Thoughts On Steris

MisterGuess

I don't know if this...theory? has been laid out before. I'm hesitant to call it a theory since it doesn't play into the greater workings of the Cosmere, but I suppose it qualifies. Apologies if someone has already said this or if it's plainly obvious and I'm just now catching it. I usually lurk on the Cosemere Theories forum and may have missed it here. A search showed me squat.

So: I think Steris is in love with Ranette. 

I'm rereading Alloy of Law, and after weeks of reading theories about everything under the sun after reading Words of Radiance twice in a week, my brain is set to see connections I missed before. 

It'll be easier to simply list my reasons for thinking this:

--Steris is uncomfortable and stiff when discussing marriage to Wax, and while some of this is her personality, I think given her mechanical attention to detail about the marriage, it hints that she already has a lover.

--Wayne makes a joke about her having a mistress. Brandon rarely puts things in his books without a solid reason, and even though Steris says that she will refrain from her dalliances in order to assure Wax any child is his, she might be saying this because she doesn't want people to know she's bisexual/lesbian. 

--Ranette names her masterwork gun Vindication, after Vin. Wax's favorite gun his his Sterrion 36. Again, Brandon rarely names a thing without good reason, and I can't help but notice the similarity here. If Vindication is named for a woman Ranette reveres, isn't it possible the Sterrion is named for the woman she loves?

--Ranette moved back to Elendel. Why? My thought is that Ranette left to go to the Roughs because she and Steris had a falling out, or maybe there was a risk of scandal or blackmail. I don't have a sense of how same-sex relationships are treated on Scadrial, but any of them would work. Maybe she came back because years of yearning finally forced her to relocate. 

--Ranette rebuffs Wayne's attempts to woo her. This could be because Wayne is Wayne and Ranette simply doesn't see him that way, but from a storytelling perspective it would make sense that she's secretly in love with Steris. 

I don't know how plausible it is, but this is what came into my head fully-formed. I'm probably seeing more in this than actually exists, but Brandon is so good at laying these little clues that I can't help thinking I'm on to something. 

So come one, come all. Feel free to correct me, agree with me, shoot holes through this idea, whatever. Just thought I'd share. 

Ah, I must have missed that. The first thing that struck me was the similarities between Steris and Sterrion, at which point I started looking at the dialog and actions of both women with my theory in mind. I'd be surprised if the overlap there was by coincidence...

I just figure Steris as incredibly socially inept. Being kind of the same way, people have assumed I'm gay more often than I care to relate (hint, it's a lot), but it's really just that romance isn't super big on my mind (which makes the married with a kid thing a bit of a mystery to myself and those who know me)

I just figure Steris as incredibly socially inept. Being kind of the same way, people have assumed I'm gay more often than I care to relate (hint, it's a lot), but it's really just that romance isn't super big on my mind (which makes the married with a kid thing a bit of a mystery to myself and those who know me)

I've actually had the same experience. She might well turn out to be, and were it not for the several clues that lead me to think it's more than a simple case of good characterization, I'd agree with you. 

Are Ranette and Steris ever in the same scenes together? I don't remember that... i'll have to go re-read AoL (needed happening anyway)

Not that I recall. I'm not done with my reread yet, but it's the kind of weird background thing I'd expect to come out in a later book. 

• 4 weeks later...

Although I don't think it will go that way, I still feel this is an awesome theory, and I wish it would work out that way. One of the reasons I disagree is Steris has a problem with Wax in the beginning because of his "uncouth" manner. Ranette doesn't strike me as the "dignified" type. I think Steris's abhorance of Wax is asexual, more focused on how he acts rather than his gender, which would render Ranette not an option. In my opinion at least. But it is very clever, and would be an awesome reveal. 

We do have to consider Steris has a lot of pressure, socially and politically to marry, and be a good wife. For the good of her house's reputation. Her abhorrence to Wax's "uncouth" manner, could be her attempts to rid herself of that...unpopular behavior, because of the pressures she's having to endure in the society she's in. This could be an internal struggle, having to give up on the one she loves (Ranette?) who, not only represents the uncouth lifestyle, but also represents the socially unacceptable idea of homosexual relationships. This combined with needing to provide an heir to continue her family line and house name. Being able to pursue her true love is just not possible in her world. Ranette's bitterness could have something to do with this as well.

