Elhokar's Spren

WitSpren

I'm also of the opinion that Elhokar will definitely be a KR. Apart from the spren he sees, 1 of the biggest evidences we see is when his suit fails. It's presumed someone put duff gems in his suit. Now, if you think about it, that too is a ridiculous assassination attempt as with other shardbearers like Dalinar and Adolin there, the risk to him was still minimal so, I conclude that it was Elhokar himself who fed on the stormlight without realising. It most likely happened when he raced Dalinar. It's because of his insecurity about his position, the perceived threat to his life and the pressure of following Davilar that he is very weak. His oath will be something along the lines of strengthening his will. His decision making and authority. I'm guessing he'll be a Willshaper or Dustbringers. Also, if BS follows his no death, reincarnation philosophy, I reckon Ym will come back as a Willshaper!

WoB is that it's very hard to drain the Stormlight from an active set of Shards.

Szeth does it just before he kills Gavilar and there's no mention of this being particularly difficult. Also, as Elhokar would be touching the gems it would b easier than an external source doing it through his shardplate. Kaladin also fuses the gauntlet he puts on in the arena, so it's really the same thing in reverse?

Szeth does it just before he kills Gavilar and there's no mention of this being particularly difficult. Also, as Elhokar would be touching the gems it would b easier than an external source doing it through his shardplate. Kaladin also fuses the gauntlet he puts on in the arena, so it's really the same thing in reverse?

This could be a difference between Honorblades and Shardblades. Honorblades can't heal Shardblade wounds, but perhaps they can draw Stormlight from Shardplate more easily?

Has anyone started a thread discussing the differences? I should do that.

This could be a difference between Honorblades and Shardblades. Honorblades can't heal Shardblade wounds, but perhaps they can draw Stormlight from Shardplate more easily?

Has anyone started a thread discussing the differences? I should do that.

The honour blade itself doesn't draw stormlight it grants the wielder the ability to do that. Any surge binder can draw stormlight even from a shardsuit as long as it is cracked/damaged like gavilars was.

I had been under the idea that if Elkohar is to be a radiant, he would most likely be a Willshaper. From the description of them, they seem kind of flighty and unreliable, which is Elkohar entirely.

I would not put it past the spren he was seeing to be not be necessarily cryptics but voidspren instead. If not him, then surely his wife was influenced by them as she seems to have been rather despicable, to put it mildly.

The honour blade itself doesn't draw stormlight it grants the wielder the ability to do that. Any surge binder can draw stormlight even from a shardsuit as long as it is cracked/damaged like gavilars was.

The Honorblade is less efficient because it 'eats' your Stormlight though. It's possible that because the Honorblade acts like a vortex for Stormlight, that it makes Honorblade wielders 'suck' Stormlight with greater strength, which makes Szeth sucking in Gavilar's Shardplate's gems easier.

We have WoB that sucking Stormlight from Shardplate is very hard, and we've never seen anyone but Szeth do it. Shardplate Stormlight-sucking strength is incredibly powerful, to go by how quickly Kaladin's Stormlight was lost to the helmet he found.

We have WoB that sucking Stormlight from Shardplate is very hard, and we've never seen anyone but Szeth do it. Shardplate Stormlight-sucking strength is incredibly powerful, to go by how quickly Kaladin's Stormlight was lost to the helmet he found.

I don't think u can suck stormlight from shardplate normally. Szeth could do it because gavilars plate was damaged in the battle. I'm saying Elhokar did it because he was wearing it so was in direct contact with the gems inside. There was no plate to act as a barrier. From what I've understood, Honour blades make your use of stormlight less efficient but don't increase your drawing power.

I have not read the WoK prelude for a while so I might be wrong, but could it not be that Seth sucked in the stormlight that leaked from the plate when it was cracked and not drawing the stormlight directly from the plate?

First of all, I'm posting off topic, and I'm very sorry. I tried searching through the forums but I couldn't find anything. 

His wife's infedelity?     His not true son?

I've been through both books 3 times now, and I completely missed this. Can you point me towards a thread where I can find sweet sweet answers?

Edit: Thanks WitSpren! I'll reread that interlude now. 

Edited by EMTrevor

First of all, I'm posting off topic, and I'm very sorry. I tried searching through the forums but I couldn't find anything. 

I've been through both books 3 times now, and I completely missed this. Can you point me towards a thread where I can find sweet sweet answers?

The Infedelity is referenced in the Lhan Interlude.       The second is probably just an assumption based on the first

Am I the only one who would be utterly disapointed if Elhokar turned out being a Radian??? I mean the guy is a whinny wimp with bad judgement call and a tendancy to loose his temper. How can he qualify for Knight Radianhood? Being broken cannot be the only requisite.

Am I the only one who would be utterly disapointed if Elhokar turned out being a Radian??? I mean the guy is a whinny wimp with bad judgement call and a tendancy to loose his temper. How can he qualify for Knight Radianhood? Being broken cannot be the only requisite.

He tries to do good, and realizes his flaws. That means he's going to get some character growth.

