[OB]The Fused

The Fused only can use one surge right? And there are nine orders of Fused. And there are ten surges.... So which of the surges do you guys think the fused can't use? We have seen them use:

Gravitation

Friction

Lightweaving

And Amaram used a lot more( I'm not sure which)

So that leaves a lot of potential surges the fused can't use.

My personal opinion is that they can't use Transformation because (as I understand it) Transformation gives an object stormlight to make it change. It could be that the spren of objects on Roshar won't accept voidlight.

(If this has already been talked to death.... Than I'm sorry)

Edited by Steel Inqusitive

It does seem that the Fused can only use one Surge each, and there should be nine types of Fused.  One theory that seems reasonable is that they're missing the surge of adhesion.  It's the surge shared by Bondsmiths and Windrunners (the most Honor-centric of the Orders), and philosophically it's about connecting things together, which is kind of the opposite of Odium's whole shtick.  So it also seems plausible that they're missing adhesion.

14 minutes ago, Steel Inqusitive said:

True.... But Progression is purely of Cultivation and by the same logic they shouldn't have that surge either. Unless Cultivation is helping them.....

The point that they don't have adhesion isn't because it's more shared by the more honorable Orders, but more that it goes against how Odium works and perceives the world.

2 hours ago, Steel Inqusitive said:

Again, true. However there is a surge of division which is entirely the opposite of binding but is still in honor's  magic system.

I'm not necessarily against the fused not having adhesion. I just think that there should be more to it than Odium's preferences.

Because really the surges aren't linked to shards in any way. They're interpretations of fundamental forces. Personally I don't agree with that reason for why they wouldn't be able access adhesion. 

3 hours ago, Steel Inqusitive said:

True.... But Progression is purely of Cultivation and by the same logic they shouldn't have that surge either. Unless Cultivation is helping them.....

All shards can replicate any magic system but some can make it work efficiently while need to invest more than they normally would fueling their own magic system. 

9 hours ago, Calderis said:

The surges aren't "of" any Shard. We have a Voidbinding chart in the back of tWoK with altered glyphs for all 10 surges. 

This, though there is also the fact that all the red glow around the Fused likely means Odium is actively mimicking a pre-existing system, so his preferences likely wont change them from the pre-existing form (beyond all the more blanket things going on like corruption of spren or a whole new Storm)

On 7/31/2018 at 4:56 PM, galendo said:

It does seem that the Fused can only use one Surge each, and there should be nine types of Fused.  One theory that seems reasonable is that they're missing the surge of adhesion.  It's the surge shared by Bondsmiths and Windrunners (the most Honor-centric of the Orders), and philosophically it's about connecting things together, which is kind of the opposite of Odium's whole shtick.  So it also seems plausible that they're missing adhesion.

What this guy said.

It may be Transformation just because of how powerful that surge is.

• Chaos locked this topic