The Chat Thread

Archer

1 hour ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Hmm, there are a few people in Mac’s Boarding House, that could be someplace to start. It also depends if you want to go off the idea that your character has just arrived in the AV or has been here a while. That will help to decide where to jump in.

just woke from a coma, essentially.

3 hours ago, EmulatonStromenkiin said:

just woke from a coma, essentially.

Hmm, well then I’d probably recommend the Boarding House thread because it’s a decent place to get basic in-world information. Would you like a run-down of the current plot or do you have the general idea already?

Just now, EmulatonStromenkiin said:

rundown, please

So, basically this Era is a kind of alternate reality to the Alleyverse. One of the two founding entities (we’ll call them gods because it’s easiest) named the Stranger, decided to rewrite the history of the entire universe in order to give his friend, Voidus, the other god, a life unburdened with divinity, war, and the ceaseless stress of immortality. He achieved this by performing a Forgery on the planet itself, and it affects everyone on it. 

On paper, this world is perfect. There are no guild wars, no endless cycles of death and violence. The founding guild of hemalurgists, the Dark Alley (the DA), operates entirely in the shadows and the wider populace believes them to be a myth. They are left to their own devices to experiment as they please, and in general they do not cause much trouble. Life is good in the Alleycity.

But the Forgery is starting to fall apart. Cracks are beginning to form faster than they can be resealed. People are beginning to remember their old life, and these remembrances cause the appearance of shadow creatures that effectively mind-wipe the person back to Forgery settings. However, things are still cracking. 

It is important to remember that if your character has no previous history in the AV then they would not be experiencing any aberrant memories. This version of the world would be the only version they know. Their main point of conflict would be interacting with people who do have an alternate history, or observing physical phenomena like earthquakes and other things like that. As the plot continues I imagine the physical manifestations will get much more drastic but right now it’s still subtle.

Any questions?

1 minute ago, ZincAboutIt said:

So, basically this Era is a kind of alternate reality to the Alleyverse. One of the two founding entities (we’ll call them gods because it’s easiest) named the Stranger, decided to rewrite the history of the entire universe in order to give his friend, Voidus, the other god, a life unburdened with divinity, war, and the ceaseless stress of immortality. He achieved this by performing a Forgery on the planet itself, and it affects everyone on it. 

On paper, this world is perfect. There are no guild wars, no endless cycles of death and violence. The founding guild of hemalurgists, the Dark Alley (the DA), operates entirely in the shadows and the wider populace believes them to be a myth. They are left to their own devices to experiment as they please, and in general they do not cause much trouble. Life is good in the Alleycity.

But the Forgery is starting to fall apart. Cracks are beginning to form faster than they can be resealed. People are beginning to remember their old life, and these remembrances cause the appearance of shadow creatures that effectively mind-wipe the person back to Forgery settings. However, things are still cracking. 

It is important to remember that if your character has no previous history in the AV then they would not be experiencing any aberrant memories. This version of the world would be the only version they know. Their main point of conflict would be interacting with people who do have an alternate history, or observing physical phenomena like earthquakes and other things like that. As the plot continues I imagine the physical manifestations will get much more drastic but right now it’s still subtle.

Any questions?

Thanks! To clarify, are guilds aware of the Forging? b/c my character was cared for by TUBA when in coma(happened upon entering world), and got info from them.

8 minutes ago, EmulatonStromenkiin said:

Thanks! To clarify, are guilds aware of the Forging? b/c my character was cared for by TUBA when in coma(happened upon entering world), and got info from them.

They are not. No one is aware, and if they become aware then they are soon wiped back to unawareness. Not even the DA knows about the Forgery, that’s part of what makes everything so fun.

On 06/04/2022 at 7:04 PM, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

well the STE has a large amount of info. we have influence around the city I guess. we have nice connections with power maybe. um. SPIKES!

Ah yes, spikes.

