Church of the Whiterose Complex

Lunar Blessing

An older woman opened the door, looking them up and down. She head tan skin and solids black hair tied in a tight braid. "Hello... how can I help you? I have a lesson in fifteen minutes, so you'll need to be quick." She had a mildly stern voice, but it was tempered by an obvious attempt to contain whatever annoyance she may have been feeling. The wrinkles on her face proclaimed her asshe and the bags under her eyes- along with the somewhat tired look in her eyes- said she was stressed and not sleeping well. That she still had self-control was a testament to her commitment to her job. 

On 28.11.2019 at 6:41 PM, ShadowLord_Lith said:

An older woman opened the door, looking them up and down. She head tan skin and solids black hair tied in a tight braid. "Hello... how can I help you? I have a lesson in fifteen minutes, so you'll need to be quick." She had a mildly stern voice, but it was tempered by an obvious attempt to contain whatever annoyance she may have been feeling. The wrinkles on her face proclaimed her asshe and the bags under her eyes- along with the somewhat tired look in her eyes- said she was stressed and not sleeping well. That she still had self-control was a testament to her commitment to her job. 

Lena smiled at her. "Hello. We are here to ask about different ways to treat slightly injured people, as well as the use of fabrics or motivators to get this done."

She replied quickly and then held out her box with pancakes. "Do you want to have a pancake?"

She sighed. "Come in. You might as well watch." She opened the door, walking back to a table in a far corner where rudimentary welding materials and a blacksmith-esque area was set up. It was very small, though, and seemed barely large enough for what she was doing. Which, by the looks of the table, was the repair or maintenance of a fabrial. "This needs an emerald to function, but can turn various materials into grain. It can't hold a large gem, yet, so only handfuls cam be safely made at a time. It, and the other two actual fabrials were have were badly damaged during the massacre, and I'm still trying to fix this one. If you have any help ri offer, I won't say no- but fabrial studies hasn't been very effective without a fabrial for the children to study. I've been losing sleep over it..." She grimaced, pulling on some goggles and moving her braided hair behind her shoulder as she got back to work, handling the device and tools with an intimate level of knowledge as she started back on repairs. For the most part, she ignored her visitors, focused on her task.

Edited by ShadowLord_Lith

On 11/20/2019 at 8:52 PM, ShadowLord_Lith said:

Fun fact- this great guild is still new, most of the children are orphans or the kids of staff, and they have more guards than they used too. If anything goes wrong, all children are to be taken to the safest location possible, and the alarm sounded. They still lack most of the resources that other great guilds might have.

And there's me, too!

You haven't forgotten that extremely pivotal, very important moment, have you? Right? Hello? :lol:

"...fabrial studies hasn't been very effective without a fabrial for the children to study. I've been losing sleep over it..." the teacher said, pulling back Eve's attention. 

She kept her face as clear from the emotion caused by that statement as possible.

No fully working fabrials.

That complicated things. They couldn't get in, grab something, and scoot. It was fitting, Eve realized, that when she finally decided to give something Invested a chance again, it didn't  function. 

Though, there hadn't been any mention of motivators. Did the "self-righteous" guild think the devices too cruel?

Honestly, she wouldn't have been all that surprised. 

Lena followed the woman inside, mostly to keep the appearance of being nothing but a harmless student. No working fabrials? This guild really was a sorry sight. But they had the money to build all of this, to pay for all of this - so maybe they could find a vault or something?

She rubbed to fingers together behind the woman's back, wordlessly asking the others if they wanted to focus more on money, or if they should go on here. A fabrial that produced grain sounded interesting and an emerald - they would have to steal it somewhere, but that shouldn't be a problem.

"So what exactly is wrong with it?" She asked curiuosly, interested to see if maybe she could repair it on her own.

8 hours ago, Ookla the Dreamer said:

Lena followed the woman inside, mostly to keep the appearance of being nothing but a harmless student. No working fabrials? This guild really was a sorry sight. But they had the money to build all of this, to pay for all of this - so maybe they could find a vault or something?

She rubbed to fingers together behind the woman's back, wordlessly asking the others if they wanted to focus more on money, or if they should go on here. A fabrial that produced grain sounded interesting and an emerald - they would have to steal it somewhere, but that shouldn't be a problem.

