Let it Go

STEELHE4RT

@Awesomeness, to be fair, to Elsa, Elsa's problems are massive. Its *all* a matter of perspective :).

Not sure I'd go so far as to call them massive. Her only real problem was bad parenting. As soon as she realized everything her parents had taught her about her powers was the exact opposite of what she should have been doing, everything was right as rain... err... snow. If they had included the whole idea about "The Prophecy" as they originally intended, it would have gone a long way to explain her parents actions and why the rest of the kingdom freaked out about her powers but that was mostly cutout so as it stands, yup just bad parenting.

Though, I guess when you think about it, Szeth's only real problem was that he accepted the Stone Shaman's declaration that he was truthless... So yeah, it's all perspective :P

A funny side note I thought of while typing this. Elsa gives her inspirational song about not hiding who she is only to immediately proceed to lock herself away from the world in another castle :) this story really could have used Mario.

Or maybe it is just that those who love Steelheart particularly out of Brandon's works are somehow drawn to Frozen. Perhaps Elsa is an Epic. That would explain a lot, actually.

I love the picture though. No one's problems are worst than Szeth's. Life just sucks for him. Actually, it kind of does for everyone in the Stormlight Archive.

I love the picture though. No one's problems are worst than Szeth's. Life just sucks for him. Actually, it kind of does for everyone in the Stormlight Archive.

Are you saying Szeths last name is Stark?

Not sure I'd go so far as to call them massive. Her only real problem was bad parenting. As soon as she realized everything her parents had taught her about her powers was the exact opposite of what she should have been doing, everything was right as rain... err... snow. If they had included the whole idea about "The Prophecy" as they originally intended, it would have gone a long way to explain her parents actions and why the rest of the kingdom freaked out about her powers but that was mostly cutout so as it stands, yup just bad parenting.

Though, I guess when you think about it, Szeth's only real problem was that he accepted the Stone Shaman's declaration that he was truthless... So yeah, it's all perspective :P

A funny side note I thought of while typing this. Elsa gives her inspirational song about not hiding who she is only to immediately proceed to lock herself away from the world in another castle :) this story really could have used Mario.

I just want to suggest that you are seriously downplaying her problems. Bad parenting kind of caused them but mental problems of that nature are a lot more serious than that. Realistically she would still be struggling with the effects of that for many many years. Probably her whole life, at least to some degree. I'm speaking from experience here, that kind of thing doesn't fix fast, it takes years. :/

Also, just fyi, from how you are referring to "let it go" I get the feeling that you are unaware of the subtext of the song. It isn't just a inspirational release song. It also has very strong themes of loneliness, fear etc throughout the song. Just take a read of this analysis. The song is actually far better than it seems the first time you hear it. :) And it was pretty dang good to begin with :P

Edited by lord Claincy Ffnord

But then massive plot twist... it was a different steelheart! I wonder if they are related.

I take it there is another Steelheart about? I was pleasantly surprised the username was available haha.

To sum up the Starks in SoIaF:

Jee, steelheart, you've only got 1 post, but 13 upvotes already.

I tweeted it to Sanderson, his two assistants, and Tor. I realized if none of them retweet it, the exposure it would get was minimal. So I brought it here. xD Isaac Stewart favorited it though! Made me happy.

Eh...

I dunno. Yeah, the people of Arandell weren't expecting a a Winter, but the whole thing last a week, at the outside most. And they aren't unfamiliar with cold conditions. The ice diggers at the beginning clearly have a steady job, the atmosphere is cold enough that there's an official capacity for someone to act as Ice Master, and the sales hut adapted quickly.

I'm sure there were some deaths, but I don't think the effects lasted long enough for Elsa to work up a seizable body count.

Eh...

I dunno. Yeah, the people of Arandell weren't expecting a a Winter, but the whole thing last a week, at the outside most. And they aren't unfamiliar with cold conditions. The ice diggers at the beginning clearly have a steady job, the atmosphere is cold enough that there's an official capacity for someone to act as Ice Master, and the sales hut adapted quickly.

I'm sure there were some deaths, but I don't think the effects lasted long enough for Elsa to work up a seizable body count.

I suppose it depends on a lot of unknown variables.

If it were to ruin most of the crops in the kingdom it could lead to a massive famine, potentially killing thousands. But it could also do close to no harm in a good scenario.

Wearing all white, the assassin tonight

I must be sure that I'm seen

The king of Alethkar must die

And he will, by me

The storm is swirling as the light is brought inside.

Couldn't keep it in, my Honor won't try.

As I come in, I'll let them see.

Be the truthless I'll always have to be.

Reveal, don't feel, but let them know

And now they know!

Let it go, let it go

Can't hold it back anymore

Let them know, let them know

Full lash and slam the door.

Here I am, and you may try

But the storm rages on

Understand, you're gonna die.

I just want to suggest that you are seriously downplaying her problems. Bad parenting kind of caused them but mental problems of that nature are a lot more serious than that. Realistically she would still be struggling with the effects of that for many many years. Probably her whole life, at least to some degree. I'm speaking from experience here, that kind of thing doesn't fix fast, it takes years. :/

Also, just fyi, from how you are referring to "let it go" I get the feeling that you are unaware of the subtext of the song. It isn't just a inspirational release song. It also has very strong themes of loneliness, fear etc throughout the song. Just take a read of this analysis. The song is actually far better than it seems the first time you hear it. :) And it was pretty dang good to begin with :P

That was... A really cool article... I just shared it on Facebook! Thanks!

I would say that most problems need to be scaled by how easily the character thinks they could fix them.

By that standard, there problems are roughly equal.  They are equally deluded into thinking themselves helpless.

I think what is being argued is that subjectively their problems are equivalent. Elsa's problems to her are as bad as Szeth's struggles are to him personally. And I've pretty much always believed that about all of us.

But then there's the objective side, wherein I believe Szeth's problems (and the consequences they bare on society) are clearly worse. He was made to KILL, sometimes for the sake of killing. Most of his victims played crucial roles in global society, causing a dynamic, irreversible change in the world.

Not going out of my way to connect the Stormlight Archive to Frozen here... but the bookstore I used to work at had this on shelves:
post-10977-0-45366400-1400513014_thumb.j

Anyone else see Shallan more than Anna on the cover?

Edited by STEELHE4RT