Hmmm that will require making here a bit more neutral than originally planed but I think it should work

On a not totally unrelated note, who much point would intangibility cost (assuming the person can't become tangible again while in a solid for obvious "it's broken" reasons"

And would having the atiumind of a dead person, unless I'm mistaken there shouldn't any way to use in any other way than a jewellery

20 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

Sounds good. I just wrote a post to hopefully get Aln and Folorian out of the hospital, so we can wrap that up. @mathiau what do you want to have them do during the timeskip?

Aside for the obvious like telling each other what they learned, I guess the first thing to do would be for them to find a place to sleep that's not Cassie's house, the Boarding House could work.

I think Aln heard Ronald mention his tailor so maybe they could investigate that?

Also Aln mentioned wanting to test how much being close to Folorian affected her bane so we could say they did that.

While we're on here bane, would Aln or Pel have heard/seen Folorian's truth? If not would they have asked him about it? It's not something he really wants to talk about with anyone, especially not Aln, but he would tell her if she insisted a bit.

1 hour ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

hmmmm, Im thinking of maybe creating an anti-hero type of character who would kind of butt heads with Darien and stuff like that, so I have another character to play besides Darien.

It's generally not a good idea to have two distinct characters that are supposed to be often together being played by the same person (except in cases when you can't do otherwise like radiant's sprens) especially when these characters are supposed to sometime fight alongside each other as it kind of breaks the point of the index. If you want a second character it's probably better to go with something unrelated to Darien. says the guy currently trying to get one of his character's sister in the AV

Also an anti-hero who kind of butts heads with Darien is probably what I'll end up when I finish Marie so they would probably be somewhat redundant with each other:ph34r:

1 hour ago, ZincAboutIt said:

On paper, this world is perfect.

*Snikers in the slum still existing*

4 minutes ago, mathiau said:

Ah yes, spikes.

So, any outside knowledge of hemalurgy would definitely attract the attention of the DA, especially in this version of the world. Don’t get me wrong, that sounds fun! But you should know what you’re in for :P 

Also fine so to the world isn’t actually perfect - but it’s much nicer 

6 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

So, any outside knowledge of hemalurgy would definitely attract the attention of the DA, especially in this version of the world. Don’t get me wrong, that sounds fun! But you should know what you’re in for :P 

… wait it would

… uh oh

16 minutes ago, mathiau said:

It's generally not a good idea to have two distinct characters that are supposed to be often together being played by the same person (except in cases when you can't do otherwise like radiant's sprens) especially when these characters are supposed to sometime fight alongside each other as it kind of breaks the point of the index. If you want a second character it's probably better to go with something unrelated to Darien. says the guy currently trying to get one of his character's sister in the AV

Also an anti-hero who kind of butts heads with Darien is probably what I'll end up when I finish Marie so they would probably be somewhat redundant with each other:ph34r:

um, it would work, TRUST ME, it will work eventually, I won't be introducing the character soon, I still have a lot to do, but I will, just wait and see...

10 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Joke is, she might actually see it as a positive. She's a gloryseeker, and would be more glorious than forcing an mythical organisation to acknowledge your existence and live to save the day?

In the previous world she would have known that was far to dangerous from the stories of here parents, but they didn't say them in this one so...

True

3 minutes ago, Ashbringer said:

… wait it would

… uh oh

I don't think just knowing spikes are a thing would be an issue. Knowing how to create them would.

Just now, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

um, it would work, TRUST ME, it will work eventually, I won't be introducing the character soon, I still have a lot to do, but I will, just wait and see...

I meant for my character :)

Edited by mathiau

1 minute ago, mathiau said:

Joke is, she might actually see it as a positive. She's a gloryseeker, and would be more glorious than forcing an mythical organisation to acknowledge your existence and live to save the day?

In the previous world she would have known that was far to dangerous from the stories of here parents, but they didn't say them in this one so...

True

I don't think just knowing spikes are a thing would be an issue. Knowing how to create them would.

I meant for my character :)

oh, well. I just had a brainwave for the character, they would interact with Darien briefly, but only briefly then they would go on different adventures and stuff, maybe contacting Darien occasionally. but they wouldn't really be in STE and stuff.

