Neutral ideas for what I want from the next book(s)

Sedside

On 2/17/2019 at 3:51 AM, Sedside said:

I have some little stupid (or not) ideas of what can happen in the next book or two. I also want a couple of (forgotten) plotlines to continue, but those plotlines can also be somewhat small or uncertain, and I'm not sure any of those is worth a separate thread. So let's collect and discuss those neutral ideas here, and if any of them gathers a big interest start a new thread for it.

Again, I want to stress. This is a topic for neutral, non-holywar ideas and plotlines. No Maya revival, no love triangles and other ships, no Sadeas, no Shallan's children, no main character deaths, no anything like that, please, deal? :)

All right, here is my list:

1. Rysn and Wandersail. I think there can be a connection with Puuli's granfather's prophecy. Will our Radiants crew sail towards the Origin for some purpose?
  2. Return of Yalb. Maybe he will join Wandersail's crew. Shallan had drawn him alive, and I would be really glad to see him again, I love him so much.
  3. Kaladin's flute. There was a WoB that this flute will eventually return to the story. How could it happen? What for?
  4. Hav. Where is he? Is he alive? Will he meet Kaladin?
  5. SimCity 1176: Urithiru. You know, I love city building strategies, if I was a game developer, I would definitely love to write an Urithiru simulator. By the way, how do they recharge spheres, if they are above the storm?
  6. I am also crazy about this "stormlight puffing from lips" stuff. Can we possibly see an in-book mechanically justified "reviving kiss"? :) Note, no predictions between whom! But we all know it will be Lopen and Rock. I think it would be a funny use of a centuries old trope.
  7. Shallan's brothers. Will they be a help or a threat? Can they tell Shallan's secrets to wrong ears? There also is a possibility for Shallan to be manipulated by Mr T, if he takes them hostages or something like that.
  8. (added later) Another idea is that Kaladin could train Shallan's army of illusions, so they will be even more overpowered, if they fougth with a good skill and in battle formations. And Kaladin would probably be fascinated by an opportunity to have an army of perfectly trained soldiers, that don't require protection, as they are practically immortal.

1) That would be cool

2) I had the same thought

3) I hope so

4) Who knows

5) They have large bags and nets

6) Um, Shallan and Adolin just got married.

7) Their is also the fact that they still think that their father killed their mother

8) They are illusions so no he could not.  They have no sentience beyond Shallan's directions (they are basically part of her).  They also can die as we see in the final battle in Oathbringer.  It would be far more effective to train Shallan herself.

On 2/18/2019 at 6:34 AM, Oltux72 said:

A crime they have no proof of. A crime they would implicate themselves in if they talked about it.
They have every reason to remain silent.

Well, even if they are interested in Cryptics, why would their brothers disbelief the official story of her being an Elsecaller? Maybe the Diagram says otherwise, but then King Taravangian already knows. And they are certainly safer and harder to threaten in Urithiru than in Jah Keved, where he rules.
Please elaborate.

I am pretty sure that everyone knows that Shallan is a lightweaver.  (Massive illusion army?)

What I want to see

1) Urithiru power up scene!

2) Venli using the transport surge to avoid the eyes of the fused.

3) Rlian bonding an honorspen

4) A mass swearing of ideals. (Like 10 or 20 radiants at the same time)

5) Windrunners carrying a large army and or flying in formation.

6) I can't help myself Ash+Taln

7) Bonding the Nightwatcher

8) The horneater peaks

On 2/17/2019 at 3:51 AM, Sedside said:

I have some little stupid (or not) ideas of what can happen in the next book or two. I also want a couple of (forgotten) plotlines to continue, but those plotlines can also be somewhat small or uncertain, and I'm not sure any of those is worth a separate thread. So let's collect and discuss those neutral ideas here, and if any of them gathers a big interest start a new thread for it.

