Spren in the Rosharan system

Brightness Jencee

Roshar is the only one that has spren that are the way they are on Roshar itself.

Seons and skaze could be classified as a form of spren, as well as the Shards, technically. It really just depends on what you mean by spren, but they're not even sure about the definition themselves.

16 minutes ago, Brightness Jencee said:

Is Roshar the only planet in the system that has spren or are they on Ashyn, Braize and the other planets as well?

As @Invocation said, there are sentient Splinter on/from other worlds that are similar but "Spren" is a Rosharan term.

As for the other planets in the Rosharan System, there are likely Voidspren on Braize, at least between Desolations, but we don't know about Ashyn.

37 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Roshar is the only one that has spren that are the way they are on Roshar itself.

Seons and skaze could be classified as a form of spren, as well as the Shards, technically. It really just depends on what you mean by spren, but they're not even sure about the definition themselves.

I was thinking more Rosharan specific(probably should've should've posted this under Stormlight) and how people accessed surges on Ashyn.  I have often wondered if Shinovar has no spren because when it was constructed as a home for humans, some sort of cognitive barrier was put around it to keep spren out so humans couldn't access the surges. However, I'm now remembering that spren had nothing to do with accessing the surges until after Honor appointed the Heralds and gave them the honorblades. Now I'm wondering if humans even had access to the surges on Ashyn....

59 minutes ago, Brightness Jencee said:

Now I'm wondering if humans even had access to the surges on Ashyn....

Yes, sort of. Brandon has said that the magic sysem on Ashyn was slightly different but operated on the same basic principles. The disease-based magic that is there now isn't exactly the same as what was there before the caraclysm but Brandon has RAFO'd specifics.

Surges destroyed Ashyn so it's fair to say that humans had access to Surges there. But they had a totally different method for access. Currently Ashyn has disease-based magic system but a recent WOB says it wasn't always so. Still, the spren bond that grants the Surges is a Rosharan thing, imposed by Ishar after the Desolation cycle started.

So is it possible that the humans on Ashyn were actually voidbinding and accessing the surges directly through Odium since he was their god (assuming my understand of voidbinding is correct)? Then, when they came to Roshar and abandoned Odium for Honor, he (Odium) took voidbinding away from them and gave it to the Singers?

We don't know that Odium was actually the god of the humans on Ashyn, only that he was involved with what happened there. The Dawnsingers considered Odium to be the humans' god and the latter gave him more of an ear when he arrived but it's not confirmed that humans actually worshipped Odium or were consciously aware of his existence.

11 hours ago, Bigmikey357 said:

Surges destroyed Ashyn so it's fair to say that humans had access to Surges there. But they had a totally different method for access.

This isnt actually known for sure either, depending on how you define "surges". But Ashyn was destroyed by misuse of a system that operated on similar principles fo surgebinding.

19 hours ago, Jace21 said:
On 2/3/2019 at 2:50 AM, Bigmikey357 said:

Surges destroyed Ashyn so it's fair to say that humans had access to Surges there. But they had a totally different method for access. 

This isnt actually known for sure either, depending on how you define "surges". But Ashyn was destroyed by misuse of a system that operated on similar principles fo surgebinding.

I'm not sure what else could have destroyed Ashyn if not the Surges.  Ashyn magic, whatever it looked like pre-exodus, was based on the Surges.  

• Chaos locked this topic