Truthwatcher Offensives

Watchcry

Posted this on Reddit earlier today:

I noticed a strong similarity between Glys and Ym's spren regarding how they prefer to remove hostile threats. 

When Nale approaches Ym after he ran away, Ym thinks he may be able to use his Stormlight to fend him off.  His spren says "light".  At first I thought she meant Stormlight, but then when you read Glys' solution to ending the Thunderclast, he also says "light" after which Renarin lights his hand like a green lantern torch and banishes the Thunderclast. 

"“So … Glys?” he asked. “What do I do?” "Light. You will make it go with light."

"Renarin raised his fist and summoned Stormlight. It glowed as a powerful beacon. And … The red molten eyes faded before that light, and the thing settled down with a last extinguishing sigh."

I'm pretty sure Ym's spren was also trying to imply to Ym that he could use light as an offensive weapon to fend off Nale, too.

Now we all know light can be manipulated into laser beams and stuff, but even so I think it was obviously something else specifically that Thunderclasts don't like.

Any thoughts?

Well light can't be exclusive to thunderclasts because Ym's spren wanted him to use it against Nale who as far as I know is not a thunderclast but.

Illumination surge is the power to manipulate waves, Shallan does a lot of visual wave manipulation and each order is meant to be able to manipulate each surge a little different compared to the other orders. Truthwatchers are meant to be more scholarly not academic (there is a difference), so maybe they can manipulate waves in a more scientific way. Such as manifesting and manipulating light rather than crafting a lie. This would explain why SHallan couldn't teach Renarin to use illumination because it is different. 

But one thing to remember is that Renarin's Illumination is inherently different from even other Truthwatchers, because of his corrupted spren. His 'Illumination' is future sight. Unless he can use the Truthwatcher version of Ilumination and the corrupting version?

Is it possible Renarin was instead using some variation of Progression? Like how Dalinar uses Spiritual Cohesion to learn languages, is it possible Renarin was using Spiritual Progresion to heal the spirit of the Thunderclast, effectively ridding it of the corrupt spren possessing it?

21 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

But one thing to remember is that Renarin's Illumination is inherently different from even other Truthwatchers, because of his corrupted spren. His 'Illumination' is future sight. Unless he can use the Truthwatcher version of Ilumination and the corrupting version?

Is it possible Renarin was instead using some variation of Progression? Like how Dalinar uses Spiritual Cohesion to learn languages, is it possible Renarin was using Spiritual Progresion to heal the spirit of the Thunderclast, effectively ridding it of the corrupt spren possessing it?

But again, what about Ym whose spren told him to do the same thing with the light. I'm not arguing too much on the surge types that could cause the light 

11 hours ago, ScavellTane said:

Altered the frequency between the Fused and the stone.

It seems like that should be a conscious effort to alter it so. But that's a great explanation! Definitely the coolest one I'd say. 

9 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

We aren't sure that illumination is future sight. For all we know he achieved those visions without stormlight. It very well could be his resonance. 

Edited by Watchcry
Additional thought

I'm convinced that Truthwatchers have a spiritual laser that lets them attack negative or harmful magic, so they can both burn away negative investiture while healing someone with that same laser. Cultivation isn't just growing something, but cutting off the dead limbs, removing parasites.

3 hours ago, Eris said:

But again, what about Ym whose spren told him to do the same thing with the light. I'm not arguing too much on the surge types that could cause the light 

If it was healing of some sort, it would work on Nale...:huh:

@Eris got it, but theorizing about another way of thing. But you are probably true...

Edited by NoiseSpren

1 minute ago, NoiseSpren said:

If it was healing of some sort, it would work on Nale...:huh:

Yes... but I don't think you can unheal someone. You injure them. I think I may have made a mistake in wording earlier but I still believe that the use of "light" goes with the definition of the illumination surge "The Surge of Illumination can be manipulated to create auditory and visual illusions." (coppermind)

I feel like I may not be making any sense but I hope I am

4 minutes ago, Dalakaar said:

When I clicked on this topic I was secretly hoping there’d be offensive Truthwatcher jokes inside. :( 

Lol, I would try and make one up for you but I'm bad at jokes :( 

2 minutes ago, Eris said:

Lol, I would try and make one up for you but I'm bad at jokes :( 

Me too but I’ll sleep on it and see if I come up with something in the morning. I’m terrible at off the cuff jokes. >.< 

On 1/4/2019 at 2:32 PM, Watchcry said:

It seems like that should be a conscious effort to alter it so. But that's a great explanation! Definitely the coolest one I'd say. 

We aren't sure that illumination is future sight. For all we know he achieved those visions without stormlight. It very well could be his resonance. 

If Renarins Illumination is Spiritual linked, I'd say he should be able to intuit the process.

For what it's worth, the spren could have both been meaning use "light" as a more generic "use Stormlight" rather than specifically meaning use the Surge of Illumination. 

That being said, I really think there is more to Illumination than we've seen so far.  We've seen Shallan do some odd things with her drawings, being able to Draw True people and events that she had no way of knowing (Shalash destroying a statue at one point, a few others), which would fit both with the Truthwatcher's supposed ability to See, and with the Lightweaver's historic role as providing "spiritual sustenance" to the Radaints.  I think it allows for a Physical manifestation in controlling waveforms, but also a Spiritual one, similar to how Dalinar can use Adhesion for both physical bonding (stickness) and Spiritual Connection.

27 minutes ago, Quantus said:

For what it's worth, the spren could have both been meaning use "light" as a more generic "use Stormlight" rather than specifically meaning use the Surge of Illumination. 

That being said, I really think there is more to Illumination than we've seen so far.  We've seen Shallan do some odd things with her drawings, being able to Draw True people and events that she had no way of knowing (Shalash destroying a statue at one point, a few others), which would fit both with the Truthwatcher's supposed ability to See, and with the Lightweaver's historic role as providing "spiritual sustenance" to the Radaints.  I think it allows for a Physical manifestation in controlling waveforms, but also a Spiritual one, similar to how Dalinar can use Adhesion for both physical bonding (stickness) and Spiritual Connection.

I forgot about Shallan being able to draw things that she can’t physically see at the moment. Similar to her trying to draw building affected my the Unmade and other events. She was also able to draw the spooky spren in mirrors even though she technically couldn’t see them. So maybe this connects to Renarins future sight thing but manifests I’m visions rather than drawings?

• Chaos locked this topic