The Chat Thread

Archer

13 hours ago, Ashbringer said:

So... does anyone know what a Department of PR for the Dark Alley would even do? Is it much more different than any PR department for any slightly shady company?

You know I actually don’t know. It depends on the public image that the DA wants to project next Era. If it’s more secrecy focused like this era, you’d probably work closely with the Intelligence and Acquisitions departments to keep our activities hidden and plant fake leads for various disappearances and other odd phenomena. If it’s another goal then you’d work to do that. 

4 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

You know I actually don’t know. It depends on the public image that the DA wants to project next Era. If it’s more secrecy focused like this era, you’d probably work closely with the Intelligence and Acquisitions departments to keep our activities hidden and plant fake leads for various disappearances and other odd phenomena. If it’s another goal then you’d work to do that. 

I’m also wondering if they’d be in charge of concealing / directing view of the DA civil war itself if it becomes more apparent. But I also don’t want to step on HR’s toes, because… well, it’s HR.

Not a mod, so don't quote me, but I'm pretty sure that's a perfectly great idea. I think it isn't on the list because a Seon really isn't that powerful. Besides having the ability to have your Seon talk with other Seons or to send it somewhere you aren't, there really isn't any ability it grants. However, definitely a cool character attribute and can give you some good RP variety. 

5 minutes ago, HippoPhileus said:

Thanks!

What would the points be for a seon? That is the main thing I need to figure out.

Not much, maybe 5 or 10 points at max. All they can do is be used for communication and knowledge right? 

When you make your character sheet, indicate what you plan on having the seon do. If its just a side character to provide some conversation, probably won't be anything. If you plan on it being a vast source of otherwise difficult to obtain knowledge, maybe a little bit. If you want it acting as a spy, maybe a bit more. Likely however, it won't break the character.

16 hours ago, MacThorstenson said:

Not much, maybe 5 or 10 points at max. All they can do is be used for communication and knowledge right? 

When you make your character sheet, indicate what you plan on having the seon do. If its just a side character to provide some conversation, probably won't be anything. If you plan on it being a vast source of otherwise difficult to obtain knowledge, maybe a little bit. If you want it acting as a spy, maybe a bit more. Likely however, it won't break the character.

Great. Thanks!

If we do end up doing a DA Cold War and there's a spot open in the department heads, I have an idea for an OP character I wanted to try (only for the purposes of interacting with this, not for messing with regularly balanced characters). I don't really know how the DA organization works, though, so if you don't want me jumping in with a department head without already having joined the guild, that's cool too.

The idea is basically a Fortune abuser who's managed to get enough luck through a combination of different magic systems + chromium compounding that reality just kind of warps itself around her subconsciously wherever she goes, granting her pretty much whatever she wants. What she failed to consider before doing this, however, was that that would get incredibly boring. So after a few centuries she started actively going out of her way to cause problems for herself, only to become increasingly frustrated when they resolve themselves. She'd be joining in the Cold War primarily in the hopes of finally getting something to do.

Has a character like this already been made? And would there be an open spot in any sort of DA conflict? I know we're still dealing with the current Era before moving on to deciding the next plot, but I wanted to ask.

39 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

If we do end up doing a DA Cold War and there's a spot open in the department heads, I have an idea for an OP character I wanted to try (only for the purposes of interacting with this, not for messing with regularly balanced characters). I don't really know how the DA organization works, though, so if you don't want me jumping in with a department head without already having joined the guild, that's cool too.

The idea is basically a Fortune abuser who's managed to get enough luck through a combination of different magic systems + chromium compounding that reality just kind of warps itself around her subconsciously wherever she goes, granting her pretty much whatever she wants. What she failed to consider before doing this, however, was that that would get incredibly boring. So after a few centuries she started actively going out of her way to cause problems for herself, only to become increasingly frustrated when they resolve themselves. She'd be joining in the Cold War primarily in the hopes of finally getting something to do.

Has a character like this already been made? And would there be an open spot in any sort of DA conflict? I know we're still dealing with the current Era before moving on to deciding the next plot, but I wanted to ask.

I don't have any issues with people RPing characters in a different guild to them, I do generally want to be a little careful of just letting people play department heads because it can be easy for people to just use it as a power fantasy. For me most of the joy of the upper members of the DA is them struggling with their power, when to use it and why, what it means to be so different from everyone else. Coming to terms with all of that is an interesting story that has been explored from many angles.

That being said this concept looks like it is exactly heading in the right direction. I'm not going to go so far as saying it's approved since we probably want to wait for more details of the era, etc. but looks like she'd fit in pretty well.

Hello! I just joined the alleyverse, and I'm wondering 1) what the current plot is and 2) what is the current era?

My character:

Spoiler

Name: Arington Peras (nickname: Ari)

Physical Characteristics: Male, human, of average strength.