Again, I want to stress. This is a topic for neutral, non-holywar ideas and plotlines. No Maya revival, no love triangles and other ships, no Sadeas, no Shallan's children, no main character deaths, no anything like that, please, deal? :)

All right, here is my list:

1. Rysn and Wandersail. I think there can be a connection with Puuli's granfather's prophecy. Will our Radiants crew sail towards the Origin for some purpose?
  2. Return of Yalb. Maybe he will join Wandersail's crew. Shallan had drawn him alive, and I would be really glad to see him again, I love him so much.
  3. Kaladin's flute. There was a WoB that this flute will eventually return to the story. How could it happen? What for?
  4. Hav. Where is he? Is he alive? Will he meet Kaladin?
  5. SimCity 1176: Urithiru. You know, I love city building strategies, if I was a game developer, I would definitely love to write an Urithiru simulator. By the way, how do they recharge spheres, if they are above the storm?
  6. I am also crazy about this "stormlight puffing from lips" stuff. Can we possibly see an in-book mechanically justified "reviving kiss"? :) Note, no predictions between whom! But we all know it will be Lopen and Rock. I think it would be a funny use of a centuries old trope.
  7. Shallan's brothers. Will they be a help or a threat? Can they tell Shallan's secrets to wrong ears? There also is a possibility for Shallan to be manipulated by Mr T, if he takes them hostages or something like that.
  8. (added later) Another idea is that Kaladin could train Shallan's army of illusions, so they will be even more overpowered, if they fougth with a good skill and in battle formations. And Kaladin would probably be fascinated by an opportunity to have an army of perfectly trained soldiers, that don't require protection, as they are practically immortal.

1. Wait isn't Wandersail going to be a novella maybe? But I definitely agree, Rysn is one of my favorites, and I think she a lot of potential as a non-radiant character.

2. I'm like 90% sure that Yalb is actually dead, Shallan is not a super reliable narrator about unpleasant things.

3. Not high on my list, but power to you!

4. Hav: I'm pretty sure Hav is off with the Void-bringers as part of the larger contingent, but given his interactions with Kal during the flashback in OB, he might want to hang onto his emotions a little more than average. Hopefully we'll find him trying out for the Windrunners some time.

5. That'd be a game id buy.

6. I'm not into that, but when Lift revives Gawx, she gets close doesn't she? I'm pretty sure Gawx has a thing for her, at least partly because of that.

7. I'd like to see them all swear oaths, they certainly all are broken enough for it. They could join Shallan as squires.

8. I think that would involve Kaladin training Shallan. I'm not sure how much "mind" the illusions have, versus whether they are just pieces of connection made visible.

My Turn!

1. Shallan and Adolin's actual wedding ceremony. It'd be nice to start the book like that for a brief bit. 

2. Gaz becoming a squire, and Ishnah joining Shallan rather than the Ghostbloods. Also Shawb becoming a squire and then complaining about stormlight somehow.

3. Lift and bridge 4 actually talking, as opposed to just offscreen talking.

24 minutes ago, Config2 said:

2. I'm like 90% sure that Yalb is actually dead, Shallan is not a super reliable narrator about unpleasant things.

She had a vision about him emerging on the shore and another with Baxil's mistress ruining some statue. If one of the two is actually true, why wouldn't the other be as well?

8 hours ago, Karger said:

6) Um, Shallan and Adolin just got married

I don't understand what you mean. Adolin is not a KR.

8 hours ago, Karger said:

8) They are illusions so no he could not.  They have no sentience beyond Shallan's directions (they are basically part of her).  They also can die as we see in the final battle in Oathbringer.  It would be far more effective to train Shallan herself.

What I meant by "training" was showing her the proper motions, stances, and battle formations for her soldiers, so she could draw them in details and command her army later. I know, they can die, but for Kaladin it still means he doesn't need to protect them.

3 hours ago, Config2 said:

6. I'm not into that, but when Lift revives Gawx, she gets close doesn't she? I'm pretty sure Gawx has a thing for her, at least partly because of that.

Gawx is not a KR. What I meant, is a possible situation, when one KR is heavily wounded without any Stormlight left, and another one has some. And so there goes a... transfer :)

Edited by Sedside

4 hours ago, Config2 said:

I am also crazy about this "stormlight puffing from lips" stuff. Can we possibly see an in-book mechanically justified "reviving kiss"? :) Note, no predictions between whom! But we all know it will be Lopen and Rock. I think it would be a funny use of a centuries old trope

Sorry to burst bubbles, but it won't work. A person's Stormlight gains Identity once inhaled. Demonstrated in the Kholinar Infiltration. Kaladin tried to suck in Stormlight from Shallan's artistic creations and was rebuffed, though he had no trouble recovering his own.

15 minutes ago, Sedside said:

What I meant by "training" was showing her the proper motions, stances, and battle formations for her soldiers, so she could draw them in details and command her army later. I know, they can die, but for Kaladin it still means he doesn't need to protect them.

