Shallan's "Garden" on the Shattered Plains

Lord Stickborn

Not sure if it this has been brought up in here before but haven't seen anything while looking and here we are. In Words of Radiance chapter 30 "Nature Blushing" while Shallan is still traveling to the war camps on the Shattered Plains, she notices a thicket of growth that stands out as unusually lush compared to the surrounding landscape and considering the general climate of the region. She has the group all stop and while shes's in this little thicket she starts to draw. Now, I already thought this little "garden" stood out as odd but then she starts to note all the diverse spren and flora, then has that drawing session where she unknowingly draws a scene with a certain set of sailors (presumably Yalb and the other wreck survivors) and another depicting a woman taking a chisel to a statues face (if you know, you know). Why was Shallan able to draw these scenes which we can reasonably assume were events that were either happening or had recently happened elsewhere on Roshar when she shouldn't have been able to? Was it something to do with the seemingly random and unimportant "garden" in the middle of nowhere? Is that "garden" a significant place or just a random tidbit, because it really jumped out at me. Thoughts?

The general thought is that she is using a form of spiritual illumination. Allowing her to draw these thing no matter the distance... I was about to go on my Truthwatcher rant about them seeing the present.... but will spare you:)

I hadn't thought about the garden being important before.... You might be onto something!

Stormlight causes plants to grow without needing a surgebinder to channel it, which is why the Parshendi needed the Gemhearts.  If I had to guess, Id say Thar Be Treasure Under that there Garden (/Pirate Voice)

Edited by Quantus

On 1/10/2019 at 1:52 PM, Quantus said:

Stormlight causes plants to grow without needing a surgebinder to channel it, which is why the Parshendi needed the Gemhearts.  If I had to guess, Id  Thar Be Treasure Under that there Garden (/Pirate Voice)

You mean like a gemstone deposit or something? That would hold the stormlight in that specific place and encourage the plants there to thrive like they do. 

40 minutes ago, Mailnaise said:

You mean like a gemstone deposit or something? That would hold the stormlight in that specific place and encourage the plants there to thrive like they do. 

That's the idea, could be natural gems, a secret stash, or even just a buried chasmfied corpse.

9 minutes ago, Quantus said:

That's the idea, could be natural gems, a secret stash, or even just a buried chasmfied corpse.

Now here's the question: does Voidlight do the same? Because wouldn't it be interesting if that's where Ba-Ado-Mishram and the gem that it was shoved in was buried there?

On 1/10/2019 at 1:13 PM, Lord Stickborn said:

Is that "garden" a significant place or just a random tidbit, because it really jumped out at me. Thoughts?

I think it was less a "this might be something" moment and more a world-building demonstration showing how life finds a way to exist on Roshar. Like the little patches of grass and weeds growing between cracks on a sidewalk. I don't think it's unique, Roshar would be covered in them. Like oases in the desert, just gotta know where to look.

On 1/12/2019 at 4:15 AM, Dalakaar said:

I think it was less a "this might be something" moment and more a world-building demonstration showing how life finds a way to exist on Roshar. Like the little patches of grass and weeds growing between cracks on a sidewalk. I don't think it's unique, Roshar would be covered in them. Like oases in the desert, just gotta know where to look.

Youre probably right, the Shattered plains (and most of Roshar) always seems to me to come across as more barren and storm-damaged that it actually is.  Though by that same virtue I like to think that there is a lot of gemheart content in the ground aiding it.  It seems that just about every native animal on Roshar has one, even if the Chasmfiends are the prized giant ones.

• Chaos locked this topic