Possible end of perpendiculariry

Kaladin_The_Stormblessed

Question

I ran across a post stating that with a sufficient amount of a shards “shard pool”, you may be able to soulcast that liquid into that shard’s godmetal. Assuming that this is possible, would it be possible with enough power or enough soulcasters, to transmute an entire pool into the godmetal, possibly blocking access.?

9 answers to this question

Seeing as how Shardpools and Godmetals are just Shard-Keyed Investiture in different states, I don't see why it wouldn't be theoretically possible. The only issue is the power levels. Investiture resists Investiture and seeing as how both the initial and desired substance are just pure Investiture, it would probably be very difficult to force even more into it. It might be doable, but the power levels would have to be off the charts. Even if it was done, I assume that the newly solidified perpendicularity would either quickly degrade back to it's original form, the Investiture fighting the forced change, or a new perpendicularity would form as per the Shard's level of Investment on the planet.

Hmm. The liquid physical form of a Shards investiture seems to be more potent than the solid form (hence perpendicularities being generally liquid) so it seems a strange approach to me. At least in Scadrial.

Kaimipono

Allomancy is fueled by Preservation's body? How exactly does that work? And how does that interact with Atium—it's fueled by both gods' bodies?

Brandon Sanderson

The powers of Ruin and Preservation are Shards of Adonalsium, pieces of the power of creation itself. Allomancy, Hemalurgy, Feruchemy are manifestations of this power in mortal form, the ability to touch the powers of creation and use them. These metallic powers are how people's physical forms interpret the use of the Shard, though it's not the only possible way they could be interpreted or used. It's what the genetics and Realmatic interactions of Scadrial allow for, and has to do with the Spiritual, the Cognitive, and the Physical Realms.

Condensed 'essence' of these godly powers can act as super-fuel for Allomancy, Feruchemy, or really any of the powers. The form of that super fuel is important. In liquid form it's most potent, in gas form it's able to fuel Allomancy as if working as a metal. In physical form it is rigid and does one specific thing. In the case of atium, it allows sight into the future. In the case of concentrated Preservation, it gives one a permanent connection to the mists and the powers of creation. (I.e., it makes them an Allomancer.)

So when a person is burning metals, they aren't using Preservation's body as a fuel so to speak—though they are tapping into the powers of creation just slightly. When Vin burns the mists, however, she'd doing just that—using the essence of Preservation, the Shard of Adonalsium itself—to fuel Allomancy. Doing this, however, rips 'troughs' through her body. It's like forcing far too much pressure through a very small, fragile hose. That much power eventually vaporizes the corporeal host, which is acting as the block and forcing the power into a single type of conduit (Allomancy) and frees it to be more expansive.

source

That said you can theoretically condense the gaseous form into solid (again, at least in Scadrial) so that may be what you're thinking of. 

BlackYeti

Because you've talked about alloying the god metals with other ones-- I was wondering whether you would be able to melt them down as you would with normal metals.

Brandon Sanderson

If you could distill the god metal: you could distill it out of the mist, that's theoretically possible.

source

I don't think this would prevent access based on :

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/31/#e9665

Questioner

Hoid worldhops between places. How did he do it on Scadrial? With Ati's body?

Brandon Sanderson

So, there were two perpendicularities on Scadrial.

Questioner

I know he uses the pools, but how did he do it with Pits of Hathsin? There was no pool? The body was there...

Brandon Sanderson

So, it doesn't have to be going through the pool. What happens with a perpendicularity is, where there is a massive collection of Investiture, it pulls a conduit through. So, if you know what you're doing and where you are, you can get through that.

Questioner

So you don't have to use the pools, just where there's a huge concentration...

Brandon Sanderson

A huge concentration of Investiture will warp the realms.

Questioner

So can anyone worldhop that way, then? If they know what to do?

Brandon Sanderson

If they know what to do, in a perpendicularity, anyone should be able to get through there. But as proven with Raoden, if you don't know what it's supposed to do, nothing happens. He gets dumped int he pool, he thinks he's gonna die... nothing. So, it's more than just being there.

Questioner

That's how he went from the Physical to the Cognitive, so I was wondering how did he do that at the Pits of Hathsin, when there shouldn't be a pool there

Brandon Sanderson

Well, that is the equivalent.

source

It seems like the form the investure takes doesn't matter

The form of the investiture doesn’t matter, but if a pool in scadrial were to be soulcast into godmetal, could a mistborn not burn the godmetal, removing the investiture, similar to what Elend and his band of atium mistings did to the body of ruin. Furthermore, could this removal of investiture weaken the bearer of the shard? 

Edited by Kaladin_The_Stormblessed

16 hours ago, Calderis said:
18 hours ago, Scion of the Mists said:

Interestingly, Brandon has talked about what burning a huge amount of a godmetal would do: it would basically Ascend you.  

I believe that that is speaking specifically about lerasium. 

It is, but I interpreted the reasoning behind that WoB as being Shard-agnostic.  Burning so much of the distilled essence of any Shard should warp the user in a pretty profound way.  

36 minutes ago, Scion of the Mists said:

It is, but I interpreted the reasoning behind that WoB as being Shard-agnostic.  Burning so much of the distilled essence of any Shard should warp the user in a pretty profound way.  

If the Beyond exists Vin could have to deal with a ruinous husband XD 

On 8/22/2018 at 9:03 AM, Kaladin_The_Stormblessed said:

The form of the investiture doesn’t matter, but if a pool in scadrial were to be soulcast into godmetal, could a mistborn not burn the godmetal, removing the investiture, similar to what Elend and his band of atium mistings did to the body of ruin. Furthermore, could this removal of investiture weaken the bearer of the shard? 

No, the Investiture would cycle through the system and go back to the Shard eventually. What happened with Ruin and the atium was that Leras managed to split off a chunk of the former's power and set it to recycle constantly back into the Physical Realm, thus keeping it from Ruin's immediate access. Even if converting the liquid Investiture to godmetal form temporarily took it out of circulation (and there's no reason to believe an ordinary mortal could force that kind of thing upon a Shard if things weren't already set up to work that way) it would go back eventually in the same way that Ruin was able to theoretically reclaim his 'lost' Investiture once he was free.