Hemalurgically transmitted diseases

ZenBossanova

Hemalurgy can remove and transplant parts of people's spirit webs. Some people have distorted spirit webs, if only from being previously spiked. If a person had a defect in their spirit, could that defect be transmissible? Could we have a whole range of Hemalurgically transmitted diseases of the spirit web? 

This could lead to an additional level of horror when dealing with Hemalurgy. 

It would depend on what you're spiking yourself with, I think. When it comes to stolen allomantic and feruchemical powers you're stealing just the bit of spiritweb that controls having a given power and a bit of Identity, which I assume is universal even if it's only confirmed for feruchemy due to getting access to the donor's metalminds. If you were stealing something like physical strength or mental power from a donor with a particularly weird spiritweb it might be possible it messes yours up more than normal. But just having a cracked spiritweb isn't going to do anything bad to you because by definition, anyone with magic to steal via hemalurgy already has some sort of crack in their spiritweb.

51 minutes ago, Weltall said:

It would depend on what you're spiking yourself with, I think. When it comes to stolen allomantic and feruchemical powers you're stealing just the bit of spiritweb that controls having a given power and a bit of Identity, which I assume is universal even if it's only confirmed for feruchemy due to getting access to the donor's metalminds. If you were stealing something like physical strength or mental power from a donor with a particularly weird spiritweb it might be possible it messes yours up more than normal. But just having a cracked spiritweb isn't going to do anything bad to you because by definition, anyone with magic to steal via hemalurgy already has some sort of crack in their spiritweb.

I imagine, trying to get someone's allomatic ability, but also getting their hydrophobia, or propensity for violence. Or schizophrenia. 

Edited by ZenBossanova

Why would you want to hemalurgically transmit diseases/disabilities as well ? Geez Hemalurgy is already painful enough you monster. 

There was a WOB a while back (I'm really bad at finding them, and can't get ahold of this one), but Hemalurgic effects can be genetically passed on under the correct circumstances, in the same way as Rosharan eye and hair color, so theoretically, yes.

Think there are weird effects when you have children as a hemalurgic user (i only remember a wob saying that Inquisitors children can inherit allomantic/feruchemical traits but there'll be something weird with them)

Edited by goody153

As far as transferring the warped bits of a spiritweb, we have examples of the Era2 Koloss and Royal Locks, both of which I think are confirmed to be reasonable targets of Hemalurgy (as is just about anything you can be born with). 

Also, for what it's worth, a quirk of Hemalurgy is that you never get Infections from the spikes, so there's some sort of insulation going on to protect you against mundane dangers. 

• Chaos locked this topic