Hoid's Inability to Harm Others

Just now, Scion of the Mists said:

The power of Preservation existed prior to the Shattering of Adonalsium.  Just because the Shard Preservation didn't exist doesn't mean that the Investiture didn't exist.  All Investiture got assigned at the Shattering to the Shards, but it's not new.  

Yeah, I was referring to the pure power of preservation as existing as separate being of investure. Prior the shattering, Preservation investure was just apart of Adonalsium. Hoid was alive before the intent of Preservation was assigned to the splinter of Adonalsium.

Pretty much just saying Hoid was there before Preservation intent existed as it does now. So he wouldn't be a shard of preservation or "fully of preservation" as @storming lighteyes put it

I have this half-baked theory that Hoid is essentially the first (or at least oldest) spren-like entitiy. Where Roshar's many spren are often produced, at least in part, by the way people view the thing/force they represent in the physical world, Hoid reflects what early people thought of some important concept, possibly God, possibly a messianic figure. They believed that he should always be in the right place at the right time and "do no harm", and the Hoid we know was "born". My only real evidence for this that I can think of right now is Hoid's past claim that he began as [paraphrasing] "an idea, words on a page". This could be a fourth-wall break, but I think Sanderson has, in annotations and such, implied or outright said that he is very wary about doing that sort of thing in his novels

It might be that Hoid was, in a way, the Adonalsium-spren. The long-ago mortal beings did not understand, maybe could not comprehend, the reality of Adonalsium, so their early beliefs about Him/Her/It led to the formation of a conscious being that became the Hoid we know and love.

Edited by King's Twit

5 minutes ago, King's Twit said:

I have this half-baked theory that Hoid is essentially the first (or at least oldest) spren-like entitiy. Where Roshar's many spren are often produced, at least in part, by the way people view the thing/force they represent in the physical world, Hoid reflects what early people thought of some important concept, possibly God, possibly a messianic figure. They believed that he should always be in the right place at the right time and "do no harm", and the Hoid we know was "born". My only real evidence for this that I can think of right now is Hoid's past claim that he began as [paraphrasing] "an idea, words on a page". This could be a fourth-wall break, but I think Sanderson has, in annotations and such, implied or outright said that he is very wary about doing that sort of thing in his novels

It might be that Hoid was, in a way, the Adonalsium-spren. The long-ago mortal beings did not understand, maybe could not comprehend, the reality of Adonalsium, so their early beliefs about Him/Her/It led to the formation of a conscious being that became the Hoid we know and love.

Hoid was human at one point, so there would have to be some form of transition there, which I don't think is completely realistic.

4 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Hoid was human at one point, so there would have to be some form of transition there, which I don't think is completely realistic.

Sorry, forgot to mention that bit. It is strongly hinted in Mistborn: Secret History that a Cognitive Shadow can reform their Connection with the physical realm. Because of this, I think it is at least possible that Hoid could pull off a similar trick, transitioning from spren to a bonafide person

Edited by King's Twit

2 minutes ago, King's Twit said:

Sorry, forgot to mention that bit. It is strongly hinted in Mistborn: Secret History that a Cognitive Shadow can reform their connection with the physical realm. Because of this, I think it is at least possible that Hoid could pull off a similar trick, transitioning from spren to a bonafide person

Possible, but I'd still call it unlikely based on the difficulty any sort of Cognitive Shadow would (probably) have getting around like Hoid does, even one who has refounded their Connection to the Physical.

Edited by Invocation

5 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Possible, but I'd still call it unlikely based on the difficulty any sort of Cognitive Shadow would (probably) have getting around like Hoid does, even one who has refounded their Connection to the Physical.

You might be right, I have no idea, but it is possible that a forged Connection would function identically to a natural one; with the exception of Khriss, I doubt anyone in the Cosmere would be more capable of figuring out a way to manage such a feat.

Just now, King's Twit said:

You might be right, I have no idea, but it is possible that a forged Connection would function identically to a natural one; with the exception of Khriss, I doubt anyone in the Cosmere would be more capable of figuring out a way to manage such a feat.

Fair, fair. Guess we'll find out in 20 some odd years, with Dragonsteel.

• Chaos locked this topic