There be...dragons?

Silva

There's no way I'm the first to see this and start a topic on it, but since there are no others about this floating on the first page...

The inside art in WoK:

Spoiler

Image result for stormlight archive symbols art

Behind all the crest/symbol things, those do resemble dragons in the background, right? I'm not making things up? 

And if they are dragons, why there?

To me, they look more like crabs. The parts on the back appear to be the shell, and the animal does have six legs.

Anyway, it’s probably either a chasmfiend or an axehound, judging by the huge mouths and tails. No... it’s a Larkin.

Edited by Ookla the Meme-Thief

But look at where the supposed 'shells' are. They each look like they're split into two sections, which look a lot like wings. Plus, if it was a shell why would it have such a label overhang over the head? So assuming their wings, it looks more like a winged axehound than anything else.

They're Larkin. 

Questioner

[...] For the picture of all the Radiants and their surges, in the background there’s two dragons. Are those just--

Brandon Sanderson

Those are not dragons. Those are little beasties from the world. You’ve seen them before.

Argent

Larkin?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah. But you can call them "dragon bugs" if you want, that’s what Isaac called them when I described them.

Questioner

So are they just from the world, or do they have any over-reaching signif--

Brandon Sanderson

Well they have a certain ability that you may have seen in-world, which is pretty distinctive and different, and so they have a lot of mythological import. They are not widely known by most cultures right now.

source

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Dalakaar said:

This picture has what you're looking for OP.

5bfc9dd4ec52df3eb21f85bbaa83dbe1.jpg

Looking at this drawing closely for maybe the first time, do you also notice the black/Grey symbol writing in the sea next to each country? Can anyone recognize what this is?

On 22/01/2019 at 2:50 PM, Sandra said:

Looking at this drawing closely for maybe the first time, do you also notice the black/Grey symbol writing in the sea next to each country? Can anyone recognize what this is?

Found this thread and going through it myself, you might like it. 

Edited by insert_anagram_here
typo

On 1/22/2019 at 7:50 AM, Sandra said:

TLDR for the thread Insert_Anagram_Here linked:

We're pretty certain that it's the names of the Silver Kingdoms (which are represented on the map). The script appears to be something between "Dawnscript" and women's script.

• 1 year later...
On 24.1.2019 at 5:15 PM, Jofwu said:

TLDR for the thread Insert_Anagram_Here linked:

We're pretty certain that it's the names of the Silver Kingdoms (which are represented on the map). The script appears to be something between "Dawnscript" and women's script.

Nice, thanks ^_^

• Chaos locked this topic