I feel like Brandon has touched on these kinds of forbidden relationships in other books (at the moment I can't think of another example, maybe someone could help me out here). His world building is such that he touches on so many aspects of life and social structures, adding more realism, and relatable characters. Though, I feel he might not focus to much on this (if they are lovers) more than just adding another personal struggle and conflict to make his characters more real.

Very interesting, but we'll have to see if he goes in this direction. Although, if Steris is able to break out of the social demand, and embrace her true love, that could lead to it being possible for Wax and Marasi to fall in love.

Hmmm, and another reason Steris could not like Wax is that his "uncouth" manner reminds her of Ranette, and upsets her further. I will need to reread Alloy of Law AGAIN (lol would be the third time), to see how she acts and what she says around him to support this though. I am still skeptical, but I do want to be convinced, it would just be too cool for Steris to end up with Ranette, and thereby Wax ending up with Marasi. Unfortunately then only person left out in the cold would be ole Wayne  :(

YES! This must happen at the climatic end of the final book in the Alloy of Law trilogy. Wayne somehow locates his beloved hat, and just as it is about to fall into an abyss and be lost forever, he snatches it from the brink and they live happily every after!

When I first read the book I thought of Steris as a cold formal woman but reaching the end of the book she struck me as a cold formal woman wrapped around a nympho ;) when Wax saved her she seemed a little exited ;)

• 1 month later...

I am actually fairly certain Steris is not-straight. Not necessarily lesbian, but not straight (my current speculation is asexual. hecka ace. so ace. ace aro. what are relationships people are illogical and I want no part of your shenanigans I have a House to run). While she has never met Ranette, and I don't know that she ever will, unless she for some reason needs to acquire a gun, it is very unlikely they could possibly be in love. But I won't say you can't ship it! It'd be a cool match. Like... Spirk cool. Oh gosh, now I'm thinking about it, oh no.

edit: (I'm also running on the assumption that Marasi is at least bi, but also not straight, based on the trope that going to university makes her more "cultured" and exposes her to more than bland nobility default heteroness so she has actually had the chance to determine at least one part of herself for herself. It'd be a nice piece of character development alongside the illegitimacy issue and all of the emotional problems that stem from that).

Edited by theravenchilde

I am actually fairly certain Steris is not-straight. Not necessarily lesbian, but not straight (my current speculation is asexual. hecka ace. so ace. ace aro. what are relationships people are illogical and I want no part of your shenanigans I have a House to run). While she has never met Ranette, and I don't know that she ever will, unless she for some reason needs to acquire a gun, it is very unlikely they could possibly be in love. But I won't say you can't ship it! It'd be a cool match. Like... Spirk cool. Oh gosh, now I'm thinking about it, oh no.

This.

This.

So this.

I really like asterisk and Marasi, since they are such a change to the previous female characters in Brandon's book. I was a little disappointed that Ranette- the most "masculine" woman- is the only confirmed gay character. I wouldn't be... adverse to Steris being gay, since it might add a different dimension to her relationship with Wax. But...

There aren't enough asexual characters in fiction. And Steris reaction to Wax at the end is... touching. It's actually my second favourite 'romance' in the Cosmere.

edit: (I'm also running on the assumption that Marasi is at least bi, but also not straight, based on the trope that going to university makes her more "cultured" and exposes her to more than bland nobility default heteroness so she has actually had the chance to determine at least one part of herself for herself. It'd be a nice piece of character development alongside the illegitimacy issue and all of the emotional problems that stem from that).

I love all of these headcanons and am adopting them as my own (though any kind of queer Steris would be fantastic).

Gosh, what if they just... wound up as a little found family all living in the Ladrian house - Wax and Steris married for appearance's sake, Ranette living with them because she and Steris are an item; Marasi is a mature woman with a career and so has her own house but lives nearby; Wayne pops in and out but there's always a bedroom waiting for him when he's in town and sometimes he just shows up at breakfast and they all pretend nothing happened.  That would be cute.  