"So what exactly is wrong with it?" She asked curiuosly, interested to see if maybe she could repair it on her own.

She hummed, pointing to a few sections. "Missing some metal here, a few of the designs on the sudde that look decorative aren't, and those got scratched up, and I need to finish fixing the housing case for the gem. It was way worse last year. I had to rebuild it almost from scratch. We maybe could've bought one, but we had to spend too much on rebuilding and improving our position in the guilds. We're still too new here, and to be any less of a target, we need to get allies to help protect us... we don't have the resources or members to fully defend ourselves yet. It's frustrating... this way the guild runs a bit more smoothly, at least... It would've been easier if that art teacher hadn't gone missing... he would've finished these designs months ago." She sat back, rubbing her eyes tiredly. "Are fabrials all you wanted to talk to me about? We also teach the kids about motivators in this class, though we don't have any. The fabrials were have really belong to members of the guild, or we wouldn't even have them. Motivator classes are more theoretical than actually knowledge-based. We teach various kinds of courses on investiture and abilities using it, realmatic theory courses, one or two more research oriented classes that let the kids do their own investigating... what exactly are you interested in?" She turned her chair, removing the fabrial from the work table and moving to put it away in a display case. 

• 2 weeks later...

“The physical,” Alask said, responding to her question. Looking to the woman he tried out his acting skills. Hadn’t had practise conning people in a while, but it was always fun when he got the chance. He had given up thieving for the most part when he’d joined the Forge... but everyone had their guilty pleasures.

“You see, when we joined this guild we wanted to do something right, for this city. For our beautiful city.” He made his eyes wide like a kitten and formed a sorrowful posture.

“But, nobody has any actual things to help us. Only, books, when most homeless can’t even read. Only books, theories, research,” carefully he repeated her words back to her. “But, if only we could have detail on the physical, the actual applications and implications, maybe we could do something right for once.”

She nodded, considering that. "Alright... if you'd like, I could call you over once this is done, and demonstrate it for you with the kids during class. Once they've used it, they'll study and try to reproduce it with parts I make in advance. You could even keep some of the working attempts, if the kids don't mind you having them... It'll teach them about charity. Maybe we'll actually start up some of the charity plans we made when we were founded once we finish setting up the guild..." She grumbled softly, but only seemed frustrated, not actively upset. "That aside, I'm sorry to waste your time today... This hunk of metal isn't quite finished yet, so it can't do much of anything. I'm sorry to waste your time." She seemed truly apologetic. "We have some books detailing what was done, and various methods used, but the actual action of using the device is... difficult to describe. For me, at least." She gestured to a leather book on one of the shelves in the room. 

Shae walked past the entrance, trembling as he looked around. He was home... He made his way to the front desk a few people who noticed him either confused or recognizing him and running off to tell various people. He stopped at the front desk, fighting back tears. "Hello sir, I... I'd like my teaching job back, and... I'd... like to see Dan..." The thought that he was actually home, and that he'd be teaching children how to paint again made him start crying, and he couldn't force himself to stop, even when the man started to comfort him. He felt relieved when the man sent a guard off to find and inform Dan about Shae being back. 

@Ookla the Ninja

Shae nodded, clinging to him and sobbing. He just wanted to go to his room and sleep somewhere warm and familiar again... he wanted things to be normal. He couldn't bear to burn his notebooks, but he would hide them. He was so ashamed of himself... "I wanna sleep..." He didn't answer other than that nod. If he'd said he was okay, that would've only been true physically. After all, he had glasses now and could see. Emotionally and mentally though, he hurt almost as badly as he had during the massacre, and this time all that pain and suffering that might be caused? He knew that it was on his hands... or, he blamed himself. He was just... tired...

1 hour ago, ShadowLord_Lith said:

She nodded, considering that. "Alright... if you'd like, I could call you over once this is done, and demonstrate it for you with the kids during class. Once they've used it, they'll study and try to reproduce it with parts I make in advance. You could even keep some of the working attempts, if the kids don't mind you having them... It'll teach them about charity. Maybe we'll actually start up some of the charity plans we made when we were founded once we finish setting up the guild..." She grumbled softly, but only seemed frustrated, not actively upset. "That aside, I'm sorry to waste your time today... This hunk of metal isn't quite finished yet, so it can't do much of anything. I'm sorry to waste your time." She seemed truly apologetic. "We have some books detailing what was done, and various methods used, but the actual action of using the device is... difficult to describe. For me, at least." She gestured to a leather book on one of the shelves in the room. 

