Who's the most powerful being in the Cosmere?

Trell

Powerful has many meanings. You mean raw power? Or who would win in a fight? Usually, we could say ‘Adonalsium’ but he’s dead. God Beyond is eh, we don’t know anything about them.

And since Shard’s pretty much trump anyone else, it comes down to Odium and Harmony. Harmony because he currently got the most raw power in the cosmere, due to having two Shards, and Odium because - let’s face it - he’s really good at killing other god entities.

Here’s some WoBs:

Questioner

Is Harmony stronger than Odium?

Brandon Sanderson

Harmony has two shards. So by raw power he is stronger than Odium. Odium is much more warrior-minded and killing-minded, so I don't know if Harmony could actually beathim. But Odium is scared of Harmony.

source

Questioner

Does Odium actually present a real threat to Harmony, because he-- *interrupted*

Brandon Sanderson

So Harmony is vastly more powerful than Odium.

Questioner

Yeah. 

Brandon Sanderson

Elend was vastly more powerful than Vin. Who would win in a fight?

Questioner

Vin.

Brandon Sanderson

Okay, there's your answer.

source

So, Brandon doesn’t know if Harmony could actually beat Odium, despite having twice the raw power. This seems to imply that if you’re talking about most powerful as in who would beat who, Odium wins. If you’re talking about who’s got more power, Harmony will win. Keep in mind Odium is terrified of Harmony, though, and Harmony finds it hard to act with his two opposite Shards.

There’s also this little tidbit, however:

Rah179

Is there one shard besides Harmony that would give Odium a run for his money?

Brandon Sanderson

Possibly.

source

Which may imply someone more powerful. Though and of right now, it’s Odium or Harmony, depending on your definition of ‘most powerful’.

Edited by I think I am here.
Kwaaaaan

Hard to say. We don't know the full extent of the shard's abilities. I'd agree with I think I am Here, that Harmony and Odium are tied for most powerful, one having superior strength and the other having greater skill. But at the same time, Endowment's letter sounded pretty confident that Rayse could be dealt with. That might have just been bravado, but it might not have been, we just don't know enough about the shards to be sure.

As for the most powerful non-shardic entity, that belongs to Hoid. I don't know if it was recorded or not, but I once asked Brandon during a live stream he did what the most powerful non-shardic entity was and that was his answer, without hesitation. 

18 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

God Beyond is eh, we don’t know anything about them.

Actually, we know quite a bit about him. He’s American, born December 19, 1975, brought up as a practicing Mormon, and is best known for the creation of the universe known as the Cosmere. 

In all seriousness, I’ve always thought it was pretty obvious that the so-called ‘God Beyond’ was Brandon. lol.

Order of most powerful to least powerful:

Harmony

Odium, Cultivation, all the other living shards.

Hoid.

Dragons

Ascended beings like Rashek and Dalinar 

Kelsier and the Heralds

Unmade

Super spren like the Stormfather

Returned/upper level Awakeners

Mistborn and Full Feruchemist and Elantrians

Knights Radiant and Compounders

Hemalurgic constructs like Inquisitors

Other Twinborn

Sandmasters

Mistings and Ferrings

Kandra

Lower level Awakeners

Other Selish magic users

Soulcasters

Shades/Aviars

22 minutes ago, Gasper said:

Order of most powerful to least powerful:

Harmony

Odium, Cultivation, all the other living shards.

Hoid.

Dragons

Ascended beings like Rashek and Dalinar 

Kelsier and the Heralds

Unmade

Super spren like the Stormfather

Returned/upper level Awakeners

Mistborn and Full Feruchemist and Elantrians

Knights Radiant and Compounders

Hemalurgic constructs like Inquisitors

Other Twinborn

Sandmasters

Mistings and Ferrings

Kandra

Lower level Awakeners

Other Selish magic users

Soulcasters

Shades/Aviars

The Ones Above probably belong somewhere on that list as well, even if their ‘power’ is mostly technologically-based rather than magic-based.  

Hoid is generally kinda an unknown, at least in my book.

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

I have one about Hoid. I want to know, in Mistborn, in Arcanum Unbounded, we find out some really important things about him. But we find out, Hoid is an incredibly powerful person.

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Yes.

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Like, probably one of the most powerful people in the Cosmere.

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

He once was, and no longer is. So, I can't talk a lot about Hoid, but I'll give you a little bit of where he came from. Where he came from in my brain.

source

Brandon's also suggested by bonding the cryptic in OB that Hoid had regained/obtained full access to Lightweaving, which apparently he was using, but with limited use.  

