New Shard idea

I just had a random wild theory hit my brain. What if there's an actual Shard of Intervention. Divine Intervention is an actual belief in some cultures. Maybe there's a Shard behind the Ghostbloods and other such groups. I'm also wondering if the Shard that is in Silverlight and seems connected to the 17th Shard is in some way something like a Shard of non-intervention. Would have to figure out a good name though. Thoughts?

I fell like Divine Intervention is something all Shards engage in, to some extent. Any time a Shard changes something in the Physical Realm could be considered a Divine Intervention, so I think the concept is far too broad to apply to just a single Shard. As for non-intervention, I'd say Autonomy has "prevent others from meddling with each other" covered as part of her Intent. 

On 1/10/2019 at 1:55 PM, Ookla of the Flame said:

Or maybe non-intervention is the one hiding in space.

It would probably be called Shard of Apathy

besides if a none-intervention is actually a thing it doesn't really apply to themselves(similar to why Ruin wouldn't kill himself) so he'll probably just intervene so that there won't be intervention.

Kinda hypocritical and ironic for the shard.

7 minutes ago, goody153 said:

besides if a none-intervention is actually a thing it doesn't really apply to themselves(similar to why Ruin wouldn't kill himself) so he'll probably just intervene so that there won't be intervention.

You mean Autonomy?...

It always seems like the good guys win every time. Shards can give divine intervention, but then where would Scadrial's intervention come from if Ruin had Preservation pinned down for the great majority of Hero of Ages. I thought of this a while back and it makes complete sense

• 3 months later...

Autonomy can hardly be called a shard of non-intervention. He/she/it/they probably interferes the most out of all the shards with the day to day lives of the humans whose worlds are affected by Autonomy’s investiture (with the exception of maybe endowment, although sheer number of planets affected should be taken into account). Just because they don’t like meddling in other Shards’ affairs (which very well might change if certain theories about the most recent events in Mistborn turn out to be true) does not mean Autonomy does not intervene.

13 hours ago, Kramerfarve said:

Autonomy can hardly be called a shard of non-intervention. He/she/it/they probably interferes the most out of all the shards with the day to day lives of the humans whose worlds are affected by Autonomy’s investiture (with the exception of maybe endowment, although sheer number of planets affected should be taken into account). Just because they don’t like meddling in other Shards’ affairs (which very well might change if certain theories about the most recent events in Mistborn turn out to be true) does not mean Autonomy does not intervene.

Autonomy is perfectly willing to interfere, they just don't want to be interfered WITH.

15 hours ago, Kramerfarve said:

Let me rephrase. I think that based off of just the word Autonomy for the Shard's intent, it seems like it easily could've been interpreted as a shard of non-intervention.

13 minutes ago, Kidpen said:

Let me rephrase. I think that based off of just the word Autonomy for the Shard's intent, it seems like it easily could've been interpreted as a shard of non-intervention.

Well, in some ways, I think it actually still is. The way the intents function though, makes that seem exceptionally confusing and misguided. It would just be the shard of non-intervention... For everyone else. Its interventions specifically meant to stop theirs.

Edit: and on that note, if the theory I linked about is correct, your Shard of Intervention, oh bearded one, would be Endowment. 

Edited by Calderis

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2019 at 9:48 AM, Calderis said:

Well, in some ways, I think it actually still is. The way the intents function though, makes that seem exceptionally confusing and misguided. It would just be the shard of non-intervention... For everyone else. Its interventions specifically meant to stop theirs.

Edit: and on that note, if the theory I linked about is correct, your Shard of Intervention, oh bearded one, would be Endowment. 

I would be okay with this. I like her sass.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually like the idea of a Shard of Intervention as such. Other Shards happen to intervene "at the last moment" but the Shard in itself would deliberately only be able to appear "in the nick of time."

Maybe this would even be the survival-Shard, trying to escape before someone tries to use their [Intervention's] power to try to fight Rayse or what.

On 5/21/2019 at 10:58 PM, The Invested Beard said:

I would be okay with this. I like her sass.

Endowment is a great shard. I am kind of hoping for a romantic comedy involving her and Hoid as part of Hoid's series.

• Chaos locked this topic