Book 2 speculation *Spoilers*

Aranfan

I figure why not speculate what stuff with happen in book 2?  I'll start by throwing out some stuff that occurs to me:

The Brighteyes who cheated Kaladin of his Shardplate and Shardblade is said to be on his way to the Shattered Plains.  He's in for a nasty shock when he sees Kaladin is favored by Dalinar.

Szeth and Kaladin having a throwdown in full sight of everyone.

I'm also thinking there will be a fight between Szeth and Kaladin. And it will be AWESOME. I don't think Kaladin would take anyone's Shards, though. Syl doesn't seem to like them, at the very least. I'm personally also hoping to learn a little bit more about Shadesmar.

I definitely want to know more about Shadesmar, and want to see a slightly larger focus on Shallon, who I find just a bare fraction more interesting than Kaladin or the other viewpoints. I think, at the moment, the two would go hand-in-hand - Shallon learning more about Shadesmar.

I also want some kind of proof for my theories, which I haven't gotten around to posting here yet.

I agree that Kaladin shouldn't get Shardblade or Plate, simply because it's awesome seeing someone being so cool without the fancy toys everyone else relies on.  ;D

I vaguely remember Brandon saying that each book in the series will concentrate on a different character. If I'm remembering that correctly, it's definitely possible that Shallon will play a bigger role in the next book. Which I find awesome, because that likely means a bigger role for Jasnah, who is my favorite character.

Dalinar FTW!  *ahem*  I predict that book 2 will focus on Dalinar, then Shallan gets book 3, with book 4 focusing on Szeth Son Son Vallano, Truthless of Shinovar.  By then we'll probably have more characters, and book 5 will move on to one of them.  Or, that could happen sooner, bumping Szeth's book to later in the series.  But, yeah,  All Hail Dalinar, Highprince of War, for book 2.

Wouldn't it be funny if all of the main characters in WoK got shuffled to being interludes for book 2?  That'd be hilarious. ;D

I'd actually think that we'll probably get either Shallan, Dalinar or Szeth as the main for book 2 with a character we either know and haven't gotten a viewpoint from yet (like Jasnah) or someone we haven't met yet, but will meet in book 2, for 3.  Or we might skip over the main three besides Kaladin from WoK and skip straight to someone like Jasnah.

I think that we might see that Sadeas is not as loyal to the crown as we think he is...

Prologue:

"I... expected you... to come," The king said between gasps.

The king coughed. "You can tell... Thaidakar... that he's too late...."

"I don't know who that is," Szeth said,

The king frowned. "Then who...? Restares? Sadeas? I never thought..."

If Sadeas is the third person that the king thinks of having an assassin after him, that doesn't speak much of him.

Brandon has stated that each book will revolve primarily around one character. WoK was about Kaladin. I think book 2 will be about either Dalinar or Shallan in my opinion as both were set up quite substantially in the WoK. Personally I want it to be Shallan, and hopefully will shed light on her shardblade and murdering her father, as well as trying to learn soulcasting.

Brandon just said in an interview (on Madhatter or something) that his original idea for book 2 was to focus on Dalinar.  However, he is considering switching to Shallan.  He hasn't made up his mind yet. But he said that if he does go with Dalinar, book 2 will be called, "Highprince of War."

Does anyone remember when Adolin is dueling, and Dalinar is telling Elohkar and Sadeas about the Way of Kings and Elohkar starts being paranoid and tells them that he sees people with symbols? Shallan also sees symbols. Jasnah says they have something to do with natural Soulcasting. Does this mean that King Elohkar is actually good for something? Could he be a Soulcaster?

Does anyone remember when Adolin is dueling, and Dalinar is telling Elohkar and Sadeas about the Way of Kings and Elohkar starts being paranoid and tells them that he sees people with symbols? Shallan also sees symbols. Jasnah says they have something to do with natural Soulcasting. Does this mean that King Elohkar is actually good for something? Could he be a Soulcaster?

Check the thread, "Theory on Elhokar *Spoileriffic*"

*Edit* Oh, you already did.

• 7 months later...

I hope Book 2 focuses on Shallan because I wanna know how the heck she wound up killing her dad.

Also wanna see her end up actually summoning the Blade, just to see the massive This post has been reported for attempting to skirt the rules reactions from anybody else in the room at the time. Right before some of them die horribly. Or just run away screaming.

I suspect Szeth will get book 4.

I hope Book 2 focuses on Shallan because I wanna know how the heck she wound up killing her dad.

Also wanna see her end up actually summoning the Blade, just to see the massive This post has been reported for attempting to skirt the rules reactions from anybody else in the room at the time. Right before some of them die horribly. Or just run away screaming.

I suspect Szeth will get book 4.

Oh, that sounds like a great scene. I hope Brandon plays it for all its worth.

