Words of Radiance Deleted Interlude: Stick

Argent

No wonder this didn't make it into the book. I mean who'd have cared for Kaladin anymore? Oh the suspense! And who cares about Shallan's troubled past anymore when they've read this. I have to admit, I teared up a bit there at the end.

Edited by Spark

This stick sounds so pleased with himself ! I bet he's a stick politician in his little stick realm. Got into a position of power after rebelling against the tyrannic log rule. Now that they're out of the way he can oppress the poor branches to do slave labour for him .. why would he ever want to be anything else than a stick after gaining total dominance over the wood dominon ?

Edited by HydrogenAlpha

Nah, HydrogenAlpha. He's just one of those really misunderstood types. Actually, I'm sure he was mobbed in tree school for being so stiff, so he's just overcompensating. Now, as a grownup, he's proud of not bending according to others' whims - or bend at all, actually.

It wouldn't surprise me if at some point during those past weeks BS had a moment along the lines of: "What the... Seriously? I've spent years thinking all this stuff up, I write thousands of pages and THIS is what they celebrate? The stupid stick?"

Edited by Spark

It wouldn't surprise me if at some point during those past weeks BS had a moment along the lines of: "What the... Seriously? I've spent years thinking all this stuff up, I write thousands of pages and THIS is what they celebrate? The stupid stick?"

Or may be he could use it prove how great of an author he is: 'I'm so good I once created a minor character/piece of the environment that now has it's own church.' B)  

No the Stick is the 17th Shard. He's the evil mastermind behind everything!

Stick is not an evil mastermind. It is a stick.

Is it an antagonist? No. It is a stick. Is it a deity? It is a stick. Is it a recurring joke on the forums? No. It is a stick.

I think it's safe to assume that the one "I am a stick?" is when Shallan attempts to soulcast it, as the rest of the time it is very certain in its stickiness.

It foreshadows a potential danger of soulcasting-- what if the stick loses its sense of identity, yet is not convinced enough to change into something specific?

Once it gets to the "I am ???" phase, the stick could be highly vulnerable to outside influences (think Odium, voidspren). I can understand why it was removed from the book though, as Brandon usually likes to introduce things more subtly.

I think it's safe to assume that the one "I am a stick?" is when Shallan attempts to soulcast it, as the rest of the time it is very certain in its stickiness.

It foreshadows a potential danger of soulcasting-- what if the stick loses its sense of identity, yet is not convinced enough to change into something specific?

Once it gets to the "I am ???" phase, the stick could be highly vulnerable to outside influences (think Odium, voidspren). I can understand why it was removed from the book though, as Brandon usually likes to introduce things more subtly.

That's what Thunderclasts are... rocks that got subjected to the voidbinding analogue to Soulcasting. "I am stone. I am stone. I am stone... I am Voidbringer."

Pfah, how dare you let your faith waver in the stick. The stick is all, the stick is great, the stick is great,the stick is a stick! The stick is far superior to stone. When stone is broken, it becomes rocks, then pebbles, then sand. It is weak-willed, wishy-washy, flimsy in its convictions. But shatter a stick, and what do you get? More sticks! Stick can not be changed, stick will always stay stick, stick will never be fire. It is this conviction that brought Taln, Ancient of Sticks, through 4500 of torture. Only when he lost his memory, and thought himself Ancient of Stones, did he falter. The stick stands tall. Stand tall with him, my fellow branches! Stand tall, while lesser beings burn, while lesser beings fall. The stick will see through it all! The stick was, is, and forever will be a stick!

The sheer number of upvotes I uave gained from the Stick threads have elevated me to the rank of "Obligator". Does this mean I'm eligible to become a Stick Inquisitor? The stick-based form of Hemalurgy essentially involves running too fast with a pointy stick in your hand.

Someone, quick. We must get enough breaths to Awaken the Stick in all his glory.

Obviously, this Vasher's real goal on Roshar, to awaken the glorious Prime Stick. This is truth, the ideal of stickiness is what is the true goal of Vasher on Roshar...