They are also not particularly effective soldiers (they can't kill anyone)

6 minutes ago, Karger said:

They are also not particularly effective soldiers (they can't kill anyone)

They can block the way, as I understand. Also, hadn't she added Soulcasting to Lightweaving in TC battle, so they got some flesh? I'm not sure I understand clearly what happened there.

8 minutes ago, Bigmikey357 said:

Sorry to burst bubbles, but it won't work. A person's Stormlight gains Identity once inhaled. Demonstrated in the Kholinar Infiltration. Kaladin tried to suck in Stormlight from Shallan's artistic creations and was rebuffed, though he had no trouble recovering his own.

I thought about those illusions, but I thought maybe it only works on already used Stormlight, not only inhaled. But I see now :(

Edited by Sedside

12 minutes ago, Sedside said:

They can block the way, as I understand. Also, hadn't she added Soulcasting to Lightweaving in TC battle, so they got some flesh? I'm not sure I understand clearly what happened there.

I'm not sure "flesh" is the right term here, but they did seem to have a bit of solidity to them,and Jasnah did speculate Shallan was using Soulcasting as well as Lightweaving, though she also said that Stormlight by itself has a bit of mass.So it's not totally clear.

2 hours ago, Bigmikey357 said:

I'm not sure! I dont think it's a method we've seen tried. I mean, radiants can redeposit stormlight into gemstones. If two people were close enough and familiar with the power we could see it done. I think you're right that it can't be taken without intent on the holder's part though (unless you're a larkin).

5 hours ago, CrazyRioter said:

Have some people dig a pit and then cover the pit with an illusion. Spikes at the bottom are optional.

Illusions are so far the greatest military advantage any KR could offer. Sun Tzu would go mad with joy having Shallan in army...

11 hours ago, CrazyRioter said:

Have some people dig a pit and then cover the pit with an illusion. Spikes at the bottom are optional.

Haha, that's a nice idea!

9 hours ago, Config2 said:

I'm not sure! I dont think it's a method we've seen tried. I mean, radiants can redeposit stormlight into gemstones. If two people were close enough and familiar with the power we could see it done. I think you're right that it can't be taken without intent on the holder's part though (unless you're a larkin).

Yeah! That's exactly what I thought about redepositing to gemstones. They can transfer Light through the gemstones, so why can't they do it directly? You brought my hope back :D

5 hours ago, NoiseSpren said:

Illusions are so far the greatest military advantage any KR could offer. Sun Tzu would go mad with joy having Shallan in army...

Yeah, Shallan is imba. As well as Jasnah. Actually, "the protecting guys" in a big fight should just protect those two nukers and don't waste their Stormlight :D

14 hours ago, Bigmikey357 said:

Dalinar/Bondsmiths are potentially the exception to this rule. It is confirmed by Brandon that a power of Bondsmiths is to empower other Radiant's surges (like we saw with Shallan's illusion). 

20 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

Dalinar/Bondsmiths are potentially the exception to this rule. It is confirmed by Brandon that a power of Bondsmiths is to empower other Radiant's surges (like we saw with Shallan's illusion). 

But that's not transferring Stormlight, it's raising efficiency of the Stormlight a Radiant has already. I speculate that what Dalinar is doing is temporarily bumping a Radiant up an Ideal or 2 without them saying the Words (the more Oaths given the more efficient the usage of Stormlight for a given Radiant). Dalinar magically replaces that Hemi V-8 engine with a Prius Hybrid motor only without losing any of the power.

1 hour ago, Bigmikey357 said:

But that's not transferring Stormlight, it's raising efficiency of the Stormlight a Radiant has already. I speculate that what Dalinar is doing is temporarily bumping a Radiant up an Ideal or 2 without them saying the Words (the more Oaths given the more efficient the usage of Stormlight for a given Radiant). Dalinar magically replaces that Hemi V-8 engine with a Prius Hybrid motor only without losing any of the power.

