We are the 17th Shard

Silva

I'm kidding, but we must be Brandon Sanderson's favorite joke.

Reasoning:

The 17th Shard is searching for Hoid.

-We are constantly searching for Hoid in all the books.

The 17th Shard is not happy with Hoid.

-We are not happy with Hoid. We want to know what he's doing.

The 17th Shard's name is 17th Shard.

-This website is called 17th Shard.

And probably more similarities exist.

The resemblances are uncanny. Only issue: if we were the 17th Shard then we would be in the Cosmere and so to not have access to the internet. 

Edited by Silva

There is a story behind the name in case your wondering.  It's a good one too.  Let's see if I can remember how it was told to me. (apologizes if I step on anyones toes, this is just for some fun :P )

(ahem)
Way back in the mists of time a website was founded by Mi'chelle Walker, also known as  @firstRainbowRose called Hoid's Compendium.  It was a place where those that had heard of the mysterious Hoid could gather and share what they had learned of the stranger.  Then one day the skies parted and this site was blessed with the presence of Brandon himself.  He gazed upon what lay before him and was greatly pleased.  He blessed the founder(s) and gave (suggested) a new name, the 17th Shard.  And as it was written, so it became.

Or if you want the official (boring) version, look below: (taken from the About page)

History

Our site began originally as Hoid's Compendium, created by Mi'chelle Walker. She lives in Utah, and actually had taken Brandon's Writing Science Fiction and Fantasy class at Brigham Young University. When Brandon learned of this fansite, he recommended that instead of naming it after Hoid (a character who is present in all of his adult epic fantasies), naming it after the Seventeenth Shard, an organization of world hoppers with members from all of the cosmere planets. With Brandon's blessing, we became the official fansite for all of his works.

With Mi'chelle's husband, Josh, and her friend Eric from Brandon’s forums on Timewaster’s Guide(which exists now as an archive on our site), work began on 17thshard.com. Eric asked Will, another member on Timewaster’s Guide’s writing group, to help with graphics. Eric's co-administrator on the Mistborn RPG, Kerry, also joined our team. The site opened its doors in a rocky state in the summer of 2010, and the Mistborn RPG was quickly folded into 17th Shard. In February 2011, we upgraded our software, and made the site about fifty times better (just ask about our initial main page--it was bad). Over time, the site has exploded in popularity, far beyond what we would have ever expected considering our humble beginnings!

5 hours ago, Silva said:

The resemblances are uncanny. Only issue: if we were the 17th Shard then we would be in the Cosmere and so to not have access to the internet. 

We don't know what 4th Era Scadrial tech is, maybe it's all about moving electrons through complicated silicon based switches...

2 hours ago, Alvron said:

He blessed the founder(s) and gave (suggested) a new name, the 17th Shard.  And as it was written, so it became.

And there was much rejoicing.

Edited by hoiditthroughthegrapevine

A thousand years ago, the Internet tried to unravel the mysteries of the largest fantasy series in the world.

They failed.

EDIT:

On 2nd thought, we're Adonalsium. He was Shard-like but not one of the 16, so he was the 17th. And our minds Shatter and Splinter while we try to become Slivers of Brandon.

Edited by Ripheus23

6 minutes ago, Draginon said:

It'd be funny if Brandon did Cosmere versions of our names for the in-universe group when they do show up. It'd be funnier if they were all about bickering over the smallest detail going on in the worlds

That would crack me up. I want to see a slice of life on Silverlight and have a bunch of the researchers there discussing stuff in various groups. Or have a meeting of the different research teams assigned to each world.

3 hours ago, Draginon said:

It'd be funny if Brandon did Cosmere versions of our names for the in-universe group when they do show up. It'd be funnier if they were all about bickering over the smallest detail going on in the worlds

He should just write a non-canon (or even canon!) short story of totally-not-us arguing for all our weird theories.

(hey, my name is already straight up fantasy-proof; that's what I made it for)

19 hours ago, Leyrann said:

He should just write a non-canon (or even canon!) short story of totally-not-us arguing for all our weird theories.

(hey, my name is already straight up fantasy-proof; that's what I made it for)

It would definitely be an interesting read. But if it was a choice of him spending time writing that or Cosmere, the answer is pretty obvious.

On 10/12/2018 at 11:27 PM, Draginon said:

A group of scholars at Silverlight would then get shown to engage in fanfic as well as research, to the puzzlement of others

"Say, what's this other notebook you've got here... (browses) Gaz became a Windrunner?! Whaaa-?"

"*GIVE ME THAT*"

21 hours ago, Silva said:

It would definitely be an interesting read. But if it was a choice of him spending time writing that or Cosmere, the answer is pretty obvious.

But if it's Silverlight wouldn't that automatically make it Cosmere?

8 hours ago, robardin said:

A group of scholars at Silverlight would then get shown to engage in fanfic as well as research, to the puzzlement of others

"Say, what's this other notebook you've got here... (browses) Gaz became a Windrunner?! Whaaa-?"

"*GIVE ME THAT*"

And it would be even sillier if some threw out the historical documents thinking they're fake and thought the false documents (fanfics) were the real ones. Heck the 17th Sharders representing us could just be a bunch of crackpots according to the rest of the 17th Shard members.

9 minutes ago, Silva said:

That would go back to the question of: is it canon?

If it's in the Stormlight story he plans on writing it would be 100% canon. Heck it doesn't have to be a scene unto itself, just Khriss mentioning the crackpot professors or passing through the university and hearing a conversation from the weirdo professors talking about the worlds that she knows is false.

On 10/12/2018 at 8:27 PM, Draginon said:

If we could get him to do this, I would be incredibly happy. But how would it work? People who have usernames that are actual names are obvious (ex. Silva=Silva), but what about people like me? For me, you could just remove the numbers, Ark is an okay name for a fantasy world. But say, Robardin. What do you do there? Or the names that directly reference out of the cosmere books (eg. Queen Elsa Steelheart, Ethan Sedai)? It would be fun to see how he would do it.

2 minutes ago, Ark1002 said:

But say, Robardin. What do you do there? Or the names that directly reference out of the cosmere books (eg. Queen Elsa Steelheart, Ethan Sedai)?

The names straight out of books would be a problem, but the others could be adjusted. Remove or add a letter or two to create some more simetrical. For a few, with some research, you could find out their ___ of the ___ names, though they'd be unrecognisable. Or even split some in pieces like (I'm too lazy to look up anyone else so...) Robar son Din. There are all sorts of possibilities.