Investiture: The seon Sao (means intelligence, learning: for communication, information, and spying +5)

Skills: Ari is skilled (+50) in melee weapons and average (+20) in hand-to-hand combat. A intelligent (+20) human, he is skilled (+25) at healing, and has dabbled in the hemalurgic arts (the theoretical, not the physical) and creation of fabrials. To help him in his studies, Ari is skilled (+30) at analysis and has studied investiture for the past ten years (in an attempt to discover the secret of changing the type of investiture from one Shard’s investiture to another).

Equipment: Shardblade (+30), knife, a satchel used for notes and research, some tent stakes (which lack any sort of investiture…:D)

Weakness: Ari’s attention is often caught by interesting things (a weakness in combat or while trying to focus), but more importantly he is afraid of himself. He fears that he will strike out in anger and hurt someone he loves (see psyche). His intermittent explosive disorder is also a weakness (-30)

Family: Ari’s father and mother (now shades) were from Scadrial, and came to Threnody before the system became a mess. He had one sister (now a shade) and no brothers. Ari is not aware of any other relations in the Alleyverse.

Home Planet: Ari is from Threnody. According to him, it is “not a vacation home.”

Backstory: Ari was born on Threnody to Shari and Kalidran Peras, near the Forests of Hell. His parents came from Scadrial and settled there before Ambition, Mercy, and Odium’s fight. Before the shades, Ari would sit in the Forests for hours studying all kinds of plant and animal life. Tragedy struck when, several years later in a bout of rage, he accidentally killed his parents. Traumatized, it took Ari a long time to recover. To distract himself from his past, Ari began researching investiture. This search for information led him to the wider universe at the age of 17. While visiting Roshar, Ari accidently killed a Shardbearer (never lean your back against a large boulder on a cliff, it might hit someone. Would you call this luck? For Ari, maybe, but not for the Shardbearer) and bonded the Blade. Ari continues to travel the Alleyverse researching investiture where and when he can.

Guild: currently unaffiliated

Psyche: Ari has intermittent explosive disorder (a real thing), where he has repeated, sudden episodes of impulsive, aggressive, violent behavior or angry verbal outbursts in which he can react grossly out of proportion to the situation. Other than that he’s fine. He tries to be nice (when he’s not striking out in anger).

Personality: Ari is friendly and kind most of the time. Bothering or surprising him runs the risk of triggering intense bouts of anger. He is frequently distracted by interesting things, and loves to research and does scientific research about investiture when he can.

Appearance: He is 5ft 8in, 34 years old. Not skinny but not large, Ari has a good build, and is muscular but does not appear so. Dirty blond hair, caucasian, with a more elliptical face shape than square or round. He lacks facial hair, but that all the more emphasizes his blue eyes. Ari wears glasses, a thin wire frame around lenses an eighth of an inch thick (he’s nearsighted).

Fighting Style: Ari will avoid confrontation whenever possible due to his trauma from childhood and because it triggers his disorder. When he must fight, his extreme anger causes him to be more reckless than he should, but it also makes him more dangerous. Ari prefers the use of swords over knives, but is good with a knife when necessary. The quarterstaff is his favorite weapon, since it is the least lethal

The aon Sao:

Q-hUhehy3xY9toTvrLPJXke8m_6r_WJTgTRljX1K6gm2g9I76h7J9grIxw1VxOquoiXu1MP8r8LlGMRuOfnKZafn0Ys2sQaETEd9zET9bpUKMcAnn_VtYXudcu3FdHuu2KHYyulA

46 minutes ago, HippoPhileus said:

Hello! I just joined the alleyverse, and I'm wondering 1) what the current plot is and 2) what is the current era?

My character:

Reveal hidden contents

Welcome!

First off an obligatory: Would you like a cookie?

So the current plot is a little difficult to explain but broadly the entire world has been Forged into an alternative timeline. Guilds are much less powerful, the guild wars have been erased and most of the demideities are either not active or Forged into new identities as average citizens. Some people have begun to regain memories of the old timeline and the world has started to fracture under the strain. Meanwhile some powerful individuals seek to maintain the forgery and utilize shadow monsters to remove memories from those who have regained them and occasionally make people vanish.

Current era is era 5.

So, Folorian will probably have to bail out to the CR soon so I'd to check whether I'm imagining right from what we had discussed last year

• There is no sea/land inversion
  • The land looks like a painting from M. C. Escher due to the existence of the Alleys, except it's seems made of a metal similar to the one of the Worldspike
  • The sea looks like blood due to the world being an hemalurgic construct
  • The souls of objects and people looks like shifting projections of 4D+ geometric figures
Spoiler

8-cell-orig.gif

Also, has the location of a safe perpendicularity ever been defined?

1 minute ago, Voidus said:

The cookie is a trap by the way

3 minutes ago, mathiau said:

Also, has the location of a safe perpendicularity ever been defined?

The Worldspike and the Voidpool where Sudiov originally was born from. But one is in a barrier and the other is sealed off. So for practical purposes, no I don't believe there are any.