Shallan is probably one of the most powerful people in the world at the moment. I'm thinking it'll take a while for her to figure that out.

I'm really curious about whats gonna happen with Szeth's mission to assassinate Dalinar. If the four people it talks about on the back cover each get their own VP book and book 2 could end up being Shallan's VP book then Dallinar can't die cause it would end up with no VP for him in the future cause he's dead, On the other hand, death is the only thing that would stop Szeth from completing that mission. The only way I can see it happening that Szeth kills Dalinar (which gets rid of the possiblily of VP book for Dalinar) or someone (Kaladin most likely) kills Szeth and saves Dalinar (which ends ups getting rid of a future Szeth VP book). Obviously neither of these can happen but I don't have any Idea of what will happen to prevent them.

Oh and when Amaram shows up at the SP it will be AWESOME! It would have been epic if Kaladin was still in bridge 4 when he showed up to see what Amaram would do cause they would both be in Sadeas' army. But now that Dalinar has command over all of the armies and shardbearers and Kaladin is in his Honor Guard it will be x1000 cooler. especially when Amaram sees Kaladin for the first time. I mean, he branded a Glyph into his forehead, Kaladin can't get much more recognizable. I'm calling right here saying that will be the best part of book 2.

I think that the Dalinar/Szeth (or the highly suspected Kaladin/Szeth) fight has to end in not-a-death. Which means

1. Szeth won't attack. He decides not to do it. Whether to not kill, or not even make an attack, he sees the honor that these two have and doesn't take the final blow. He breaks his vow as a Truthless.

OR

2. Kaladin wins (unlikley but possible), but doesn't take the final blow, because he's tired of killing.

OR

3. Szeth can't attack. He looses his powers, whether through the little rock his owner has, or by loosing his cursed Shardblade, or something else.

OR

4. Someone orders Szeth not to attack. Someone get control of Szeth's rock, and commands him to not attack. This could be the King, changing his mind, or it could be a change in power.

So pretty much, with any of these, one of three things happens. One, Szeth crawls (or scurries) away in exile, whether in fear or embarassment, or as self-punishment. He may slink back to the King, but I don't think so.

Two, Szeth joins Team Dalinar/Kaladin and the Fight for Justice!

Three, Szeth joins a new team (only if someone new gets his rock)

I'm thinking that fight is going to wind up being Adolin and Kaladin vs Szeth, seeing as Adolin is said to be a better fighter then Galivar was and Galivar gave Szeth some trouble I'd say they may have a decent chance of winning.

Then the trick will be stopping Adolin from killing Szeth, since he'd WANT to.

I think Szeth and Kaladin have to meet, whether or not they fight is probably in the air. But so far Szeth is the only one who can teach Kaladin how to be who he is, so I would suspect there has to be some teaching involved. I would also suspect that Shallan will be the focus of the next book, but she will have a love interest...will it be Adolin? Will Elokar realize he can soulcast like Shallan did or will that come later or will he go crazy from seeing the symbol heads? I think these questions will have to be answered in the next book which I am dying for even though it won't come out for a while. I'm on my fourth read through of the WoK and I normally cannot read a novel more than once. Amazing book.

I would love for the next book to be about Shallan - she's definitely my favorite character. Dalinar is interesting too, though - I would love to know exactly what he asked of the Nightsister or whoever the Old Magic person is.

Hard to speculate details. Kaladin will definitely not be getting a Shardblade, as it's been well established that Shardblades in their current state are tools of Odium, not Honor.

Dalinar and Szeth will have to have a face-off, which will be made of win. Of course, Dalinar doesn't have his Shardblade anymore, so it looks ti be quite one-sided.

We'll also be finding out what on earth happened with Shallan and her father.

And the Ghostbloods! And creepy King Taravangian.

And the PARSHMEN. Holy crap the Parshmen. I'm inclined to think that we'll see them go nuts sooner rather than later, just because their nature has been revealed so soon.

Anyway, it'll be awesome.

Or Jasnah will be completely wrong about it. The parshendi just seem to be too much of Honor to be the servants of Odium. (Though that could be like the Kandra, I suppose) Ooh. What if Odium has the same powers that Ruin has? As in book-changing powers? But if he does, why isn't he being more blatant about it?

Ruin was very sneaky about it. Sometimes a little bit of messing around goes a long way. It's something that's occurred to me before. I wonder how you'd stop him? Carve it into gemstones? Gemstones seem to be the items of power on Roshar. Would be a pain in the neck though, even the big gemhearts aren't big enough to easily carve much into one, you'd need a bunch of them to get any serious writing done.

Alhough I kind of feel like that would be doing the same thing that Brandon did in Mistborn, and it's kind of predictable. Still, if Odium does have that ability, no reason why he wouldn't use it......

We've only had the first book of ten and Brandon loves twists (that make perfect sense once you understand what's going on). I'd say just about anything could happen.