Lord Mistborn?

Arith Matic

I was reading the era 2 Mistborn books and I was surprised that Marsh was alive.  Did harmony make him Immortal, or at least immune to aging?  And then I thought about the Lord Mistborn, and how it says that his buttons from his favorite smoking jacket were auctioned off in one of the broadsheets.  Coppermind says he governed for 100 years before stepping down.  Is he also immortal or immune to aging, or does he have a prolonged life?

Considering that Coppermind states era 2 is set about 300 years after era 1, I would guess immortality is more likely, but that seems like something that wouldn't happen. Perhaps they can compound like the Lord Ruler did?

Edit: Perhaps Harmony gave them the ability to compound to help him run the civilization in the beginning

Edited by Saodar
Added a new thought

Marsh is alive due to the same "trick" that the Lord Ruler used: atium compounding.  It's functional, if not technical, immortality (he'll run out of atium eventually).  

Regarding Spook, I don't think we have confirmation of how he lived so long.  I think that Hemalurgy is the most likely answer, followed by Harmony.  

19 hours ago, Scion of the Mists said:

Marsh is alive due to the same "trick" that the Lord Ruler used: atium compounding.  It's functional, if not technical, immortality (he'll run out of atium eventually).  

I thought there was no atium left after Harmony took up Ruin's power and all that jazz. They call it the lost metal in Era 2, and I seem to remember a mention of it being gone in Era 1 at the end. If I'm right, that couldn't be how he's stayed alive so long.

1 hour ago, Mailnaise said:
21 hours ago, Scion of the Mists said:

Regarding Spook, I don't think we have confirmation of how he lived so long.  I think that Hemalurgy is the most likely answer, followed by Harmony.  

I thought there was no atium left after Harmony took up Ruin's power and all that jazz. They call it the lost metal in Era 2, and I seem to remember a mention of it being gone in Era 1 at the end. If I'm right, that couldn't be how he's stayed alive so long.

If you read the WoB that I linked, there's some leftover atium from Era 1.  However, he'll run out eventually, which is why it's not true immortality.  

8 minutes ago, Arith Matic said:

Well, maybe since Sazed is now harmony, he could produce atium, or maybe Marsh is using the atium from the kandra horde in the caves?

There's a small bag of atium that Marsh has been using. Sazed could probably make some atium if he wanted, but I don't know that he wants to. His natural god-metal is harmonium.

We saw the Pits in SoS, and they were empty of geodes and crystals.

As to Spook... 

He was already a Mistborn, and we know he was experimenting with Hemalurgy. While I don't think the atium thing is likely, as there were no more full Feruchemists to steal Atium Feruchemy from, he could have become a gold compounder. 

While that would extend his actual life span, it would keep him in prime health right up until the end. 

Don’t Inquisitors have unnaturally long lives due to them being Hemalurgic constructs? My understanding was that the Inquisitors did not have any Compounded metallic abilities until after Rashek’s death, but that they still lived for a very long time. I’ll have to reread the Inquisitor PoV from FE again.

Edit: I found it. Marsh tells Kelsier that they’re extremely long lived in chapter 27.

Edited by SwordNimiForPresident

4 hours ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

Don’t Inquisitors have unnaturally long lives due to them being Hemalurgic constructs? My understanding was that the Inquisitors did not have any Compounded metallic abilities until after Rashek’s death, but that they still lived for a very long time. I’ll have to reread the Inquisitor PoV from FE again.

Edit: I found it. Marsh tells Kelsier that they’re extremely long lived in chapter 27.

That would make a certain amount of sense in light of the fact that Inquisitors are typically the only one of the hemalurgical constructs that are so frayed they require a central spike just to hold them together.  At that point they might be drifting in the general direction of other Cosmere constructs like the Returned that are basically souls staple;ed back onto the body.  They wouldnt necessarily get the innate immortality that the heightening and/or divine Breath offer, but there existence is more directly a result of active Investiture effects, and skewing their lifespan wouldnt be an unreasonable side effect to my mind.  

22 hours ago, Arith Matic said:

Well, maybe since Sazed is now harmony, he could produce atium, or maybe Marsh is using the atium from the kandra horde in the caves?

Again, if you read the WoB that I linked, it tells you exactly where the atium comes from.  It's the bag that KanPaar sent to be sold.  Brandon also confirms that it's "the only remaining atium in the world."  The atium from the kandra horde was burned off during the final battle in Hero of Ages.  

Sazed has no plans to make any more.  

• Chaos locked this topic