help me, but I'm no leader.

@ZincAboutIt

Aldred walked down along the canal, following the call that tugged him onward. He spotted the group a little ways down the street, close to a section of road that slopped downward towards the Fens.

"Going somewhere?" he asked JürgenSomewhere dangerous no doubt. No one ever looks so somber on their way to a pub or a minstrel show.

Algorath stopped and turned back to the man who had approached.  "Yes, we are.  You may join us Sayer.  We could use all the help we can get, and your magic is powerful indeed.  Though I don't know if it will work against something mindless, like a monster."

So what exactly is it that we're looking for here?  Or will we find out when we find it?

@ZincAboutIt

@Sorana

@Steel Inquisitive

@Chasmfiend#1

On 3/31/2019 at 4:56 PM, Turtle373 said:

Chadwick followed Aldred out of the tavern, and joined the group, "do you know what took them?" he asked.

"We don't know yet, but whatever it is, it's probably not going to just let us find it. " Mutig said, looking at Chadwick, "perhaps you and I should find some more back-up, just in case."

@Turtle373

22 minutes ago, Chasmfiend#1 said:

"We don't know yet, but whatever it is, it's probably not going to just let us find it. " Mutig said, looking at Chadwick, "perhaps you and I should find some more back-up, just in case."

@Turtle373

"that's probably smart, there's some people back at the tavern that could help. Do you want to go get them?" 

6 minutes ago, Turtle373 said:

"that's probably smart, there's some people back at the tavern that could help. Do you want to go get them?" 

"Sounds like a plan to me, let's go. " Mutig announced, "Amara, any chance you have a spare piece of cloth? It's so our dear friend can find you guys even quicker than us searching the Fens."

@Sorana 

@Turtle 373

8 hours ago, Chasmfiend#1 said:

"Sounds like a plan to me, let's go. " Mutig announced, "Amara, any chance you have a spare piece of cloth? It's so our dear friend can find you guys even quicker than us searching the Fens."

@Sorana 

@Turtle 373

"Sure."

She sat down her pinnate and used the moment stretch her back and loosen her shoulders. It was heavy, and while she was used to its weight, she was always happy when she could set it down. Sorting through it, she handed a tunic to Chadwick.

"So you'll fetch those at the tavern, and we follow him,"

She gestured towards Algorath,

"To whereever the lost ones are?"

While waiting for an answer she made sure some bandages and potentially useful herbs were securely placed at the top of her pinnate, so that she could reach them quickly.

@Turtle373

@Steel Inquisitive

@Vargo Seldon

Edited by Sorana

"Lost ones?" Aldred said, stepping closer. "Sorry, but what exactly has been going on around these parts? All this magic floating around these days makes it hard to sense anything dangerous. I mean..." he gestured behind him, where Mutig and Chadwick had started up the road back to the tavern. "Those two alone would be enough to pull me toward a place out in the wilds. Here, there's a Natural magic being on every street corner."

He moved to sit next to Amara, thoughts turning toward darker things. "Has something been taking people? Let me guess, there's a terrible rumor flying around about it..."

Belief. Such power in belief, and even a simple story could soon grow wildly out of control.

@Sorana

39 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

"Lost ones?" Aldred said, stepping closer. "Sorry, but what exactly has been going on around these parts? All this magic floating around these days makes it hard to sense anything dangerous. I mean..." he gestured behind him, where Mutig and Chadwick had started up the road back to the tavern. "Those two alone would be enough to pull me toward a place out in the wilds. Here, there's a Natural magic being on every street corner."

He moved to sit next to Amara, thoughts turning toward darker things. "Has something been taking people? Let me guess, there's a terrible rumor flying around about it..."

Belief. Such power in belief, and even a simple story could soon grow wildly out of control.

@Sorana

"I don't really know what's going on."

Amara sighed, then left her pinnate to sit down next to him, carefully covering her legs as soon as she sat. Her hand closed around one of the straps, to make sure nobody would steal it.

"We've been told rumors that people vanish. Children, women, men. We got a glove from the man over there as well as a description, and figured we could try to find them."

She looked around, softly massaging her temples. So many people, they were giving her a headache. So many were ill or injured or depended on some plants. So many were starving, their bodies tinted by a sick orange light. And she saw it all, saw who was supposed to die, who would survive, who would end up a cripple.

3 minutes ago, Sorana said:

"We've been told rumors that people vanish. Children, women, men. We got a glove from the man over there as well as a description, and figured we could try to find them."

"Do they have anything in common, these missing people, other than the fact that they all went down to the Fens? I assume that's why we are here."

Aldred shuddered. The Fens were a half-sunken maze full of unsavory things, from gangs to cuthroats to rats big as a man's forearm. He'd spent several months in Roshek five years ago, and only once had he ventured down into the Fens. It had taken about a quarter hour for some ragged teens carrying bottle-glass shivs to corner him in a flooded alley and steal his money and his boots. But that wasn't the real reason he'd never taken a second look down there.

It had an odd feeling about it, the Old City. No one knew for sure what was down there, beneath all that water and silt. Sound moved strangely through the watery streets, and narrow passages would often open up into grand, bricked-over squares or promenades, only to funnel back into winding paths. Staircases would end in walls, and old buildings filled with row upon row of luminescent mushrooms. Aldred had even heard stories of the old Academy being down there, though he doubted that one. The Academy had been built farther up the shore on solid rock, and looked like it had stood there forever. Still, the Fens were not a place Aldred wished to find himself.

"I'll want that mage with us," Aldred muttered. "Him and his fancy coin lantern. We'll need all the light we can get down there even during the day. It's constant twilight down there, and wretched hard to move without being overheard."

I'm off to bed! More tomorrow!