5 minutes ago, mathiau said:

You say trap, I say opportunity.

2 hours ago, Voidus said:

Welcome!

So the current plot is a little difficult to explain but broadly the entire world has been Forged into an alternative timeline. Guilds are much less powerful, the guild wars have been erased and most of the demideities are either not active or Forged into new identities as average citizens. Some people have begun to regain memories of the old timeline and the world has started to fracture under the strain. Meanwhile some powerful individuals seek to maintain the forgery and utilize shadow monsters to remove memories from those who have regained them and occasionally make people vanish.

Current era is era 5.

Thank you Voidus!

@mathiau said:

You say trap, I say opportunity.

You both forget, I'm the president of the CIA:

COOKIE INFORMATIONAL PAMPHLET:

This is not an endorsement of the Alleyverse. This is just an informational pamphlet for the good of the general populace of the forums.

If you are new to the 17th Shard's forums, you will likely be asked if you would like a "cookie." Since there are underlying intentions to these supposed "cookies," this pamphlet aims to inform the reader of their true meaning. Continuing to read is your own decision.

Spoiler

WARNING: These cookies contain hemalurgical spikes.

If you are offered a cookie and do not turn it down, the conversation will inevitably turn to the offer of a link. This link might lead you to this topic thread: Cookies?!? Not a trap?

Essentially, cookies are an invitation to the Alleyverse. The Alleyverse is an RPG made up of multiple threads and split into multiple guilds (such as the Dark Alley). There are different threads including (but not limited to) location threads, plot threads, and threads for talking out of game. Reportedly "a fun rpg" (Thaidakar the Ghostblood), the Alleyverse is a popular choice among the available RPGs on the 17th Shard (but not the only option).

Thank you for reading this Cookie Informational Pamphlet. Here at the CIA (Cookie Information Association) we work to inform the forums of the meaning behind cookies. We do not aim to discourage anyone from accepting a cookie, simply to help them make an informed decision.

Edited by HippoPhileus
forgot a quote

Just now, Voidus said:

The Worldspike and the Voidpool where Sudiov originally was born from. But one is in a barrier and the other is sealed off. So for practical purposes, no I don't believe there are any.

Ah. That's an issue.

Does the Oathgate to the Newcago Court still exists in this era?

And may I take the fact you didn't react to my claims about the CR as an ok?

Just now, mathiau said:

Ah. That's an issue.

Does the Oathgate to the Newcago Court still exists in this era?

And may I take the fact you didn't react to my claims about the CR as an ok?

Not sure that the Oathgate should still be there unless Elsa wants to join back in.

As for the CR, I honestly kind of prefer it being vague and unspecified. Having just a blood-soaked realm of weird geometry is a little too demistifying.

Especially in this Era the CR might look wildly different. I’d be in favor of a very vague CR, pretty much totally shrouded in mist, or perhaps a kind of blasted landscape with that lovely boiling Void-sky that is visible in the Alleys? Just something really unsettling

6 minutes ago, Voidus said:

Not sure that the Oathgate should still be there unless Elsa wants to join back in.

As for the CR, I honestly kind of prefer it being vague and unspecified. Having just a blood-soaked realm of weird geometry is a little too demistifying.

Ok, if there's no way to get back from the CR then I'll have to find another plan

42 minutes ago, HippoPhileus said:

Thank you Voidus!

@mathiau said:

You both forget, I'm the president of the CIA:

COOKIE INFORMATIONAL PAMPHLET:

This is not an endorsement of the Alleyverse. This is just an informational pamphlet for the good of the general populace of the forums.

If you are new to the 17th Shard's forums, you will likely be asked if you would like a "cookie." Since there are underlying intentions to these supposed "cookies," this pamphlet aims to inform the reader of their true meaning. Continuing to read is your own decision.

Reveal hidden contents

WARNING: These cookies contain hemalurgical spikes.

If you are offered a cookie and do not turn it down, the conversation will inevitably turn to the offer of a link. This link might lead you to this topic thread: Cookies?!? Not a trap?

Essentially, cookies are an invitation to the Alleyverse. The Alleyverse is an RPG made up of multiple threads and split into multiple guilds (such as the Dark Alley). There are different threads including (but not limited to) location threads, plot threads, and threads for talking out of game. Reportedly "a fun rpg" (Thaidakar the Ghostblood), the Alleyverse is a popular choice among the available RPGs on the 17th Shard (but not the only option).

Thank you for reading this Cookie Informational Pamphlet. Here at the CIA (Cookie Information Association) we work to inform the forums of the meaning behind cookies. We do not aim to discourage anyone from accepting a cookie, simply to help them make an informed decision.

welcome to the alley verse Hippo! nice pfp btw! I would be the one to offer a cookie but I see Voidus already took care of it. Once you get fully into it the alley verse is pretty fun.