Sunmaker's shardblade

Blessed peace

I just think its properties as a godmetal are odd for a metal. It never appears to undergo plastic deformation of any kind. Very brittle, very tough, not malleable or even that hard (easily scratched, relatively speaking). It behaves more like a ceramic than a metal

4 minutes ago, Kon-Tiki said:

I just think its properties as a godmetal are odd for a metal. It never appears to undergo plastic deformation of any kind. Very brittle, very tough, not malleable or even that hard (easily scratched, relatively speaking). It behaves more like a ceramic than a metal

Might partially be because of the Stormlight that's always coursing through it, plus the fact that we don't know the process of what Plate is, fully, yet, so it could be considered more ceramic than metal.

16 minutes ago, Kon-Tiki said:

Shardplate behaves very strangely for a metal at roughly standard temperature and pressure. It never dents or tears, but it does crack and shatter. Normally metals do that only under extreme circumstances found in industrial settings. I don't know that comparing traditional armor puncturing techniques to what would be good for cracking Shardplate is particularly helpful.

Indeed. It does seem to get cracked sooner the more energy is delivered into it per an area. This would increase the ammount of energy delivered to any certain location it is brought onto with force. 

Here is a two minute sketch of  how I imagine Oathbringer to look:

P_20190118_204802.jpg

I wonder how a weapon designed to rip off pieces would fair comparable to one designed to puncture. (Ie. using the oathbringer hook to rip off a spaulder/pauldron for instance. ) In a fight between Shardplate wearers ripping off a section might wind up in a faster kill as its a single powerful move that opens a section as opposed to two-three hits on a section for the same result. 

1 minute ago, Dalakaar said:

I wonder how a weapon designed to rip off pieces would fair comparable to one designed to puncture. (Ie. using the oathbringer hook to rip off a spaulder/pauldron for instance. ) In a fight between Shardplate wearers ripping off a section might wind up in a faster kill as its a single powerful move that opens a section as opposed to two-three hits on a section for the same result. 

Wouldn't work, probably. I get the feeling someone would have tried it (and they probably have, and failed). Plate probably seals itself much like the helm's viewpiece does, in the same process as that and the same process that allows it to conform to the current user each time.

1 minute ago, Dalakaar said:

Isn't the armor held together magically? I was thinking that perhaps having the force multiplyer of a swinging six foot long sword behind the stab of the hook  being much more powerful than a normal thrust it would take quite a few less strikes to destroy a section.

Just now, Invocation said:

Wouldn't work, probably. I get the feeling someone would have tried it (and they probably have, and failed). Plate probably seals itself much like the helm's viewpiece does, in the same process as that and the same process that allows it to conform to the current user each time.

Nope I disagree 110%. By that logic it should seal itself when it is damaged. It takes stormlight and time to regrow pieces as well. Removing a piece would constitute more damage. Removing it would also likely require more concentrated power though. But that’s the point in a fight like that. 

Just now, Dalakaar said:

Nope I disagree 110%. By that logic it should seal itself when it is damaged. It takes stormlight and time to regrow pieces as well. Removing a piece would constitute more damage. Removing it would also likely require more concentrated power though. But that’s the point in a fight like that. 

Sometimes, the damage does seal itself over, even when not completely healed. From the Coppermind entry on Shardplate:

While enough leaks will deplete the gemstones and cause the armor to lock up, individual leaks, even large ones, will eventually "seal over" on their own, preventing further loss of Stormlight, even if the damage hasn't fully healed yet.[15]

1 minute ago, ElendVenture said:

Isn't the armor held together magically? I was thinking that perhaps having the force multiplyer of a swinging six foot long sword behind the stab of the hook  being much more powerful than a normal thrust it would take quite a few less strikes to destroy a section.

Removing a section with the hook would not be done with a thrust. 

2 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Sometimes, the damage does seal itself over, even when not completely healed. From the Coppermind entry on Shardplate:

Interesting but the speed of the resealing is the linchpin in proposed tactic. If it takes even 30 seconds ( and I’m guessing it takes longer) then the opening you create by removing a section is where you go for the wound that will win the fight. I haven’t seen that bit about plate though. 

Just now, Dalakaar said:

Interesting but the speed of the resealing is the linchpin in proposed tactic. If it takes even 30 seconds ( and I’m guessing it takes longer) then the opening you create by removing a section is where you go for the wound that will win the fight. I haven’t seen that bit about plate though. 

Dead Plate would probably take longer than 30 seconds to regenerate, but living Plate might straight up defeat your idea, leaving the ones you'd most want to kill like that completely immune to it.

Still, capping anyone with Shardplate is a good thing, and I'll admit your strategy has merit if you can get it working right.

Just now, Dalakaar said:

Removing a section with the hook would not be done with a thrust. 