There's also the issue of which is more powerful, strength/magic or knowledge?

2 hours ago, goody153 said:

Depends on what metric if it's just about quantitative investiture then Harmony no contest.

If it was about range of influence probably Autonomy 

If powerful by combat ability then Odium.

I was thinking on shear amount of available investure. 

4 hours ago, Fanghur Rahl said:

The Ones Above probably belong somewhere on that list as well, even if their ‘power’ is mostly technologically-based rather than magic-based.  

True, but we have not yet seen the ones above, only a few devices and mentions. Thus I cannot quantify how powerful they are and did not add them to the list.

Yeah, he said that Nightblood is the most invested non-shard being. So shards, I agree with Harmony/Odium/Autonomy, but out of shards, Nightblood/Hoid, with Nightblood replacing Harmony, Hoid replacing Autonomy, and one of them replacing Odium (an argument could be made for either).

22 minutes ago, Badadah said:

Yeah, he said that Nightblood is the most invested non-shard being. So shards, I agree with Harmony/Odium/Autonomy, but out of shards, Nightblood/Hoid, with Nightblood replacing Harmony, Hoid replacing Autonomy, and one of them replacing Odium (an argument could be made for either).

An Elantrian holding Nightblood within Elantris. Talk about being overpowered. lol. That would be absolutely terrifying.

3 minutes ago, Badadah said:

Wait. Would that mean Nightblood wouldn't run out of fuel?

Pretty much, since they’re always connected to the Dor. As long as they didn’t leave Elantris, I don’t see how they could ever run out. Or at least practically, since the Dor is basically two Shards worth of raw Investiture.

2 minutes ago, Badadah said:

Actually, Nightblood would eventually be destroyed, as it can't destroy a shard, and that is two shards, so... yes, it would be a superweapon in the meantime though!

How would it be destroyed? It would just keep endlessly recycling the Dor to power itself. I don’t know if it’s possible in principle for Nightblood to ‘eat’ the entire Dor, but I doubt it.

Don't know about destroyed. Be he does have an upper limit in which he becomes "sated" and kind of goes to sleep. 

I've never seen anything implying a way to destroy Nightblood at all.

Regardless, an Elantris with Nightblood would not have an easy time of things. 

Just another guyn

If an Elantrian were to get a hold of Nightblood and draw it, how would Nightblood react to that-- What kind of power would be unleashed?

Brandon Sanderson

So Nightblood needs kinetic Investiture to feed upon. The Elantrian would have to be able to get a conduit to the Dor to feed Nightblood or Nightblood would just eat their soul.

Just another guyn

So if they used AonDor to fuel Nightblood--

Brandon Sanderson

There are some types of AonDor that would work, and there are others that would not.

Just another guyn

And would Nightblood just keep going until either the Aon was--

Brandon Sanderson

He would dissolve the Aon as he drew the power from it.

Just another guyn

So it wouldn't just empty the Dor?

Brandon Sanderson

No, it would not empty the Dor.

source

Now, an Elantrin might be able to find a combinations of Aons that release enough kinetic investiture at a quick enough rate to prevent the Aons from collapsing, but considering how quickly Nightblood eats, it would not be an easy task.

7 hours ago, Calderis said:

Don't know about destroyed. Be he does have an upper limit in which he becomes "sated" and kind of goes to sleep. 

I've never seen anything implying a way to destroy Nightblood at all.

Regardless, an Elantris with Nightblood would not have an easy time of things. 

Wait, why would Aons even be necessary? Aren’t Elantrians constantly channeling the Dor through their bodies, hence their enhanced strength, healing factor, immortality and glowing skin? Why wouldn’t Nightblood simply be drawing directly on the Dor through the Elantrian? 

3 hours ago, Fanghur Rahl said:

Wait, why would Aons even be necessary? Aren’t Elantrians constantly channeling the Dor through their bodies, hence their enhanced strength, healing factor, immortality and glowing skin? Why wouldn’t Nightblood simply be drawing directly on the Dor through the Elantrian? 

I didn't think about it that way yet, but I have to admit, that it should be like you say, and they always draw from the Dor.

However, it's said that Nightblood keeps consuming more and more (the "Investiture consumed per minute" increases over time).

So, probably the natural "Elantrian-Investiture" without Aons would hold for a short time, but Nightblood would quickly draw to much Investiture

4 hours ago, Fanghur Rahl said:

I think you're overestimating all of those things. The only amazing feats we've ever seen from an Elantrian that I'm aware of happened during the process of transformation itself. 

The amount that sustains them should be a trickle.