"So, you will contact us?" Lena asked, worked hard to supress the urge to roll her eyes. They could get some of the working attempts if they waited. Waiting sounded so incredibly boring she wondered if they should just grab something only for the sake of stealing it. Learning how to build these devices sounded interesting, but she wasn't here to learn how to glue metal together. Or whatever it was that they did. She just wanted to steal something she could sell. Or something that was interesting enough, that it warranted keeping it.

She nodded. "If you give me a way to do so. Although, if you end up being liars, here for any reason other than what you say, I swear that not even the gods will be able to keep you safe." She turned a gentle glare on them, only mildly suspicious and trying to be trusting. She wasn't exactly scary, though she did a fantastic job of conveying a threat despite that. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2019 at 10:49 AM, ShadowLord_Lith said:

She nodded. "If you give me a way to do so. Although, if you end up being liars, here for any reason other than what you say, I swear that not even the gods will be able to keep you safe." She turned a gentle glare on them, only mildly suspicious and trying to be trusting. She wasn't exactly scary, though she did a fantastic job of conveying a threat despite that. 

Eve resisted the urge to match and return the glare. Instead, she had herself think of Mart and his stories for the Haunt. She smiled genuinely at the woman.

"I assure you, we only wish to do our best for the city. The fact you even faintly doubt us is slightly insulting, to be honest. These days, there really aren't enough good people around for us to be able to have infighting," she said, surprising herself in how none of it was fully a lie.  "Thank you for taking the time to talk with us. We really appreciate it."

She glanced at Alask and Lena, unsure of what they intended to do.

Alask quietened. A failure. They had an idea to scout out the place, but that was as far as they’d gotten. None of the fabrials were working and they had no motivators. But, surely they would have had something to use in defence? Like a whisper in his head, Zyn’s words repeated themselves. He’d heard they’d defended against the Ghostblood attack.

Which meant they had tools to defend themselves with.

“It’s a tragedy,” he said to the woman, gesturing to the broken fabrials. “How the attack broke your equipment. It’s a good thing you guys managed to fight them off, or more students would be at risk, I imagine.” His real disappointment mingled with his fake concern.

“I imagine you must have had good security, to be able to take on a Great Guild invading like that.”

She shook her head. "Lucky aid from another great guild or two. If it hadn't been for Shae's forgery, our losses and repair bill would've been much, much higher. I'd offer to show you, but I'm not sure anyone other than the head priest knows where the stamp is kept. You could ask Erlend, I suppose. Or you could talk to Shae, if... if he ever comes back. He might be able to make you some forgery stamps, if you needed any. If he were back, I might've finished this blasted thing already..." She grumbled. "By the sisters... is there anything else you need? I'll do my best to help. It's our hope to become a charity once we've become stable enough. The attack... it set us back a fair bit." She grimaced, unhappy with that. She hasn't signed up to spend months repairing arcane equipment- she'd signed up to teach. It was... highly frustrating...

Lena only gave a slight shrug and then shook her head. "Thank you for your time." She replied to the woman and then looked at her friends. Useless. What a useless great guild. Maybe they could grab some crysts on their way out, but that seemed to be about everything. Slightly frustrated she looked around. The stamp.

"Where can we find Erlend?" She inquired, mostly to have a chance to get some information about the stamp as well.

The woman looked up at her, sighing. "I would check his office. If he's not there, I'd look at the rose gardens. He's usually there. Otherwise, ask around. I'm certain you can find someone to help you. Now, if you need any help, please don't hesitate to all. And please, come back in a few weeks. I'm sure I'll have this done by then... and, if you bring the right materials, maybe I can start making one for you. I can't provide the gem, but... I hope it'll be some help. I have a better idea on how these work now, so... it won't take me nearly as long."

Shae stopped Dan before they left the grounds, looking back at the building. "Dan... could we go see Erlend? Please?" He looked up at the Winged dog-man, pleading. He needed to tell someone about this, and he didn't want to tell it twice. 

@Ookla the Ninja