It seems that there was a misunderstanding. I addressed the first topic, ripping the plates clean off the storming armor with a hook by saying: "isn't the armor [that being armor sections] together with magic?". That means that the sections can not be seperated without lots of force. Shard plate is broken by very powerful trauma or very sharp blades. Niether of these traits are held by a dude with nothing but a hook to pull on the armor with. Then I addressed the second topic. That was my idea of swinging the hook of the sword and impacting the armor plate with the point of the swordhook. Reread my original reply to you and you will see my idea.

Just now, Dalakaar said:

Has there been a WoB or any mention of how fast plate grows? That’s something I’m curious all on it’s own. 

Growing it too fast or too much at once results in cracked gemstones, and if two people have sections of the same Plate and are trying to grow from it, it's going to start growing with whichever gives the largest amount of Light the quickest which can cause delays. We haven't seen (off the top of my head) the cracks sealing over, because generally if someone's Plate is cracking, they're getting the crap beaten out of them so soundly they don't have a chance to seal back over, so we don't know how fast it really grows.

On Oathbringer's appearance, here's what the pendant of the sword looks like. For my part, I always imagined it to look similar to Tidus' iconic sword from Final Fantasy X, but with the hook on the other side of the blade. He's called that game his favorite RPG so I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't some influence there.

15 minutes ago, ElendVenture said:

It seems that there was a misunderstanding. I addressed the first topic, ripping the plates clean off the storming armor with a hook by saying: "isn't the armor [that being armor sections] together with magic?". That means that the sections can not be seperated without lots of force. Shard plate is broken by very powerful trauma or very sharp blades. Niether of these traits are held by a dude with nothing but a hook to pull on the armor with. 

I have no idea if the magic keeping it together is stronger than the magic keeping the plate from being damaged. I am guessing it isn’t. Even if it is or is close, the benefit of removing the piece outweighs the cost of the endeavour. I think you are overestimating the force acquired from just swinging something compared to the force Shardplate just inately has. The force behind the hook isn’t from the hook, nor from a swing, it’d be from the main-strength in the Shardplate the guy is wearing. I am specifically talking about a fight between Shardplate wearing contestants. 

7 minutes ago, Dalakaar said:

I have no idea if the magic keeping it together is stronger than the magic keeping the plate from being damaged. I am guessing it isn’t. Even if it is or is close, the benefit of removing the piece outweighs the cost of the endeavour. I think you are overestimating the force acquired from just swinging something compared to the force Shardplate just inately has. The force behind the hook isn’t from the hook, nor from a swing, it’d be from the main-strength in the Shardplate the guy is wearing. I am specifically talking about a fight between Shardplate wearing contestants.

I get the gyst of what you are saying. But if the force that holds a section of armor is actually just sealing the pieces together like it does on a helmet visor than the forces needed should be equal and it would be just as hard to pucture it as it would be to tear it off.

Edited by ElendVenture

26 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Growing it too fast or too much at once results in cracked gemstones, and if two people have sections of the same Plate and are trying to grow from it, it's going to start growing with whichever gives the largest amount of Light the quickest which can cause delays. We haven't seen (off the top of my head) the cracks sealing over, because generally if someone's Plate is cracking, they're getting the crap beaten out of them so soundly they don't have a chance to seal back over, so we don't know how fast it really grows.

Hmm. That bolded bit works in my favour. I just don’t see Shardplate growing like wolverines skin. We just don’t know enough to confirm any of this fun speculation sadly. 

5 minutes ago, ElendVenture said:

I get the gyst of what you are saying. But if the force that holds a section of armor is actually just sealing the pieces together like it does on a helmet visor than the forces needed should be equal and it would be just as hard to pucture it as it would be to tear it off.

That sort of plays into what I was saying. Between ripping an entire chunk of plate off and just puncturing it I’d take the section off. Removing a section in a single move would result in a faster opening but at the expense of skill and positioning. Essentially what I’m going for is a potential wound in two hits instead of three with a non-standard weapon and technique which could prove easier to pull off against most of the stances. 

9 minutes ago, Dalakaar said:

That sort of plays into what I was saying. Between ripping an entire chunk of plate off and just puncturing it I’d take the section off. Removing a section in a single move would result in a faster opening but at the expense of skill and positioning. Essentially what I’m going for is a potential wound in two hits instead of three with a non-standard weapon and technique which could prove easier to pull off against most of the stances. 

What you need is to Ewok vs ATST the person in Plate and you're good.

1 minute ago, Invocation said:

What you need is to Ewok vs ATST the person in Plate and you're good.

The below image is purely for scientific speculation and posterity. Don't laugh.

Spoiler

giphy.gif

I said don't laugh!

Just now, Dalakaar said:

The below image is purely for scientific speculation and posterity. Don't laugh.

Reveal hidden contents

giphy.gif

I said don't laugh!

I mean that's literally what I was talking about. You can't tell me that wouldn't be a two birds, one stone situation: break the plate, kill the guy.