Hoid Hurting Himself?

Worldhopper From Yolen

Question

As I was rereading Words of Radiance, I noticed something odd. In Taln's interlude, one of the people talking mentions that Wit came with them, but on the second day, he hit himself in the head with a rock and ran off. We know that Wit/Hoid has a compulsion to not hurt himself, so how could he hit himself in the head with a rock?

6 answers to this question

49 minutes ago, Juanaton said:

He can’t hurt others. He didn’t do himself permanent injury.

His prohibition on harm extends to himself as well. 

Matrim [PENDING REVIEW]

Hoid gets his tooth knocked out while in Kholinar. He prompts somebody else to help him with that. Is that because he has issues hurting not only other people but himself?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Yep.

Matrim [PENDING REVIEW]

And then he considers healing that at a later point in time. Which magic system does he consider using to heal that?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

A magic system that predates-- predates any of the others.

source

The hitting himself was a part of an insult directed at Bordin. I would have to assume he didn't actually hit himself, no matter what Bordin think he saw. 

22 minutes ago, Juanaton said:

That’s why I included the part about doing himself permanent injury. Can he not even cause himself pain? That’s taking it further than I thought it went.

No. Even the thought of hurting someone causes him to be nauseated. 

A Budgie (paraphrased)

So, Hoid can't physically hurt someone, but does this ban extend to mental harm and harm through inaction?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

No. Hoid can mentally hurt someone, or allow them to be hurt, but when considering physical trauma he gets nauseous, to the point he can be incapacitated

source

Well i actually think is a really interesting point. I'm also aware of those WoBs but I wonder if this is indeed a question of whether hurt means pain or injury. 

But on the second day, he declared that he needed a rock.’ ‘A . . . rock.’ ‘Yes, Your Majesty. He hopped out of the wagon and found one, then, er, he hit himself on the head with it, Your Majesty. Did it three or four times. Came right back to the wagon with an odd grin, and said . . . um . . .’

I mean he could've pretended but that really doesn't sound like it. Maybe because he's Hoid he can actually take a lot of damage before he feels pain so he really did hit his head knowing it wouldn't hurt or injure him. But knocking out a tooth, as an actually injury, wasn't an option. But the prohibition on hurting others is more stringent. 

Anyway i certainly think its a good point to raise, whether it means injury or pain, coz it sounds to me like he actually hit himself.