I would also like a couple kids in your AU just for cuteness (they don't necessarily need to be biological. just think of Wax and his hero thing, and some cute spunky little orphan who totally outsmarts him) but yes please!

Also Steris is the one in charge of everyone and everything and eventually she just rules the whole Senate-thing by sheer force of will and excellent organization skills. Wayne is just kind of in awe of her, after she finally puts him through the verbal wringer and shapes him up by eyebrow game alone (assuming her angry eyebrow is strong, which it indubitably is).

I would also like a couple kids in your AU just for cuteness (they don't necessarily need to be biological. just think of Wax and his hero thing, and some cute spunky little orphan who totally outsmarts him) but yes please!

Also Steris is the one in charge of everyone and everything and eventually she just rules the whole Senate-thing by sheer force of will and excellent organization skills. Wayne is just kind of in awe of her, after she finally puts him through the verbal wringer and shapes him up by eyebrow game alone (assuming her angry eyebrow is strong, which it indubitably is).

Yesss, definitely.  I can't see Wax and Steris having biological kids but adopting orphans?  (or babysitting Marasi's kids, should she decide she wants any?)  Absolutely.  

...Can Steris run for Mayor?  Does Elendel even have a Mayor?  Doesn't matter; she can be the first.

Yesss, definitely.  I can't see Wax and Steris having biological kids but adopting orphans?  (or babysitting Marasi's kids, should she decide she wants any?)  Absolutely.  

...Can Steris run for Mayor?  Does Elendel even have a Mayor?  Doesn't matter; she can be the first.

Brandon did not mention any sort of chief executive of the governing body of Elendel, but he did confirm it's reasonably similar to Parliament's House of Lords/Commons, so there's probably some sort of Mayoral body.

I would like to request Steris with a Mayor sash, ASAP. Cosmereversal constant Mayor Steris.

yes babies all of the babies (I could, actually, see them having like, one biological kid? Purely on the basis of logic "Waxillium as a descendant of the great Breeze Ladrian you are beholden to your house to provide a biological heir, and there is a high probability that heir will have some sort of Allomantic or Feruchemic abilities. Logic demands a child." "But Steris, do you demand a child?" "Of course not, but duty does. Duty is heavier than a mountain, and in this case, only physically demands nine months, with a lifetime of parental care that, as proven by the what is it, six orphans now? You have taken under your wing, I think both I and our House needs it and can handle one more child." "But... eww." "Unfortunately.")

wow hey where is that dialogue ability when I need it to write mistbornstuck what the heckie me

Edited by theravenchilde

...did...did you just add the Baker Street Irregulars to Mistborn?

Yeeeeessss....

"This is my information network, the Elendel Irregulars!"

Edited by Quiver

I see that the OP is a forlorn speck of craggy rock rescinding sullenly below the horizon at this point.

I should hope not sullenly, since all of this is based around the idea of OP's theory being correct and cute ways it might play out in canon with the entire cast.

• 1 month later...

I don't know the protocol for about the excerpt chapter, so I'm going to throw this under spoilers and be vague until I can get some clarification:

“I’ve invited all of my family as would be proper,” Steris said. “And all of my acquaintances that merit the regard.” She reached to the side, taking out a sheet of paper. “You, however, have given me only two names of people to invite. Wayne and a woman named Ranette—who, you noted, specifically, probably wouldn’t try to shoot you at your own wedding.”

“Very unlikely,” Wax agreed. “She hasn’t tried to kill me in years. Not seriously, at least.”

Steris sighed, setting the sheet aside.

“Steris . . .” Wax said. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to be flippant. Ranette will be fine. We joke about her, but she’s a good friend. She won’t ruin the wedding. I promise.”

Assuming, no one in that bit is being intentionally deceptive, I think this theory as much I love it, has been debunked. At least without additional steps.

I also don't think Steris is asexual, at least not truly. Remember, she gets around near the end of the book.

She reminds me a lot of Sheldon, with her behavior and her 15 page relationship agreement. Not asexual, but awkward to the point that she is in functional terms.