Dalinar produces stormlight and amplifies the effect of other radiant's surges despite the investiture being assigned to that radiant. Actually I have to check the scene with Shallan again because if I recall correctly he asks Shallan about areas, she gets up and walks near him, and then the illusion appears. Shallan is surprised, and Renarin says "don't look at me", so it was done without Shallan's intention. In addition the illusion is from what the stormfather sees, not from Shallan. So I would not say it was just bumping the radiant up an oath. The illusion accomplished things Shallan would never have been able to accomplish alone regardless her oath level, and Dalinar seemed to produce it by "pulling" at her. Brandon has also confirmed that the amplification functions differently for each order. 

edit: found the scene. got some tidbits wrong, but the main amount right. will quote and add more when I have time in a bit. 

edit 2: Shallan comments that she has heard of those places, but only has academic information on them. There is a map on the wall that could be said she based the illusion on, but Shallan herself comments she could not do this level of detail when she just does not possess that level of knowledge. It is then that Dalinar reasons it is what the stormfather sees from above, and that this illusion requires the both of them, unable to be attained alone. I got wrong about it not being Shallan's intention. She does draw in stormlight and release it, but she says herself "I don't know if I did anything. I couldn't have created this, Brightlord. I don't have the knowledge". Renarin confirms the stormlight came from Shallan, yet Dalinar "tugged" on her, changing what the illusion could do. The stormlight was drawn into Shallan, so was definitely assigned to her identity, yet Dalinar could change it. 

Edited by Pathfinder

3 hours ago, Sedside said:

Haha, that's a nice idea!

Yeah! That's exactly what I thought about redepositing to gemstones. They can transfer Light through the gemstones, so why can't they do it directly? You brought my hope back :D

Yeah, Shallan is imba. As well as Jasnah. Actually, "the protecting guys" in a big fight should just protect those two nukers and don't waste their Stormlight :D

Um or they could just protect Dalinar who will eventually have the power to destroy entire species? And why Jasnah? I will admit that she is amazing no question but what makes her so much more impressive then say Renarin who can see the future or Kaladin who can toss people into the sky by touching them?

Edited by Karger

1 hour ago, Karger said:

Um or they could just protect Dalinar who will eventually have the power to destroy entire species? And why Jasnah? I will admit that she is amazing no question but what makes her so much more impressive then say Renarin who can see the future or Kaladin who can toss people into the sky by touching them?

She can transform anything into anything, and teleport. I think those two abilities are very powerful. We see a taste of one fully used at Thaylenah by Jasnah. 

2 hours ago, Pathfinder said:

Dalinar produces stormlight and amplifies the effect of other radiant's surges despite the investiture being assigned to that radiant. Actually I have to check the scene with Shallan again because if I recall correctly he asks Shallan about areas, she gets up and walks near him, and then the illusion appears. Shallan is surprised, and Renarin says "don't look at me", so it was done without Shallan's intention. In addition the illusion is from what the stormfather sees, not from Shallan. So I would not say it was just bumping the radiant up an oath. The illusion accomplished things Shallan would never have been able to accomplish alone regardless her oath level, and Dalinar seemed to produce it by "pulling" at her. Brandon has also confirmed that the amplification functions differently for each order. 

edit: found the scene. got some tidbits wrong, but the main amount right. will quote and add more when I have time in a bit. 

edit 2: Shallan comments that she has heard of those places, but only has academic information on them. There is a map on the wall that could be said she based the illusion on, but Shallan herself comments she could not do this level of detail when she just does not possess that level of knowledge. It is then that Dalinar reasons it is what the stormfather sees from above, and that this illusion requires the both of them, unable to be attained alone. I got wrong about it not being Shallan's intention. She does draw in stormlight and release it, but she says herself "I don't know if I did anything. I couldn't have created this, Brightlord. I don't have the knowledge". Renarin confirms the stormlight came from Shallan, yet Dalinar "tugged" on her, changing what the illusion could do. The stormlight was drawn into Shallan, so was definitely assigned to her identity, yet Dalinar could change it. 

True, all true. But that's still not transferring Stormlight between Radiants. If Shallan has no Stormlight left she cannot kiss a fully charged Renarin to refill her reserve.

35 minutes ago, Bigmikey357 said:

True, all true. But that's still not transferring Stormlight between Radiants. If Shallan has no Stormlight left she cannot kiss a fully charged Renarin to refill her reserve.

Lol but Dalinar could (forgetting the image of Dalinar kissing Renarin :::shudder:::: lol). He wouldn't even need to "kiss". He would just provide the stormlight as he did at Thaylenah

edit: to add, though this portion is conjecture, what is to say that Dalinar couldn't take stormlight from one radiant and give it to another? We do not know the level of stormlight manipulation that Dalinar can do. The stormfather even said he is a binder of gods. Makes me wonder what else he can do. 

Edited by Pathfinder