Age of Stormlight Fans

Dalakaar

How old are you? (Or how old are you going to pretend to be?)  

149 members have voted

1. 1. How old are you? (Or how old are you going to pretend to be?)

• Under 12
    • 12-17
    • 18-24
    • 25-34
    • 35-44
    • 45-54
    • 55-64
    • 65-74
    • 75+

Hey all

Something I am curious about the age range of this forum as it currently stands. I wanted to do it in such a way as to not be too intrusive and luckily the poll option that hides usernames comes to the rescue.

And a brief mention to the mods:

Spoiler

I get that it's not specifically an SA question except, it is. I am not interested in the age range of the people on this website, but in the people that are here consistently on this specific forum. I'll argue it's about Stormlight fans, making it about Stormlight. Unless it falls outside of some other site rules I'd love to have it here and not in an off-topic forum I'll never visit. :) I understand it's a hazy line I'm walking on though.

Cheers :D 

49 minutes ago, Winds Alight said:

I'm 27 (born 1991). I started reading SA in 2011 when I was 19 (what the hell how can it already be that long). :)

35 for me. (Almost 36, ugh.)

I started with Mistborn, then he moved to finishing WoT which actually disappointed me a bit. I understood it got him recognition but I had given up on WoT partway through book 10 for good. I had been hoping to see more original works from him instead. Turns out I just had to wait a bit for SA to land. Amusingly, I only read Elantris for the first time a few months ago.

4 minutes ago, StormblessedSurvivor said:

13, my dad got me started on WoK and then @MarShadow got me started on Mistborn and the other Cosmere, which eventually brought me to the Shard.

Pretty much the same for me. I just barely turned 13 after I read OB though. I started with Elantris, then fell away from Sanderson until I read The Reckoners which made me want to read Warbreaker (I was 11) and then my dad suggested I read Mistborn. After that I was hooked. And then I read SA. 

Wish I had parents that started me reading SA at age 13. But I can't blame them. I was already in my late 20s when WoK was published :D. But I love that age doesn't matter at all here. The discussions in this forum are high class - thanks to you all whatever age you are!

Edit: Thanks @Dalakaar for the poll. It's interesting to see the statistics.

Edited by equinox

I'm 46 and my wife is 43.  I first encountered Brandon Sanderson in the last 3 installments of the Wheel of Time (which I started reading in 1994 or so).  After I read The Gathering Storm, I next read The Way of Kings, then Warbreaker, then Mistborn and Elantris.

Idk how it took me so long to see this thread.  But yeah, I’m 19.  Started with Rithmatist when I was 12 and was like “Oh, is there another book in this series?  Nope?  Oh well, moving on to the next author.”  2 years later, I encountered Steelheart without realizing it was the same author, and from there I got into the cosmere.  Also, I love seeing people post their actual ages.  I have a weird tendency to imagine that the more posts you have, the older you are.  So for example, @Toaster Retribution, discovering that you’re the same age as me was mind blowing :o.

On 1/15/2019 at 5:50 PM, Void89 said:

29 almost 30 lol, well I guess by the time this series ends we'll all be grandparents or close to it :D

:mellow: This made me have such a future flash vision of myself 20 to 30 years from now.   Sitting with my reading glasses in a chair with extra lumbar support or grumpily resigning myself to listening to the audible version of Stormlight Book 10 (sorry book listeners, I'm sure they're great, I just hate books on tape).

I turned 34 today!  I discovered Brandon because of WoT.  When I began reading The Gathering Storm, I instantly loved his writing style.  No hate on Robert Jordan because he is a master storyteller, but I prefer Brandon's portion of the series.  After I finished, I had one of those sad periods where you don't really know what to do with your life after finishing such an epic series, so I decided to look into this Sanderson guy and began reading The Way of Kings.  That was back in 2011. Wow!  Time flies!

Edited by Duke of Lizards
grammar