With regard to whether Elhokar could or couldn't have drained the Stormlight from his own armour:

It's hard to drain it from someone else's Shardplate unless the gems are cracked, and I grant that the WoB doesn't specify, but does it work that way for your own Shardplate? There are many good theories about how the Shardplate functioned for KRs so I won't go into them, but I'm thinking about how the helm drew Stormlight from Kaladin when he was fighting alongside Adolin in the duel.

If the helm he was using could draw from Kaladin's reserves, is the opposite possible? I don't think this is likely, because if it were, Kaladin would've been able to draw from the helm in the duel, but perhaps he couldn't because the helm had already basically just leaked almost all his Stormlight away so there wasn't anything left for him to draw on. I'm also reluctant to consider that whether you're the wearer of the Shardplate makes a difference or doesn't, though. On one hand, the Shardplate clearly exhibits some sort of connection to the person wearing it. I don't think cracked Shardplates drain off Kaladin if he's not wearing them, or he'd have been in serious trouble many times over. In addition, we know Shardplate moulds itself to its wearer, to some extent. At the same time, it's interchangeable: you don't bond it the way you do a Shardblade.

I just thought I'd throw it out there anyway. (If it is possible, then the view that Elhokar drained his own Plate and is probably bonding to a spren--the ones he sees in mirrors?--might work out.)

Edited by Kasimir

HI , I'm new.

I think it is worth mentioning that during their ride in the modified slave wagon with Tvklav Pattern told Shallan that he was the only cryptic aloud to form the nahel bond, purely as a scholarly experiment, as the cryptics see no use in forming these bonds because they will only die because of them.

Yes, Kaladen has been angry all the time for the last book and a half, and Kaladen did make a lot of bad decisions this book and he did whine a lot internally and some externally. 

OH!!      You were talking about Elhokar - Yea!   Him too!!!

What I'm saying is that, this is part of why I like this book so much.      ALL  the characters seem to be screwing up a LOT in realistic ways.     They do not always make the right decisions (BIG understatement here), but they do eventually get where they need to be.      They learn and grow.

I think it is a much better characterization, than a lot of books. 

I loved Elhokar's visit and talk with Kal.     He is in, way over his head as king, but he is trying like hell and grasping at straws, trying to figure out how to become a better king.     He knows he has problems, but he is trying to do the right thing - learn how to be a better leader.

I think that he will be a KR of some sort.     He does qualify as "broken" and working his way back.      And the Spren he sees in the corner of his eye and mirrors, seems to add to it.      But if BS does not choose to make him a KR, that is OK also.     I do think that he will become a better king.     I think his stay with the Herdazians might actually be good for him - by getting a better "rapore" with the common people.

@signspace13

I think that we are at the point that we should take statements by all the Spren with a grain of salt. 

I'm sorry I do not have time to dig out all the "miss-statements" of all the different Spren.      But there have been a lot.

A few examples though:

Syl - I am the only Honor Spren  -------       as long as you ignore the Big Guy - Stormfather.

Pattern - All the bonded Spren died  -   well except for Stormfather and a few others.

Stormfather -    You killed her - there is nothing that you can do. 

Syl - Parshendi can't bond Spren

Edited by WitSpren

Yes, Kaladen has been angry all the time for the last book and a half, and Kaladen did make a lot of bad decisions this book and he did whine a lot internally and some externally. 

OH!!      You were talking about Elhokar - Yea!   Him too!!!

I agree that Kaladin did come up a bit whinny in WoR, but we had WoK to sympathise with him. We understand how he got there and he does try to make the right decisions. Elhokar, on the other hand, does not seem to try, except at the end. He just seem to pout endlessly. Even Renarin who does not do much comes up better than Elhokar.

Well, maybe the character will grow on me in the next book, but it would be nice if someone in the Kholin's family does not end up being a Radian and Elhokar definitely sounds like a good choice. I wouldn't even mind him dying at this point.

I see Sanderson doing something great with Elhokar. A couple HUNDRED pages of growth and I'm sure he'll make as great of a Radiant as Kaladin's toe nails.

He is Gavilar's son after all.

Edited by Vasteel

I see Sanderson doing something great with Elhokar. A couple HUNDRED pages of growth and I'm sure he'll make as great of a Radiant as Kaladin's toe nails.

He is Gavilar's son after all.

Or the Queen could bring his 4 year old proto-KR true born son to Uritheru where the son puts both of them down Shallan style.

If Shallan is there, she can even sing him a nice lullaby.......

Just a thought.     ;)

Or the Queen could bring his 4 year old proto-KR true born son to Uritheru where the son puts both of them down Shallan style.

If Shallan is there, she can even sing him a nice lullaby.......

Just a thought.     ;)

HAHAHA

Wait, what?

Sorry that was a little bit of Elhokar bashing. I really do hope he does grow up a bit but so far I greatly dislike his character. Not saying he isn't a necessary character - just don't like him

HAHAHA

Sorry that was a little bit of Elhokar bashing. I really do hope he does grow up a bit but so far I greatly dislike his character. Not saying he isn't a necessary character - just don't like him

I didn't like him at all, and then it turned out he actually realizes his flaws and wishes to get rid of them. I suspect, though, that he'll end up in a non-leadership role overall, where he's better suited.

HAHAHA

Same here.

• Chaos locked this topic