Knives in the Dark

Le Sigh

In every alley, there is darkness. In the darkness, there are knives. One ought to be careful travelling through the alleys, for the things they encounter may be frightening.

As is this.

Some of the various guilds of Alleycity have taken note of some strange being that travels through the city like a ghost from Threnody. There are not many survivors, but the few sane ones describe how this person would seem calm for a moment and flying into a bloodthirsty rage in the next. Reports have spoken of this person having long strawberry blonde hair, and carrying a weapon that appears like a gun from Modern Scadrial but has the abilities of a Shardblade - as most of the victims have the tell-tale burned-out eyes that are the marks of Shardbearers. A few victims have described... strange things happening around the person - most of which are incomprehensible.

The various guilds - whether they be the Keepers, Canton of Combat or others - have hired various seekers, bounty hunters and warriors to track down this person before any more deaths of their members - or others - happen, at all costs.

Edited by Archer

On 9/26/2018 at 4:05 PM, Archer said:

What's your vision for this thread?

Well, it's sort of character development, but it involves other people and the dev part is mostly just her being a sometimes villain who fights against the characters. Also it's more of an adventure, so I made it an RP.

Edited by Archer
I put the out-of-character discussion in a different colour.

21 hours ago, Le Sigh said:

Well, it's sort of character development, but it involves other people and the dev part is mostly just her being a sometimes villain who fights against the characters. Also it's more of an adventure, so I made it an RP.

You can do that in other threads too, doing character development in locations. It's what I've been doing with my characters. You can make threads yourself, but the way this thread is set up, I don't really know how we can work with this,

I'd suggest, since the way you're describing this is that your character's a mostly know killer, make this a hideout of some kind to just make this thread a location where people can come in and try to collect that bounty, trying to find the killer. For that, you'd also need to change the title of the thread to better describe what location this is.

Though I'd suggest more just RPing in other places with this character, makes them more proactive instead of reactive. You can go into a thread, ask for a summary of events that have happened there, and decide whether or not you'd wanna join in after someone provides the summary, but to save you a bit of time, here are some summaries of events in certain places that I know of:

*An eye for an eye - mostly character centric on a certain character's backstory (Damaya, played by Sorana) It's a large house where they currently are. Nothing much has happened yet, but she was recently abducted and brought there. The characters there currently are: Araha and Ran, her spren (by me), Damaya and Corundum, her spren (by Sorana), A Space Marine woman who's not in good shape (by Grey Knight), and Pry (by Silva). There are also NPC servants and staff running about the house

*Waystop - we came from over here before the plot started, right now, it'll be mostly quiet. It's basically an inn that also teaches its tenants about Investiture, though that's not much of an option right now since both owners of it are currently occupied with irl stuff

*Well of Descension - this one's a main plot so that means that there'd be more people joining, though I have no idea what's been happening there since I haven't been paying attention to that

Edited by Archer

16 hours ago, Cyanic said:

I'd suggest, since the way you're describing this is that your character's a mostly know killer, make this a hideout of some kind to just make this thread a location where people can come in and try to collect that bounty, trying to find the killer. For that, you'd also need to change the title of the thread to better describe what location this is.

No no! It's not that! It's not a thing just for character dev [development], but mostly a quest. In fact the character dev is more along the lines of plot relevation than character dev. I don't want to develop a character, I want a quest for people to go on to gain renown (of a sort)

And I did visit the Waystop but I didn't have a good way to put that character in there (because 1. I'd originally thought it was a bar but when I found out it wasn't I didn't know how to incorporate Anna into there, and 2. The "No Hemalurgy" sign.)

Edited by Archer

5 hours ago, Le Sigh said:

I don't want to develop a character, I want a quest for people to go on to gain renown (of a sort)

Ah I see, though you should specify how people can gain renown in the first post, since right now people aren't really sure what they'd be doing yet, you could also add some OOC explanation on the first post

5 hours ago, Le Sigh said:

And I did visit the Waystop but I didn't have a good way to put that character in there (because 1. I'd originally thought it was a bar but when I found out it wasn't I didn't know how to incorporate Anna into there, and 2. The "No Hemalurgy" sign.)

Ooh I see. That 'DIDGERIDOO' thread is the one that's more a bar, and another one that says Alleyway Bar (though Didgeridoo is more active) though I have no idea what's been happening there so you'd have to ask for a summary

be warned though, I don't think these are going to be as active as before since everyone's focused on the Well of Descension main plot

Edited by Cyanic

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, this RP has officially gone to sod. I just tried to do a cool RP thing and nobody wants to join. Also, no offense to you, @Archer, but where I come from when someone starts up a paragraph RP you don't just walk in and ask what the author's vision for it is, and then never take interest in it again.

But honestly I can't really blame you. As @Cyanic said, everyone super-focused on the Well of Descension plot, so nobody has the time to do a small RP. I get it. But honestly? This place is just super-quiet and nothing seems to really go on much in the places I've been. I realize there are things other than RP to do, but those things aren't really my shtick. I prefer to keep my theories to myself (and close friends) - most of them are pretty far-fetched after all. And just chatting about books and such seems very boring to me.

So, plainly put, if the RP sections (not necessarily just this one) don't actually start picking up users who aren't solely focusing on some Honordamned main plot I don't care about, then I honestly have no motivation to stay on this site.

That is all.

As one of the mods in the subforum I assume @Archer may have been asking the purpose so that we can include it in summaries, guides, etc. Or possibly so that it could be merged to another thread if needed (You clarified that it's a separate quest so that's not needed but you never know)

And as a suggestion: If you want more players to be involved you probably want to establish a starting scene, if I wanted to join this quest as it stands at the moment I have no idea where I would put my character, who would be around them or what their surroundings would be.

1 hour ago, Voidus said:

And as a suggestion: If you want more players to be involved you probably want to establish a starting scene, if I wanted to join this quest as it stands at the moment I have no idea where I would put my character, who would be around them or what their surroundings would be.

Oh. I get it.

Yeah, my main RP site never worried about starting scenes (it's actually considered "newb-y" to do them). Though should I make a new thread, since this one is all filled up with posts?

1 hour ago, Le Sigh said:

Oh. I get it.

Yeah, my main RP site never worried about starting scenes (it's actually considered "newb-y" to do them). Though should I make a new thread, since this one is all filled up with posts?

It very much depends on the audience. A more traditional 'adventurers party' might be willing to just accept a quest as a premise and run with it, RP here is very reactive and location and time are both very fluid constructs. There have been very few cases of an actual quest being issued and then followed through by a character without deviation.

We also have a bit of an issue in that we have almost no fleshed out NPCs, so if you don't establish a setting with a player character then there is no one for any other characters to interact with.