Saodar

Other potential uses for Aon Sheo.  Preventing living beings for accessing certain areas(only the dead may enter).  Good way to keep bugs out of food although you also have to invest in some kind of tongs.

7 hours ago, Pathfinder said:

There is no tissue on a skeletal, unless you classify bone as tissue. Just because Shai focuses on transformation does not dispute anything I have said. I have a WoB below in response to another point you made.

Bone is tissue, that's not my call to make. https://www.bones.nih.gov/health-info/bone/bone-health/what-is-bone

7 hours ago, Pathfinder said:

Great, so can you explain to me what that has to do with my point regarding aon sheo?

Nothing at all. My first comment to you was an answer to a question. As I have said many times, Aons can probably do almost anything. I don't think that Aon Sheo would be the right one for animating corpses though. If anything, I would guess that Aon Eto is what you would use.

16 hours ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

Bone is tissue, that's not my call to make. https://www.bones.nih.gov/health-info/bone/bone-health/what-is-bone

Ok, so semantics established. Can we now move on?

Nothing at all. My first comment to you was an answer to a question. As I have said many times, Aons can probably do almost anything. I don't think that Aon Sheo would be the right one for animating corpses though. If anything, I would guess that Aon Eto is what you would use.

Great, so can we now move on to the point of the thread?

I see where you are coming from thinking Aon Eto would animate corpses because it is flesh, but personally I think it may be used to create food. I mean hell Ien means wisdom yet that is used to heal. Wouldn't flesh make more sense for healing since you are knitting/creating new flesh? Shao means transformation, it would make more sense for that to transform things into other things, yet it is used for illusions. So personally, I think death could do a form of necromancy. But since we have absolutely no information, all ideas are equal at the end of the day.

Edited by Pathfinder

6 hours ago, Pathfinder said:

Ok, so semantics established. Can we now move on?

It seems that your default response to being correcting is to complain about semantics. Additionally, your tone has continually gotten more and more hostile throughout our interactions here. If you don't like engaging with me, stop quoting me in posts and directing questions at me. I would be more than happy to not continue this conversation.

1 hour ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

It seems that your default response to being correcting is to complain about semantics. Additionally, your tone has continually gotten more and more hostile throughout our interactions here. If you don't like engaging with me, stop quoting me in posts and directing questions at me. I would be more than happy to not continue this conversation.

Both me and Pathfinder are well known on the shard for being aggressive (check out Jasnah v Kaladin page)but we are not hostile(at least intentionally).  Please don't escalate this. 

As to the argument itself I think you could use either Aon provided you have the right intent and modifiers just like you can explain zombies to someone either by talking about flesh or death.

I'd like to apologise for starting the tangent that derailed this thread.

It's worth noting that Aon Shao creating illusions happens when it's used with extensive modification, to the extent that the base Aon is no longer visible. If Aon Sheo can do something like reanimation then I imagine it would be a similar thing, within the domain of the Aon but not the base effect.

18 hours ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

edit: I decided to edit my response for better cohesion

1. I do not agree with you regarding forging

2. what we disagree with regarding forging I feel has no bearing on what I was discussing regarding aon sheo

3. as it has no bearing to me on my point regarding aon sheo, I see no reason to debate it

4. so yes I am ending the conversation

10 hours ago, Agent34 said:

I'd like to apologise for starting the tangent that derailed this thread.

It's worth noting that Aon Shao creating illusions happens when it's used with extensive modification, to the extent that the base Aon is no longer visible. If Aon Sheo can do something like reanimation then I imagine it would be a similar thing, within the domain of the Aon but not the base effect.

No problem, it happens. Hopefully the tangent is now over and we can all continue on the original point of the thread. Thank you.

That's a good point. Could be that sheo does all of the above, but it just depends on what modifier you use. Death is a pretty open ended concept in a lot of ways. 

Edited by Pathfinder

• 3 months later...
On 6/19/2019 at 2:12 AM, Karger said:

They both use symbols to access the Dor but the base symbols are different hence differnet magic systems.  This is why the coppermind has separate articles.

Do they have to? Does Forgery use MaiPon as a symbol because it happened to be developed there or is there an internal connection? That is could you forge with Aons while in Arelon and consequently develop a MaiPonDor working best in MaiPon as an Elantrian?

3 hours ago, Karger said:

You must be of MaiPon descent to forge.

Yes, but it's entirely possible that a forger who learned Aons could forge in Arelon. 

Viper (paraphrased)

Aons look like Arelon; soulstamps look like MaiPon. Aons get weaker when you get further from Arelon, right? That's not just cause Elantris acts like a focus?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

That's right, it's based on distance. That's why there are no stamped objects in Elantris.

Viper (paraphrased)

So do soulstamps get weaker further from MaiPon? If you left Sel via Shadesmar and went to another planet, would the soulstamp stop working?

That's correct.

Viper (paraphrased)

Could soulstamps be carved that used Arelon as a base form instead of MaiPon?

That's very interesting, isn't it?

A Memory of Light Milford Signing (Feb. 16, 2013)

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2018 at 7:35 PM, Saodar said:

Since we already have Aon Daa for use as an offensive weapon, what would Aon Sheo (death) do? We never see it used, would it function sort of like the killing curse in Harry Potter?

Maybe it could be something akin to death perception. As in, foresight of how or when a subject will (or is most likely to) die

Or detect cause of death of an already deceased body

Edited by Honorless
more ideas