Aluminum theory

A theory I put on reddit a year or so ago, but not that I've joined the arcanum, I would like to put it here as well.

I was re-reading Mistborn recently and it got me thinking about aluminum. We know that very invested metals are difficult to push/ pull- thats why Mistborn don't just push the linchpin spike of Inquisitors to kill them. Aluminum also cannot be pushed or pulled, despite being metal, so this lead me to believe that it is heavily invested. I think it is a fair assumption that there is aluminum other than sel, seeing as nightbloods sheath is made out of aluminum. (redacted, bot thought it was spam???) (#48). Since no shards we know of would go around the cosmere spreading highly invested metal, I'm fairly certain aluminum is Adonalsiums god metal. There is the problem however, that Mistborn don't get ridiculous amounts of power when burning aluminum (like when burning Atium), but I think this is because they just use Aluminum as connection to Preservation, just like any other metal. Evidence: when burning tin, for example, Mistborn don't convert the atoms to energy- instead it gives connection to Presevation and preservation fuels the allomcany instead. I think the energy stored inside MAY be unlocked while burning Duralumin. Stronger allomancers can burn metals at a faster rate, and they are more invested. Duralumin makes you burn ALL of your metal in an instant, so that makes it seem to me that Duralumin temporarily makes you and extremely powerful Mistborn- that would take a lot of investiture, so the aluminum must be fueling it.

On a side note I have a hunch that Yolen magic is fueled by Aluminum- and possibly, aluminum is dragon steel. I have no evidence for this portion, except for that Yolen was adonalsiums world.

Welcome to the Shard!

It's an interesting theory that has come up a few times. The problem with this is that you can soulcast things into aluminum, whereas you can't soulcast things into atium or lerasium because they're too invested.

Also, if you have things to add to your post, you want to hit the Edit button, rather than double posting (And this is the 17th Shard, not Arcanum :) )

Edited by RShara

The godmetal theory of aluminum might work given that the investure has nothing to resist. It pulls in investure because it is directly connected to the source of all investure. That is why Aluminum drains metals on Scadrain and negates other magics. It is the ultimate gate back to the Spiritual Realm. When investure is used on aluminum, the aluminum pulls it back into the Spiritual Realm and negates the effects of the investure. I present as evidence that Identity is tied directly to the Spiritual Realm, and that is why aluminum stores and steals Identity. The metal mind acts as a pocket of the Spiritual Realm and stores the Identity there. When a soul stamp or shardblade hits aluminum, the investure effects are negated or pulled back into the spiritual realm. 

1 hour ago, Shqueeves said:

No, it says aluminum removes all powers and duralumin steals Connection/Identity

Thank you, I mixed the two up in my head. The Feruchemical part of my theory does not work as well then, but the hemalurgic portion works even better because the investure attached to the spirit web would be pulled out by the aluminum. Same principle applies as in my earlier post.

9 hours ago, Gasper said:

That is why Aluminum drains metals on Scadrain and negates other magics. It is the ultimate gate back to the Spiritual Realm.

But it physically destroys metal on Scadrial, otherwise it would only remove stores you were burning.

If it were a just a black hole into the Spiritual Realm it shouldn't effect metal not being burned, but it does.

2 hours ago, Jace21 said:

But it physically destroys metal on Scadrial, otherwise it would only remove stores you were burning.

If it were a just a black hole into the Spiritual Realm it shouldn't effect metal not being burned, but it does.

The destruction of the metal is just an after effect of how investure works on Scadrial and the metallic arts in general. And it is not a blackhole, it is a gate. I suspect that it could be used to pull investure from the Spiritual realm, but that likely would require a hack that is not possible at the current time in the Cosmere. It is the internal pulling enhancement metal, and Duraluminum is the internal pushing enhancement metal so it is conceivable that Duraluminum pushes Investure into the Physical Realm at a quicker rate than an invested ability would normally. That is why it creates such a massive surge in Allomancy and burns away the metal being enhanced. It burns through the focus(metal) like the Dor burns through the Aon and a Surgebinder uses Stormlight. 

Except neither Sotrmlight or Aons (specifically) match the case of what metal is on Scadrial. 

Stormlight is consumed because it is the fuel, not the focus. We don't know exactly what it is, most people favir either Bonds, Spren or gems, but none are consumed through Stormlight use so it doesn't matter.

On Sel, the focus seems to be shape or form. But Aons are not consumed inscrobed onto something permanent, Dakhor monks retain there powers without their bones being destroyed, ChayShan doesnt seem to damage your body and while Ralkalest is unForgeable, we don't hear anything about it destroying the Stamp if you attempt it.

Metal is the focus for the metallic arts sure, but we have WoB that metal from any planet works so there is nothing inherently odd about Scadrial metal. And since Aluminum doesn't have the same investiture sucking effect in Feruchemy or really hemalurgy since you get the attribute, Allomancy is unique.

Alumonum may be somekind of gateway to the spiritual, but it doesn't explain why it physically destroys something before any actual investiture is used. There has to be something else to its interaction with Allomancy.

• Chaos locked this topic