43 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Yes this is what would do it, I think.

… you guys remember how Lord-son-son-Silberfarben made a bunch of Hemalurgic henchmen who then got blown up withe the Trader’s Haven and their spikes got left around?

… yeah Cassie still has those.

Just now, Ashbringer said:

… you guys remember how Lord-son-son-Silberfarben made a bunch of Hemalurgic henchmen who then got blown up withe the Trader’s Haven and their spikes got left around?

You know what I do not remember that XD 

But putting those to use would absolutely cause some serious scrutiny to fall upon your character

7 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

You know what I do not remember that XD 

But putting those to use would absolutely cause some serious scrutiny to fall upon your character

Cassie’s not that insane, not yet anyway :P

At some point I need to write a scene about them, because her perspective on what they represent is… strange. My plan was for her to officially donate them to the Ghostbloods in exchange for full membership and the little operation to mecha-Cassie, but if the DA were to catch wind of the stockpile that could also prove interesting.

1 hour ago, mathiau said:

As someone who played a Radian Spren for someone else I can say that it is in fact very enjoyable. I'm of the opinion that it helps to flesh them out more as a true character rather than just fantasy sidekick. Obviously not for everyone but it is a consideration for people.

And yeah I very strongly advise people not to create characters just to support your other characters, the joy of the AV is collaborative storytelling. If you feel like your character needs someone to oppose or help them then talking about that here is usually best and someone may be able to volunteer. That is much more conducive to the RP in general than just trying to work around other players and tell a specific story you thought of with characters you control.

2 hours ago, mathiau said:

Aside for the obvious like telling each other what they learned, I guess the first thing to do would be for them to find a place to sleep that's not Cassie's house, the Boarding House could work.

I think Aln heard Ronald mention his tailor so maybe they could investigate that?

Also Aln mentioned wanting to test how much being close to Folorian affected her bane so we could say they did that.

While we're on here bane, would Aln or Pel have heard/seen Folorian's truth? If not would they have asked him about it? It's not something he really wants to talk about with anyone, especially not Aln, but he would tell her if she insisted a bit.

The Boarding House sounds good, especially if @EmulatonStromenkiin wanted to join up with our investigation. We could go to the tailor from there?

It could be nice to do some more conversational RP before jumping back into action, though, like testing the bane or talking about the oath. I think Aln was a little distracted at the moment, so I hadn't written her as noticing the oath; just the soulcasting. I could have Pel have noticed, though, if you want him to bring it up.

10 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

The Boarding House sounds good, especially if @EmulatonStromenkiin wanted to join up with our investigation. We could go to the tailor from there?

It could be nice to do some more conversational RP before jumping back into action, though, like testing the bane or talking about the oath. I think Aln was a little distracted at the moment, so I hadn't written her as noticing the oath; just the soulcasting. I could have Pel have noticed, though, if you want him to bring it up.

to clarify, the boarding house thread is Mac's Boarding House?

edit: nevermind

Edited by EmulatonStromenkiin

15 hours ago, Ashbringer said:

15 hours ago, Ashbringer said:

Cassie’s not that insane, not yet anyway :P

At some point I need to write a scene about them, because her perspective on what they represent is… strange. My plan was for her to officially donate them to the Ghostbloods in exchange for full membership and the little operation to mecha-Cassie, but if the DA were to catch wind of the stockpile that could also prove interesting.

I thought she had already given them

13 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

That's a good idea.

I don't really care whether Pel or Aln is the one who bring the oath up, and whether it has anything to do with them hearing him say it or with the fact Aln thinks he said it at the Emporium. I just don't want Folorian to be the one to bring it up

Also, do you allow me to have him have a crush on Aln?

9 hours ago, Voidus said:

Most distracting however, was as she examined the Alley and found a small depression in the stone, a natural pool had formed. And from above a silent, and gently falling rain continued to fill that pool.

One one hand, this seems like a major mistake on Sudiov's part. On the other hand, I don't see even Voidus could exploit the Church too much